Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2016/17

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2017 at 8:31 AM, Fozz said:

I'll have to figure out how much snow I got before March 10, but it has to be around 2-2.5".

As far as the rest....

3/10: 1.1"

3/14: 5.5"

3/19: 1.6"

Hey mappy, it turns out that a COOP in Towson recorded 2.6" before March 10. Since it's not exactly where I am, the total may be off by about half an inch or so, but it can't be that far off. If I use that number, that would make my total around 10.8", +/- 0.5".

If that margin of error is acceptable to you, then you can go ahead and add that to your map. If not, you can leave it out.

OK MoCo and NOVA people -- need your help. I have a few lower points (3.8 Leesburg, 4.5 Poolesville, 4.3 Gaithersburg, 3.8 Olney all CoCoRaHs stations) that I need to confirm whether these are correct or not. There are quite a few points around it that are 5+ so these four points are introducing the darker green. Can someone please confirm, or deny, that these locations are correct? Otherwise, I'm removing them. 

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

12 hours ago, mappy said:

Thanks, Fozz. I'll put it in and see what it looks like.

Hey, I saw your post in the obs thread. I'm guilty of not keeping up with measurements this year. I can give you ballpark numbers....maybe it'll help with validation or smoothing out the numbers. That said, the number I had at my house was approx. 4" and my folks had somewhere around 13-15". Wish I had better numbers to give :(

6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Hey, I saw your post in the obs thread. I'm guilty of not keeping up with measurements this year. I can give you ballpark numbers....maybe it'll help with validation or smoothing out the numbers. That said, the number I had at my house was approx. 4" and my folks had somewhere around 13-15". Wish I had better numbers to give :(

No worries! I was more concerned about your parents, as AA county is pretty evenly covered (your 4" fits in fine). 

The Hereford Zone is a pain. As my location is the only one I have confirmed totals for, and right now it seems low compared to surrounding areas. If 13-15" is what your parents got, then mine is definitely low, as I only have 12.5". Of course I could have missed something somewhere, but I'm usually pretty good at least with getting totals from others areas to give me an idea of what I may have gotten while not at home. . 

Either way -- thanks! 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

OK MoCo and NOVA people -- need your help. I have a few lower points (3.8 Leesburg, 4.5 Poolesville, 4.3 Gaithersburg, 3.8 Olney all CoCoRaHs stations) that I need to confirm whether these are correct or not. There are quite a few points around it that are 5+ so these four points are introducing the darker green. Can someone please confirm, or deny, that these locations are correct? Otherwise, I'm removing them. 

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

What is the identifier for the 3.8" location?  I assume you've kicked out VA-LD-26 and VA-LD-17.

On 3/24/2017 at 7:41 AM, mappy said:

Hi guys -- so these are the totals that I have. Please confirm if they are correct for you. If you do not see your name, means I have nothing for you. 

Many thanks!

Capture.JPG

Hey Katie...kurtstack may have taken a seasonal hiatus and isn't going to respond, but I'm positive that his totals would be almost identical to mine and yoda's. My guess is that you don't have his totals after Sleetfest17. In that case, you may want to drop his total if it wonks up your final map.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

Hey Katie...kurtstack may have taken a seasonal hiatus and isn't going to respond, but I'm positive that his totals would be almost identical to mine and yoda's. My guess is that you don't have his totals after Sleetfest17. In that case, you may want to drop his total if it wonks up your final map.

Thanks, Mattie. If he is similar to you two, then his area is covered pretty good. Appreciate the heads up. 

9 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I think so.  The sleetstorm is literally the only recorded snowfall at that location.  We had a crap winter, but it wasn't a complete shutout in Leesburg until March.

Great, thank you!

11 hours ago, winterymix said:

12/17     0.7

1/6         1.0

1/7         1.0

3/10       0.5

3/14       4.5

3/19       2.2

total     9.9"

Thankisses to Mapgirl

thanks, Rich!

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Table Mappy posted shows me with 3.6" for some reason.  My updated total (Page 1 of this thread) lists my total of 8.9".  Thanks, Mappy, for your map-making efforts.

Ahh.. .that's why. i never went back to page one. sorry! youre updated. 

20 hours ago, mappy said:

Ahh.. .that's why. i never went back to page one. sorry! youre updated. 

Thanks.  I found it makes more sense to edit the original post rather than provide new posts with each event.  Doing this would keep the number of pages low, and prevent you from having to scroll through them.  If, like I do, one references the previous post when updating, then it saves one from also having to scroll through to find the previous post as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived