Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter Thread

mattie g

52 minutes ago, mappy said:

My kid gave an early Christmas gift, her strep throat. Waiting for meds now. Guess it was good I took today off as it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you follow H2O's professional advice before heading back home? As he said, 'tis the season to share good tidings!

Sorry for the yucks hitting over the holidays, hopefully you can get a bit better by tomorrow evening. I had the junk last

week that is going around. 

While here I'll go ahead and wish everyone a great and safe holidays! Be extra careful if you hit the road.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, H2O said:

Back away you sickly people  fa la la la la la la la la

Tis the season to get fevers  fa la la la la la la la la

Doctors call in our prescriptions fa la la la la la la la la

Blow the snot out of your noses fa la la la la la la la la

As the good 'ol Dr Hook said in "Cover Of The Rolling Stone",

" Ah, that's beautiful "

4 hours ago, mappy said:

Could be worse, my throat is so swollen that eating is difficult. Drinking anything is like a million needles in my throat, hell even breathing is labored. Yay!

Dr appointment at 1130.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh that suck Mappy.  Hope the meds kick in soon so you can feel somewhat better for Christmas and for little mappy.

While Im here, I miss you guys, NC is nice and all but I miss the peeps up here.   Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah to everyone

7 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

On a seasonal note, blessings on Hoffman for being so patient with weenies. Good lord.

Thanks but it must be in my nature as a teacher because I don't mind. Besides we have a truly great forum and regional discussions, better to take a few minutes and explain things then let the thread fill up with "where is my snow" posts from a few people. 

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

A former astronaut and one of our leaders at Goddard died of cancer today. Give this a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/opinion/sunday/cancer-and-climate-change.html?_r=0

Thanks for sharing the article. There's a lot to take away from that short piece but his perspective on life is something to emulate.  Sorry for your personal, and our global loss.

And he was just sixty years old? Awful. 

33 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks for sharing the article. There's a lot to take away from that short piece but his perspective on life is something to emulate.  Sorry for your personal, and our global loss.

And he was just sixty years old? Awful. 

Yup he was too young. By the time they found out about a year ago, it was already terminal. 

Why can't adults bounce back as quickly as kids? My daughter has one dose of antibiotics and was fine the next morning, me... three doses and I still feel awful. 

We can. When I was a teen I had a severe bout of mononucleosis. Kept me out of school for 4 months. My immune system was a trainwreck for some time after that. I needed to build it back up with a well-balanced diet, lots of fruit and veggies daily, exercise for general overall health, etc. Now that I'm in my 40s, I still eat a well-balanced diet, am physically active, and take a general multi vite daily as a supplement. I have 2 young children that are perpetually dragging germs in the house, but I rarely fall victim to whatever they bring home. When I do feel a sniffle or scratchy throat coming on, I supplement with zinc but not too much because it can cause stomach cramps if you consume too much. Sometimes my body fights it off immediately and the cold or whatever never takes hold. Other times I will catch a minor cold with weak symptoms and can kick it in 1 or 2 days. I'm not one of those germophobes either.....I don't wash my hands 400 times a day or anything, but I do avoid the obvious like putting my hands near my eyes, nose, or mouth after being in public places, etc. And as for antibiotics, I don't think I've used one in 10 years. Maybe its luck, maybe its in my genes, or maybe the overall healthy thing actually helps? Regardless, I hope you feel better soon.

P.S. Alot of folks think taking vitamin C when u get sick will help, but in reality by that point it is usually too late. Vit C will help build and maintain your immune system if consumed regularly but wont really help fight off infection. It can help keep u from getting sick but doesnt "make you better".

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Merry Christmas to my southern friends. And Randy and Andy too I guess. :P

It's not Christmas yet but thats ok. I don't expect NY fans to be able to tell the date.

merry Christmas to you.  Thank you for all the good you and other firefighters do all year, every year.  Be safe this holiday season

14 minutes ago, H2O said:

I have to go to the grocery store this morning to pick up a couple last things for tomorrow. If I don't post again today it was because I died in a mass stampede to get the last redi whip.

I need some bacon for Christmas breakfast. Wife requires the super-expensive non-cured stuff though.

I like bacon.

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We can. When I was a teen I had a severe bout of mononucleosis. Kept me out of school for 4 months. My immune system was a trainwreck for some time after that. I needed to build it back up with a well-balanced diet, lots of fruit and veggies daily, exercise for general overall health, etc. Now that I'm in my 40s, I still eat a well-balanced diet, am physically active, and take a general multi vite daily as a supplement. I have 2 young children that are perpetually dragging germs in the house, but I rarely fall victim to whatever they bring home. When I do feel a sniffle or scratchy throat coming on, I supplement with zinc but not too much because it can cause stomach cramps if you consume too much. Sometimes my body fights it off immediately and the cold or whatever never takes hold. Other times I will catch a minor cold with weak symptoms and can kick it in 1 or 2 days. I'm not one of those germophobes either.....I don't wash my hands 400 times a day or anything, but I do avoid the obvious like putting my hands near my eyes, nose, or mouth after being in public places, etc. And as for antibiotics, I don't think I've used one in 10 years. Maybe its luck, maybe its in my genes, or maybe the overall healthy thing actually helps? Regardless, I hope you feel better soon.

P.S. Alot of folks think taking vitamin C when u get sick will help, but in reality by that point it is usually too late. Vit C will help build and maintain your immune system if consumed regularly but wont really help fight off infection. It can help keep u from getting sick but doesnt "make you better".

Don't forget to avoid fingers in the ears too while out in public.  I am on anti-biotics now for ear infections.  Started a couple weeks ago in left ear, that got better, then started up in right ear a few days ago.

Shopped local last night and hit up 2 of 3 new Distilleries in Frederick. The stuff we got from Tenth Ward is a special Cerise Liqueur Bourbon that we put in hot cider and drank last night. So good that we went out and got more cider. Got some Gin and Vodka from McClintock, the vodka goes down very smooth.  

liquor.jpg

Speaking of beers, I mentioned a few pages ago that the chase was about to start for Hardywood Christmas Morning and Kentucky Christmas Morning. The Kentucky is so much harder to find, but we lucked into some on Thursday morning.

Santa will be getting a pour of this to go with his cookies.

IMG_5259.JPG

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived