Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 - 2018 Winter Sports Thread

Jonger

10 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Not even close to as fun. In fact, I find them boring. Would rather ride a motorcycle.

As they say different strokes, but I would disagree, I drove a couple 260HP razors on some trails and at the sand dunes and it was a blast. Yes I would rather snowmobile, but getting 9 months a year more to ride plus not be as weather dependent is a huge plus hence why I am going to be buying one hopefully sooner than later. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

As they say different strokes, but I would disagree, I drove a couple 260HP razors on some trails and at the sand dunes and it was a blast. Yes I would rather snowmobile, but getting 9 months a year more to ride plus not be as weather dependent is a huge plus hence why I am going to be buying one hopefully sooner than later. 

Easy solution. Own both.

I have as many as 6 guys planning on riding the following weekend. Of course there is a wildcard storm that could screw everything up. It's ok as of today, but another 100 miles north and it will be raining in the UP.

This isn't a hobby for long term planning... you have to hit it when you can.

Rode quite a bit over the holiday breaks, had some awesome snow around my house, didn't even touch the trails to much at all. The next couple weeks look like a pretty tough roller coaster for some warmer cutters but even with this sustained cold pattern has its downfalls as well as the ice buildup already is pretty high on the big lakes already. 

We have 6 guys heading up to the UP next weekend to ride. Snow is already limited to the best lake belt spots as it is.

I really hope the weekend isn't f-cked up by this warmup. Although it does look like a snowstorm is more and more likely, another 50 to 75 miles north and we are screwed though.

Too bad the Ontario loop is still not opened, that area is immune to warmth. I doubt Searchmont exceeded 35F at best until the weekend of the 19th.

Next couple weeks not looking the greatest for action around these parts, maybe Central and Western UP will/should be fine. The western cutters are going to put a hurt on the Norther lower snow pack and activities.  One good aspect is that it should slow down the ice formation which was taking off the past couple weeks. The LES season is probably over for Erie already which has to be almost a record for icing over as quickly has it has.  Im hoping got head up to Munising or GM in the next couple weeks myself. 

50+ dewpoints, wind, rain, temps in mid 50s say adios snowpack, went from 16"+ down to about 4-6". On the plus side, my rood on my house, poke barn, and camper are now just about snow free.  Hopefully we get into a better pattern here the next few weeks to salvage the rest of the winter and riding season since we are starting over in Norther Lower.  UP looks to be mostly spared. 

21 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

50+ dewpoints, wind, rain, temps in mid 50s say adios snowpack, went from 16"+ down to about 4-6". On the plus side, my rood on my house, poke barn, and camper are now just about snow free.  Hopefully we get into a better pattern here the next few weeks to salvage the rest of the winter and riding season since we are starting over in Norther Lower.  UP looks to be mostly spared. 

Wow I didn't realize it went that far north. We went From 8" to 0 here in 2 days. Just dirty piles left though should be white again tomorrow. 

On 1/11/2018 at 7:45 PM, josh_4184 said:

Your loss was my gain.  While you were getting warmth and rain I got 6"+ of snow that the models never truly had a grasp on until 24 hours prior. 

A pic from over the weekend, it seemed deeper than it looks in the picture.

IMG_20180114_131648441.jpg

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

I booked the America's Best hotel in Newberry every weekend through mid March. I just cancel what I dont use 2 days before hand.

If not.... everything will be booked.

I have probably only put on about 250 miles this year, ****ty weather/conditions combined with family/work obligations has made it tough. Just dont see the rest of the season setting up for decent sustained weather. Looks like UP may get torched w/rain next week weeks as well hopefully that doesn't happen but could kill a lot of hopes. As I said previously just not feeling this winter as much as previously actually looking forward to warmer weather. 

I know this doesn't help you in Gaylord, but I'm perfectly happy keeping the snow to my north and having dry conditions here.

The problem now is that I'm 320 miles from decent snow. I'm elated that next weekends turd dump has vaporized. Looks like the UP will be in decent shape going forward with the upcoming pattern.

6 hours ago, Jonger said:

I know this doesn't help you in Gaylord, but I'm perfectly happy keeping the snow to my north and having dry conditions here.

The problem now is that I'm 320 miles from decent snow. I'm elated that next weekends turd dump has vaporized. Looks like the UP will be in decent shape going forward with the upcoming pattern.

The system did fall apart, although it was long range so not surprised which is good news for all north of the bridge. As you said all the trolls are pretty much done, there still is time but the rest of the season not looking to good for decent riding down here.

Archived