SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 - 2018 Winter Sports Thread

Jonger

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just rode from Harbor Springs to Alanson to Pellston today.  Snow there was epic last night.  Easily 15-18" probably more in some locations.  Rode East Jordan through Jordan Valley the day before.  Lots and lots of snow.  Today was probably the best day I have ever experienced on a sled, never had so much powder.   

1 hour ago, bpski said:

Just rode from Harbor Springs to Alanson to Pellston today.  Snow there was epic last night.  Easily 15-18" probably more in some locations.  Rode East Jordan through Jordan Valley the day before.  Lots and lots of snow.  Today was probably the best day I have ever experienced on a sled, never had so much powder.   

Nice. I'm looking forward to it.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, josh_4184 said:

Snow is still pretty good here, got a few more inches today, havent rode all week thought been pretty busy. 

How is it looking up there Josh after the rain last night? We'll be up no matter what for the long MLK weekend but just wondering what we can expect. Thanks..... It's pretty crazy how different this winter season has been so far comparing areas south of West branch to areas north of that. Been a pretty good/great winter so far to the north and pretty crappy to the south. It's mother natures way of evening things out after the past few years of South East lower MI getting more snow then a big chunk of northern MI excluding the snow belts.

5 hours ago, slow poke said:

How is it looking up there Josh after the rain last night? We'll be up no matter what for the long MLK weekend but just wondering what we can expect. Thanks..... It's pretty crazy how different this winter season has been so far comparing areas south of West branch to areas north of that. Been a pretty good/great winter so far to the north and pretty crappy to the south. It's mother natures way of evening things out after the past few years of South East lower MI getting more snow then a big chunk of northern MI excluding the snow belts.

Not to bad, rained pretty heavy for about 4 hours, then switched back to snow and picked up a couple inches, that was after we picked up about 4-5 " before the rain. Probably pick up 4-5" tonight and maybe some light LES through Friday.  Trails look pretty good from what I saw along C38. Still have over 2' on the ground but the snow pack is a lot firmer now so off-trail wont be as good. 

On 1/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, josh_4184 said:

Not to bad, rained pretty heavy for about 4 hours, then switched back to snow and picked up a couple inches, that was after we picked up about 4-5 " before the rain. Probably pick up 4-5" tonight and maybe some light LES through Friday.  Trails look pretty good from what I saw along C38. Still have over 2' on the ground but the snow pack is a lot firmer now so off-trail wont be as good. 

Thanks for the update Josh, sounds good up there again this weekend. Been a nice stretch of winter weather up your way. Let's hope it continues after the warm up next week to finish out the winter. 

Thanks for the update Josh, sounds good up there again this weekend. Been a nice stretch of winter weather up your way. Let's hope it continues after the warm up next week to finish out the winter. 

IMG_1715.PNGNot looking good for winter activities for a while.

20 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Unfortunately a lot of damage has been done. Lost over half my snowpack. 

You'll likely gain back everything you lost and then some in the next few weeks.  N Lake MI is still wide open, when in an average year is starting to tighten up. I think the snow belts will end up above normal for the season.

15 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

You'll likely gain back everything you lost and then some in the next few weeks.  N Lake MI is still wide open, when in an average year is starting to tighten up. I think the snow belts will end up above normal for the season.

There's a decent chance we could still end up above normal, and I'd say it's pretty likely the belts are above normal. 

2 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Unfortunately a lot of damage has been done. Lost over half my snowpack. 

Yup. Going to be starting over.

This warmup will lower my winter grade at least a full mark or more. It's a BIG fricken warmup.

The UP is still doing ok.

IMG_1722.JPG

Just now, slow poke said:

IMG_1722.JPG

Just got back from a week in WY. It was cold and windy and somewhat snowy. Seen very little sun unfortunately. My son even got a little frost bite it was so cold. If anyone is looking for winter conditions, head west. The ridding is great right now out there.

7 hours ago, slow poke said:

Just got back from a week in WY. It was cold and windy and somewhat snowy. Seen very little sun unfortunately. My son even got a little frost bite it was so cold. If anyone is looking for winter conditions, head west. The ridding is great right now out there.

Where did you go?

I have been to Togwotee a bunch of times, been a few years, but I'll be back again some more.

Riding the mountains is completely different (and 10X more fun) than mid-west riding but its hard to explain how different it is, you just need you experience it to fully understand.

2 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

Where did you go?

I have been to Togwotee a bunch of times, been a few years, but I'll be back again some more.

Riding the mountains is completely different (and 10X more fun) than mid-west riding but its hard to explain how different it is, you just need you experience it to fully understand.

Mostly off trail and physically grueling is what I have been told. Next winter I'm thinking about heading out to BC or Colorado, gonna just rent a long track.

11 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

Where did you go?

We went back to Albany WY, about 2 hrs north of Denver in the Medicine Bow Mts. This was my 4th time there but more then likely our last for a while. We trailer our sleds out there and it's about the closest drive, 19 hrs, for us to get to some good mountain ridding but next year we decided to go back to West Yellowstone I think. I've never been to Togwotee in the winter, just once in the summer, but some of the guys I ride with have and love it there. They say at Togwotee you can be ridding step and deep within 3 miles of the lodge, at Albany we have to ride about 25 miles of groomed trails to get to the steepest/most fun ridding area which is kind of far. I've been to Cooke City MT once which is pretty extreme, almost to much for my taste, way to many avalanches there also. We've been to West Yellowstone a number of times now and between the park, the town and the riding outside of the park it's prolly my favorite place to ride.

11 hours ago, Jonger said:

Mostly off trail and physically grueling is what I have been told. Next winter I'm thinking about heading out to BC or Colorado, gonna just rent a long track.

Yes, you definitely want to get in shape before going.  Between the riding and the elevation you will be sore after a few days for sure.

I have only ever rented sled as well.  I have a 600cc 141" sled but that doesn't really cut it out west if you are going to be riding with 150"+ 800cc sleds, not to mention the cost and hassle of trailering, re-clutching, gas/oil, and potential break downs.

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

We went back to Albany WY, about 2 hrs north of Denver in the Medicine Bow Mts. This was my 4th time there but more then likely our last for a while. We trailer our sleds out there and it's about the closest drive, 19 hrs, for us to get to some good mountain ridding but next year we decided to go back to West Yellowstone I think. I've never been to Togwotee in the winter, just once in the summer, but some of the guys I ride with have and love it there. They say at Togwotee you can be ridding step and deep within 3 miles of the lodge, at Albany we have to ride about 25 miles of groomed trails to get to the steepest/most fun ridding area which is kind of far. I've been to Cooke City MT once which is pretty extreme, almost to much for my taste, way to many avalanches there also. We've been to West Yellowstone a number of times now and between the park, the town and the riding outside of the park it's prolly my favorite place to ride.

I have only ever been to Togwotee.  I knew the area had pretty high praise before we had gone, but had no idea how high the praise truly gets.  My relatives happened to hire a beet truck driver one year who was a testing engineer for Polaris sleds and had been all over the west as part of his work.  When asked his opinion on the best place to snowmobile, his answer hands down was Togwotee, there just isn't any other place that combines the terrain, snow and acreage to compare.

And yes, if you stay at Togwotee Mountain Lodge you can hit the deep stuff right away, as in crossing the road.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Jonger said:

Not bad for a 2013 sled. 4th season underway.

20170207_091425.jpg

Wouldn't that make this year the 5th winter? Unless it was bought new as a holdover I suppose.  Good either way.

I have 5000+ on my 2009, but that was a two year holdover I bought as new in the fall of 2010.  You have me beat for sled miles, but I know you have trailered far far more miles than me to get them.

5 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

Wouldn't that make this year the 5th winter? Unless it was bought new as a holdover I suppose.  Good either way.

I have 5000+ on my 2009, but that was a two year holdover I bought as new in the fall of 2010.  You have me beat for sled miles, but I know you have trailered far far more miles than me to get them.

Yup... I'm not scared to tow far. At least 1000 miles were in SW Michigan, which is not too far though.

On 1/29/2017 at 11:39 AM, slow poke said:

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

Archived