Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2016 Obs

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been so focused on the mid-long range looks today really took me by surprise. I thought is was supposed to be low 60s, but I wasn't prepared for the high of 68 today! Yuck! In the meantime, my temp has risen from 44 to 50 over the past hour and a half :fulltilt:

SIGH... winter in the SE! :facepalm:

Boy, Montana and the Dakotas have really had some fun this month - double digits below average. Maybe they'll share the love a little?

Record setting temps. To add insult to injury, x-mas day will be even warmer. Merry X-mas eve :weep:

...THE ATLANTA CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR DECEMBER 24 2016...
VALID AS OF 0700 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1878 TO 2016

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
 TODAY
  MAXIMUM         73R   254 PM  72    2015  52     21       72
  MINIMUM         46    239 AM   3    1983  35     11       65

4 hours ago, cbmclean said:

RDU got a little warmer than forecast.  It hit 60.  That makes three straight Xmas days at 60+ and 4 out of the last 5.  This is getting old.

I'll trade you. It was way warmer in SC today, and way warmer than forecast. GSP up to 69 today after a 71 last year. REDICULOUS! And CAE was 75 today after a 78 last year. I joked that it felt more like Easter today than Christmas. Sorry, but 70 s at Christmas should be illegal, that's just wrong. 

You were lucky. Just checked and Asheville even made it to 65 today. Were you overcast? GSP was supposed to be overcast and 63 but it was clear as a bell, resulting in the torch. 

29 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I'll trade you. It was way warmer in SC today, and way warmer than forecast. GSP up to 69 today after a 71 last year. REDICULOUS! And CAE was 75 today after a 78 last year. I joked that it felt more like Easter today than Christmas. Sorry, but 70 s at Christmas should be illegal, that's just wrong. 

You were lucky. Just checked and Asheville even made it to 65 today. Were you overcast? GSP was supposed to be overcast and 63 but it was clear as a bell, resulting in the torch. 

I am actually visiting my wife's family in Old Fort which is about 35 miles east of Asheville.  It was mostly overcast all day so stayed a little cooler.  But there is no denying it has been two straight ugly Xmases in the SE.  December has beeen mostly depressing for me these last five years, since that magical 2010.

3 hours ago, yotaman said:

Line of heavy storms have moved thru this morning, still raining. Have picked up .36" so far with lots of thunder and lightning. What's that old saying around these parts, Thunder in the winter , snow to follow in 10 days?

I saw a post by Time Warner Chief Met Gary Stephenson and the chances of seeing some snow within 7-10 days after a T storm in the winter is 13% chance of happening

10 hours ago, yotaman said:

Line of heavy storms have moved thru this morning, still raining. Have picked up .36" so far with lots of thunder and lightning. What's that old saying around these parts, Thunder in the winter , snow to follow in 10 days?

Sigh. Looks like its time for a repost of my winter southern folklore.

Top Six Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter then average squirrels the next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

6. A ring around the moon means your Lasik surgeon screwed up.

Archived