Weathernoob335
2017 - 2018 Winter Sports Thread

Jonger

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, UMB WX said:

when northern lower gets smoked, I normally get smoked.   Glory days have been behind us for yrs now.

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

Sure seems like it. 

I agree, its been a few years since we have had a decent synoptic storm not counting clippers of course. I generally dont say much because we get so much LES but it does get a little aggravating that when their is a synoptic system it usually is suppressed or cuts way west torching us and losing all the LES we have built up which gets tougher to rebuild the later in winter we go. If that is the case I would rather have all the systems pass well to our south preserving what we have.  This winter so far I would grade a C- and that's being generous since we have only had about 2-3 weeks of decent Northern Mi climo suitable for outdoor activities which was centered around X-Mas/ New Years which was good for the economy up here. But since then complete opposite. May be tough this year getting to our average snow fall (`150") especially if we dont get any synoptic events. We have about 1 month left to get some okay LES but gets tougher down this way as the lakes begin to build more ice. 

On 1/24/2018 at 4:47 PM, slow poke said:

Any idea when the last time northern lower had a good 10"+ system snow storm? Seems the snowbelt areas have done ok the past few years with lake effect but outside of those areas it's been tough sledding it seems.

2015-16 treated Alpena and the far NE part of the Mitt really well with LEh synoptic. I think one even pounded that area with a 20+ big dog. It was later in the season and that poster (Travis?) from up there posted some about it, and iirc, that he was tired of all the snow by that point. As for widespread synoptic from Ludington to Oscoda, prolly talking 2012 or 13 

29 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

2015-16 treated Alpena and the far NE part of the Mitt really well with LEh synoptic. I think one even pounded that area with a 20+ big dog. It was later in the season and that poster (Travis?) from up there posted some about it, and iirc, that he was tired of all the snow by that point. As for widespread synoptic from Ludington to Oscoda, prolly talking 2012 or 13 

Sounds like lake Huron might have helped them out, I was thinking pure system storm. The last one I can remember to hit our cabins area was back in March of 2012 just before the big heat wave. Great storm that melted a week latter prett much.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:24 PM, slow poke said:

Sounds like lake Huron might have helped them out, I was thinking pure system storm. The last one I can remember to hit our cabins area was back in March of 2012 just before the big heat wave. Great storm that melted a week latter prett much.

Yep, the March 5th big Woof-woof

Really wish this storm we're getting down state would have hit up north, would have been a good jump start to start rebuilding the snow pack for outdoor fun up there. The areas north of M28 in the UP have snow but pretty much everyone with a sled has been heading up there this month and the trails are getting pounded. Hopefully Feb and March are better snow wise in more areas. My new sled still has 20% breakin left, pretty sad......

12 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Really wish this storm we're getting down state would have hit up north, would have been a good jump start to start rebuilding the snow pack for outdoor fun up there. The areas north of M28 in the UP have snow but pretty much everyone with a sled has been heading up there this month and the trails are getting pounded. Hopefully Feb and March are better snow wise in more areas. My new sled still has 20% breakin left, pretty sad......

I did pick up a dusting today lol. I still have about 5 inches or so on the ground right now surprisingly, however its going to take a lot of LES to get it back to decent shape after the torches.

On 1/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, Jonger said:

The big Canadian loop is on tap.

If anyone wants to come, it's looking like green highlighted week is going to be it.

Let me know. Hell of a ride.

5a6d2b4739cac_RidingtheLoop.thumb.jpg.960ffa4c8162fed7d4fba1de630ae9f2.jpg

That’s great Jonger - sign me up in a few years when the kids are a bit older. 

Looks like there will be plenty of cold air over the next few weeks up there. Snow isn’t going anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 12:53 PM, Jonger said:

Heading up to Newberry or SSM Ontario on Friday.

I'm going to fire up the tractor beam and pull this one north guys. Will and Bo will be buried so deep by Jan 1st, it's going to be crazy.

How was your ride up there? Also, how you liking that 1200 four stroke so far? My wife and I both had 1200's a few years back, she had a 09 GSX and I had a 2010 Renegade X. They were great trail sleds. Not the best for the kind of riding we mostly do now but hard to beat for big trail miles. My wife has a Renegade 900 now. The 900 is definitely slower top end but 0-70 feels about the same as the 1200's were. The 900 feels lighter also. A few of us ran up last Thursday night and rode form our place at Higgins up the east side to Mackinaw for lunch at the Key Hole and rode back the west side, big loop for the lower, 290 miles total in one day. I rode my wife's sled thinking the conditions might not be the best so I left my new sled back at the cabin. I should have rode my new one cause we had mostly good trails.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a snowmobile back pack trip across the northern UP . In case anyone is looking for snow to play in there is plenty north of M28, 2-3 feet easy. Hard as a rock though for the most part. Getting in and out of towns for gas and food is getting tougher but I would bet the snow will be around up there for the rest of this month into early April. We'll head back up when the snow softens up or they get a good dumping of fresh.

• 5 weeks later...

Granite Peak in Wausau, WI still has 100% of their ski runs open, and with today’s snow, will certainly remain 100% open until their scheduled close on 4/15. I was in Aspen all last week and we were overjoyed at a fresh 2” last Wednesday. Aspen Buttermilk had a sub 2’ snow depth, Granite is sitting on something like 60” right now (obviously some of that is man made), just incredible.

. Pro

On 4/3/2018 at 7:23 PM, slow poke said:

Group of us heading up Friday north of Paradise for another weekend of ridding. Lots of snow up that way still and more to come it looks like. 

I'm tempted to bust up there tomorrow. Very tempted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Granite Peak in Wausau, WI just announced they are extending their season to May 6. Incredible.

For reference all four Aspen mountains are closed now and Whistler in British Columbia is closing this week. Granted - some of those closures are more centered around forest service permits and labor - but still - midwestern ski area in WI is rivaling the western titans with season length!

15 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Granite Peak in Wausau, WI just announced they are extending their season to May 6. Incredible.

For reference all four Aspen mountains are closed now and Whistler in British Columbia is closing this week. Granted - some of those closures are more centered around forest service permits and labor - but still - midwestern ski area in WI is rivaling the western titans with season length!

That's insane. Mt Holly in southeast MI closed March 26th and said it was an excellent season and there was still a big snowbase. I couldn't figure out why they wouldnt keep it open if there is a base. Obviously wausau is doing just that.

That's insane. Mt Holly in southeast MI closed March 26th and said it was an excellent season and there was still a big snowbase. I couldn't figure out why they wouldnt keep it open if there is a base. Obviously wausau is doing just that.

I do empathize that these guys are so at the weather’s mercy that it’s really tough - they had to line up labor by late fall last year and hope they could get the season into March, and by mid/late winter that wasn’t looking so likely, then bam! So no diss at the guys that closed on schedule, but mad props to those who can figure out how to keep the lifts turning.

And all that to say... granite peak just announced they are extending closing to May 6. Absolute madness for central Wisconsin! No way in the word I’m going to miss taking part in that, pretty decent chance if history is any indicator that this ain’t gonna happen again in my lifetime!

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I've decided to stay in the Keweenaw. My wife and I are purchasing a house (outright so there's no mortgage) in the Calumet area (gotta stay above 1200' elevation) - closing is on thrusday. I love this area and it feels very nice to finally settle down in one place.

Now I need to get a snowmobile. Going to start getting serious about this.

Also nice to bump this thread in June.

Awesome - great to hear.  Enjoy the snowmobile search.  I'm sure Jonger and others can give you some pointers on what to look for. I will be looking for one soon, but no reason to at this point since I'm still in IL. Looking to purchase a place in the north woods of WI or nearby...and then a snowmobile will be my first purchase up there. :)

On 6/26/2018 at 11:31 AM, (((Will))) said:

I've decided to stay in the Keweenaw. My wife and I are purchasing a house (outright so there's no mortgage) in the Calumet area (gotta stay above 1200' elevation) - closing is on thursday. I love this area and it feels very nice to finally settle down in one place.

Now I need to get a snowmobile. Going to start getting serious about this.

Also nice to bump this thread in June.

Congratulations on the house purchase, I would of loved to buy a house without a mortgage but wouldn't be able to buy my current house without it. If your looking at used sleds now is a great time to buy especially when its a 100 outside.  People sometimes let them go for lot less then they will in September onward. 

I'm looking forward to my upcoming camping trip except the heat. 

I can definitely help you out.... 

If you want to talk via email, text or PM -- I can help.

The biggest thing will be to know your budget. I can check all the proper channels for used or new sleds in your area. There will probably be a lot considering you're in sled country. I bought a new sled at Houghton Power Sports, that's a good place... I think they have a variety of new and used.

Archived