Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

21 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's an absolute rarity that you get a KNYC, plopped down in the middle of the city with no aviation interest. 

And prior to 1961, NYC's "official" obs site was sticking out into the New York Bight at Battery Place.  Fortunately, that city DID have an alternate complete long term record up amongst the trees (though fewer of them than today, another point of appropriate obs-site argument for folks down there.)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must move higher!  Lol. Probably about a 3 inch difference between 80 m where i am in st. Johns to 200 m out mt. Pearl/mt. Carson/Paradise.

That scenario played out here last week. Just a few mangled flakes at my place at 27m while YHZ saw 15cms at 135m and 11kms further inland. I feel your pain...lol

see - we're just living in the wrong part of the world.   god!  people and there expectations around here - you get what you deserve for living in stinkin' southern new england. 

"..

Snowed under in paradise! Hawaii’s Big Island peaks expect 20-30 inches"

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

see - we're just living in the wrong part of the world.   god!  people and there expectations around here - you get what you deserve for living in stinkin' southern new england. 

"..

Snowed under in paradise! Hawaii’s Big Island peaks expect 20-30 inches"

BIG ISLAND SUMMITS-
INCLUDING THE CITY OF...MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA ABOVE 8000 FEET
420 AM HST FRI DEC 2 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM HST SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...BIG ISLAND SUMMITS ABOVE 11000 FEET.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...LOW VISIBILITY AND WIND.

* ACCUMULATIONS...NEW ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30 INCHES TODAY
  THROUGH SATURDAY.

* TIMING...THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUS DRIVING AND HIKING CONDITIONS DUE TO HEAVY
  SNOW...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND FREEZING FOG.

* WINDS...SOUTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

By the way, Eek did you miss out on this?

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
950 AM HST FRI DEC 02 2016

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0939 AM     FLASH FLOOD      1 ENE HANALEI           22.21N 159.49W
12/02/2016                   KAUAI              HI   EMERGENCY MNGR  

KUHIO HWY HAS BEEN CLOSED DUE TO THE OVERFLOW OF HANALEI 
            RIVER NEAR THE HANALEI BRIDGE.

0941 AM     FLASH FLOOD      6 SE PAHALA             19.14N 155.42W
12/02/2016                   PHZ122             HI   EMERGENCY MNGR  

HWY 11 HAS BEEN CLOSED TO DUE TO FLASH FLOODING AT KAWA 
            FLATS NEAR MILE MARKERS 58 AND 59. POLICE REPORTED 1 FT 
            OF WATER ACROSS ROAD.

Suddenly ripping here.  Everything is white.  I had no idea until I went to take out the trash and got a very pleasant surprise.  The only snow left had been in a couple of piles.  Yeah snow! It will make putting up outdoor lights tomorrow a bit more festive feeling.

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

By the way, Eek did you miss out on this?

Don't I always?  My ability to dodge interesting weather on vacation has really surpassed simple bad luck and moved into a realm where supernatural forces may be at work.

I'd ballpark that less than a half inch of rain fell one morning on Kauai, and then the mountains suddenly had waterfalls spilling out everywhere. I can't even imagine what a prolonged heavy rain event would turn things into there.  

17 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Don't I always?  My ability to dodge interesting weather on vacation has really surpassed simple bad luck and moved into a realm where supernatural forces may be at work.

I'd ballpark that less than a half inch of rain fell one morning on Kauai, and then the mountains suddenly had waterfalls spilling out everywhere. I can't even imagine what a prolonged heavy rain event would turn things into there.  

I was so amazed by that. We had a shower (literally a 2 min shower) at our hotel near Princeville. When the vis cleared over the mtns say maybe an hour later...there were waterfalls coming out from everywhere. Man, I'll never forget that image. I just sat there pounding a Mai Tai and completely captivated.

2 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Most stunning landscape I have ever seen there. I rented a 2 story condo in Princeville with my wife we went in July 2010 when the water is calm on the north coast. We saw double and triple rainbows out over the water there every night lol we were there pretty much after the rain. The backdrop of waterfalls is literally the most amazing sight I have ever seen. I highly recommend going the condo route , I think we spent like $250 a night for 1300 square feet, 2 floors with a balcony, right on the edge of a cliff looking out or the na pali coast. Had its own private beach too. Only catch was minimum of 4 nights.We will definitely be going back....

LOL, that's when I was there. July 2010. We were at the Westin Princeville. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ghosts of 2015-2016 being exorcised right now....snowy outlook going forward too on the models.  This is all good news.

Dec_3_base_zpsyinpfe6i.jpg

We're not getting anything like what you've seen, yet.  However, my modest total of 2.7" is more than last year thru 12/28.  And there's actually some interesting things on models; last year it wasn't until the 12/29 storm began to show on models about a week earlier that there was anything but blah.

23 hours ago, RedSky said:

Will they need a caretaker for the five winter months it's closed ?

Five? Try nine. Lakes of the Clouds, 500 feet lower and a bit more sheltered, is open early June to mid September. And still has to deal with serious riming events, frozen pipes, etc. Their proposal is to send sewage down the mountain in a pipe, so that basically can't freeze, so you're really looking at that time period. Off-season, Lakes is boarded up and locked. Of course, since you actually have to hike there (and 90%+ of hikers to Lakes come from the valley, not from the summit) it would be a different clientele at this facility who probably wouldn't put up with the rustic conditions you might encounter (pretty constant mold from the pretty constant humidity, draftiness, etc). It's also about 100 feet from the AT and there have been wind farms miles away kiboshed because it impacted the trail's view, so that might be a hurdle, too. 

Any idea of what the little band of snow sitting over Franconia/Waterville is producing? Traffic in the notch looks slow on Google Maps (and from a report from a friend who drove through it) and it looks like someone could pick up several inches out of that. 

1 hour ago, ariof said:

Any idea of what the little band of snow sitting over Franconia/Waterville is producing? Traffic in the notch looks slow on Google Maps (and from a report from a friend who drove through it) and it looks like someone could pick up several inches out of that. 

I've driven through Notch Effect Snow. it is unreal. can't see 10feet in front of you. traffic crawls at 5mph and you hope you don't get rear-ended or you don't rear end the person in front of you

Archived