joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Down to 46 here as CAA commenced. High was 52

Driving through Tolland on 84E it was around 54 but that's the car and probably a bit lower in elevation vs your house.  Once I saw it above 50 and this CAA still had in the 40s I realized this was a major torch.

6 hours ago, ajisai said:

When does BOS usually start to get a snowpack going? Second year living here. Nothing outside, especially after today's torch. 

5 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Certainly by now.....stick a fork in it weenies.....this bird is cooked

ajisai, don't let a weenie from CT lead you astray. it is not often that BOS actually has a snowpack this time of year. Hence the percentages for white christmas is around 40% for the area. early Jan is when it typically begins in BOS. No question that the torch yesterday was brutal, but honestly not all that uncommon.

I hope they get crushed up north, the past few years have had to be brutal for snow enthusiasts. As much as I complain at least I was occasionally in on the goods. In a colder airmass with better high placement everyone from nj/pa and ne would have reason to rejoice. This just isn't the one for more southern folk. Enjoy up north folks and I raise a glass to many more like it for you guys!

49 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

ajisai, don't let a weenie from CT lead you astray. it is not often that BOS actually has a snowpack this time of year. Hence the percentages for white christmas is around 40% for the area. early Jan is when it typically begins in BOS. No question that the torch yesterday was brutal, but honestly not all that uncommon.

Lol....look for once in my life I'd love to be rockin from 12/1 to 3/15.....we've wasted December again and now we're gaining sunlight and have basically 6 weeks to make it happen....cooked....it's over

17 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Lol....look for once in my life I'd love to be rockin from 12/1 to 3/15.....we've wasted December again and now we're gaining sunlight and have basically 6 weeks to make it happen....cooked....it's over

:lol:  I hate to tell you but that happens every year after around 12/21.  At the same time climo gets colder for another 4 weeks and winter peaks at the end of January or early February.  In another words, peak isn't for another 5-6 weeks.  Then, we've had some of our largest storms in March/April.

So, calling it over in December when things have only just begun is LOL worthy but you're welcome to think what you want.

23 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

:lol:  I hate to tell you but that happens every year after around 12/21.  At the same time climo gets colder for another 4 weeks and winter peaks at the end of January or early February.  In another words, peak isn't for another 5-6 weeks.  Then, we've had some of our largest storms in March/April.

So, calling it over in December when things have only just begun is LOL worthy but you're welcome to think what you want.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Where's all this cold air?  Temps in the 30's for low just about everywhere in SNE.

This is what I mean about people not getting much below freezing. We've had northwest winds for a full day now, and it's still 41F here in the Bronx. Definitely not a cold airmass, and temps will creep up Thursday morning w SE winds.

3 hours ago, ice1972 said:

In my 70 years....still hasn't happened.   You may wait awhile.

Sometimes you get big snows early but you always lose the pack before rebuilding.  It just doesn't happen other than very rare years.   12/1 normal max is mid 40s at BOS.  1/1 it's mid to upper 30s.  

Just now, weathafella said:

In my 70 years....still hasn't happened.   You may wait awhile.

Sometimes you get big snows early but you always lose the pack before rebuilding.  It just doesn't happen other than very rare years.   12/1 normal max is mid 40s at BOS.  1/1 it's mid to upper 30s.  

He gets confused on his climo sometimes...he was ranting about not getting big snow in late November when it was a high QPF event...and I had to remind him that in a random sample of QPF events in late November, his chances were probably somewhere in the 15% range that he would be seeing snow out of it.

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He gets confused on his climo sometimes...he was ranting about not getting big snow in late November when it was a high QPF event...and I had to remind him that in a random sample of QPF events in late November, his chances were probably somewhere in the 15% range that he would be seeing snow out of it.

I hate climo......hey what can I say.....I want it to be Lake Tahoe in West Hartford......I guess I should move there...lol

Hi everyone!  Been awhile since I've posted in this subforum, and had a storm event worthy of a prospective chase; last one was the 2/8/16 blizzard in Plymouth.  

Typically I don't chase a prospective event that doesn't possess blizzard potential.   In this case, I'm in Lancaster,  Pa. visiting my wife's family.   Given the high probability of an explosively developing miller b, with such dynamics that it's favorable for possible thundersnow and 20" totals, in Northern NH, I'm considering a 500 mile drive to the North Conway area.  Would reposition from there,  if necessary.   

OTOH, my wife is strongly encouraging we drive to Oswego, NY, instead,  as it's roughly half the distance, simply to play in 12" snow with our 9 year old.  Still unsure which we will ultimately choose.  

Regardless,  I'm hoping as many as possible (in this subforum) experience a significant and enjoyable event!

5 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Hi everyone!  Been awhile since I've posted in this subforum, and had a storm event worthy of a prospective chase; last one was the 2/8/16 blizzard in Plymouth.  

Typically I don't chase a prospective event that doesn't possess blizzard potential.   In this case, I'm in Lancaster,  Pa. visiting my wife's family.   Given the high probability of an explosively developing miller b, with such dynamics that it's favorable for possible thundersnow and 20" totals, in Northern NH, I'm considering a 500 mile drive to the North Conway area.  Would reposition from there,  if necessary.   

OTOH, my wife is strongly encouraging we drive to Oswego, NY, instead,  as it's roughly half the distance, simply to play in 12" snow with our 9 year old.  Still unsure which we will ultimately choose.  

Regardless,  I'm hoping as many as possible (in this subforum) experience a significant and enjoyable event!

Try one of the ski areas in So. VT maybe?  Okemo or Mt. Snow  ar even up to Sunapee in NH. If you just want to frolic with the 9 year old.

I finally got to watch Sully. The movie about the water landing on the Hudson Jan 15, 2009. First, Fantastic movie, and Captain Sullenberger is absolutely amazing. But Holy cow, I forgot about the snow pack that year. I had to think back, and i had just moved back from living outside Las Vegas. I remember driving to Watertown in my truck to help my friend shovel. And there was no room to park because of the huge snow banks. I had to park at a stop and shop and walk to his house.

Archived