Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Day after tomorrow is a great way to describe it, especially in Boston.

Something I'll add is every single big ticket storm in that stretch seemed to break for the better regardless of the circumstances. Each event produced exactly right to maximize snowfall

Totally true. That SWFE event after the blizz got enhanced by frontogenesis and then morphed into a coastal, the snowathon just went for days with great coastal enhancement from Cape Ann down through Weymouth, the mid-level magic kept digging south of Long Island etc. And every day it seemed like OES fluff would pop for a refresher. Hyperactive. Such an awesome period. Better than Jan '11 by a mile, and that's hard to do.

as much as I hated being on the outside looking in that winter, I never tire of hearing about the magic you folks experienced to the east. You guys had it all, the big storms with charming smaller ones mixed in, crazy rates, crazy depths.

The only event here that winter that was kind of interesting was the swfe that morphed to a coastal with a brief crazy death band at the end to give us a foot total for the storm. The sustained cold and lousy snow growth in storms with 10-1 baking powder did aid in retention and peak depths just eclipsed 2 feet here but it seemed so dull compared to jan 2011

even with the fluff factor out east that winter, to even briefly have 40 inch plus on the level depths is mind boggling

49 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

as much as I hated being on the outside looking in that winter, I never tire of hearing about the magic you folks experienced to the east. You guys had it all, the big storms with charming smaller ones mixed in, crazy rates, crazy depths.

The only event here that winter that was kind of interesting was the swfe that morphed to a coastal with a brief crazy death band at the end to give us a foot total for the storm. The sustained cold and lousy snow growth in storms with 10-1 baking powder did aid in retention and peak depths just eclipsed 2 feet here but it seemed so dull compared to jan 2011

even with the fluff factor out east that winter, to even briefly have 40 inch plus on the level depths is mind boggling

14-15 proved to me that even a good winter could be very frustrating.  Experienced 4 events with warning criteria forecasts that verified at almost exactly 1/8 of the low end of the progged range:  Nov. 2, 4-8" got 0.5"; Dec. 7-9, 10-16" got 1.2"; Jan 27 (in SNJ) 12-16" got 1.5" (but got to clear the 20" I'd missed at home); Feb 15, 12-18" got 1.5".  My location is usually high end for snowpack, but it was surprisingly modest that winter.  Feb opened with 26" and climbed to 31" on 2/2 with the cold blizzard.  Then we had another 16" with temps remaining under 30 for all but 3-4 hours (Feb avg temp was 3F), and finished the month at...26".  That's hard to do.

Then I learned the real meaning of frustration the next year.   ;)

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Its amazing how fast we went into deep winter...first the snow, now the cold.  Riding the lift today with temps near zero on the upper mountain and wind chills in the -20s is quite the eye-opener haha.  Its like in 9 days it transformed from meh to holy crap winter is here in full.

Well we don't have the snow, but the inlet near me that is brackish and turns immediately into a small bay is getting ice on it. I don't think that happened at all last two Decembers lol. At least it's getting that look and feel. 

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Well we don't have the snow, but the inlet near me that is brackish and turns immediately into a small bay is getting ice on it. I don't think that happened at all last two Decembers lol. At least it's getting that look and feel. 

And you and Bryce can sled all next week which will be awesome. He may never have gone sledding in Dec?

Archived