Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter Thread

mattie g

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, high risk said:

In the thread for last weekend's storm, we had reached the conclusion that the NAM 3km parallel nest precip was being incorrectly plotted on tropical tidbits (values too high).   Levi Cowan confirmed the error yesterday, and it has been corrected as of the 00z cycle today.

Thank you for the catch and the update

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I'm starting to wonder if my excitement over winter and snow here was a little misguided/misplaced...

That said, I actually really love this cold. Beats Louisiana heat any day.

It's not.  Most years we get a few legit events and it's really fun.  Obviously we're not Boston, but we do ok.  

Its the 20th of Dec and the temps have been perfect for the month. Cold enough to remind you its Winter. Even the warmer days of 40's to low 50's we've had are still pretty good considering where we were the past few Decembers. I have not seen a single flake so far at my house or anywhere I traveled so far this winter but it just feels "better" than the last few, regardless of the lack of snow. I guess it's like being at a strip joint. We are in the room, but not up front with rolled up cash in our hands to spread around. We watch from afar.

58 minutes ago, mappy said:

I'm so out of the loop weather wise... what's good? 

Chill and Hoffman and a few others noting that m a y b e things are not quite so dire heading into January, that by second week or so the pattern may have re-shuffled.

Also, a few people holding out hope for the chance of something frozen north and west from some of the precip on Christmas Eve (altho that seems like a long shot murmurings, but not completely out of question).

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Chill and Hoffman and a few others noting that m a y b e things are not quite so dire heading into January, that by second week or so the pattern may have re-shuffled.

Also, a few people holding out hope for the chance of something frozen north and west from some of the precip on Christmas Eve (altho that seems like a long shot murmurings, but not completely out of question).

thanks! last few days have been hectic, kiddo was home sick with strep and a double ear infection. back to normal today. 

23 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yikes, glad she is better. Ear infections no bueno - at least antibiotics still work for those.

the ear infection isn't even what sent her to the dr. the throat did, just so happened she also had the double ear infection. never once complained about it. however, we think she may have had it for a while as both her ear drums were/are slightly perforated. we have to get her attention first, then speak to her in order for her to clearly hear us. doctor thinks it will clear up in a month, otherwise we have to go see an ENT to make sure its nothing too serious. no idea how long she has been walking around with muffled hearing. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

the ear infection isn't even what sent her to the dr. the throat did, just so happened she also had the double ear infection. never once complained about it. however, we think she may have had it for a while as both her ear drums were/are slightly perforated. we have to get her attention first, then speak to her in order for her to clearly hear us. doctor thinks it will clear up in a month, otherwise we have to go see an ENT to make sure its nothing too serious. no idea how long she has been walking around with muffled hearing. 

Hopefully it clears up for her.  Sinus and ear issues are miserable for little kids, and for some adults.  Though, in my case, when I get sick, I'm usually worse than a little kid.

As proof, I've had a tube in my ear for a year and a half as a result of a cold clogging my ear.   It's finally gotten better, but only after having balloon sinuplasty for my always-clogged sinuses.  By the way, anyone considering sinus surgery should really look into balloon sinuplasy first.  It worked great for me.  Easy in-and-out procedure, not nearly as many colds, nor as severe, and no sinus infections.

Glad the "kiddo' is feeling better for the holiday.

58 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hopefully it clears up for her.  Sinus and ear issues are miserable for little kids, and for some adults.  Though, in my case, when I get sick, I'm usually worse than a little kid.

As proof, I've had a tube in my ear for a year and a half as a result of a cold clogging my ear.   It's finally gotten better, but only after having balloon sinuplasty for my always-clogged sinuses.  By the way, anyone considering sinus surgery should really look into balloon sinuplasy first.  It worked great for me.  Easy in-and-out procedure, not nearly as many colds, nor as severe, and no sinus infections.

Glad the "kiddo' is feeling better for the holiday.

Thanks! Hoping it clears up too. And very thankful she got sick Sun/Mon vs tomorrow/Friday. She turns four tomorrow and has a holiday party at daycare, then her holiday party at preschool Friday. So, really happy she won't be missing all the fun. 

Of course, her father and I both have a lot of drainage, sore throats, clogged ears too. Go figure. :) 

Glad you were able to get your issues fixed! Will definitely keep that in mind should we need to do any of that in the future. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

I'm a little older than your daughter but I have been dealing with ear infections for the last month or so.  Will be seeing the ENT on Friday ... again.

17 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Was just watching some old footage, how was the Feb 13th, 2014 storm around here? Mixing issues?

I enjoyed it.  Had 18" of powder and then it turned to 33F drizzle for about 6 hours at the end.  Might have had some sleet in there before the drizzle, don't remember for sure.  Got cold the next day.  Kids had a great time building forts, etc.  

58 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Was just watching some old footage, how was the Feb 13th, 2014 storm around here? Mixing issues?

You got the view from Columbia. Here a bit closer to DC in Rockville, we got ~13.5" in the overnight blitz which turned to sleet right before sunrise. And then the melting started with drizzle and light rain as temps climbed to the upper 30's. With surface temps still above freezing, ~2.5" accumulated even on the roads as the upper level energy swung through after sundown. 

9 hours ago, gymengineer said:

You got the view from Columbia. Here a bit closer to DC in Rockville, we got ~13.5" in the overnight blitz which turned to sleet right before sunrise. And then the melting started with drizzle and light rain as temps climbed to the upper 30's. With surface temps still above freezing, ~2.5" accumulated even on the roads as the upper level energy swung through after sundown. 

Ah, that's right it was in two waves! Forgot that detail. Was maybe 14" by morning than another 4" with the ULL.

42 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Happy Birthday to your daughter!  

Time flies when we're tracking fantasy storms and you're beating back angry posts from city dwellers about how much snow you get up there. :) 

Thank! and yes -- lol this will be our fourth winter in Parkton too. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived