Weathernoob335
2017 - 2018 Winter Sports Thread

Jonger

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, slow poke said:

My son and I are heading up tomorrow evening and ridding Friday from our place to the bridge for lunch and back. Coming home Friday night. You're welcome to come with us Jonger.

I need to have my primary and secondary clutch rebuilt before I can ride. I might actually drag the sled up to Traverse City and drop it off for a few days. I'll take you up on the offer soon though. The clutch has 8,000 miles on it without any maintenance, it's a ticking timebomb.

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

The rain is going to happen, that's for certain. It just doesn't look that long lasting. The system tilts and pulls cold air in quite quickly as it moves by.

Rain can do a lot of damage especially .5 to 1.0 but cold air does come back pretty quickly and the following system is not cutting which will help.

I've seen where a little rain, 1/4" or so, followed by cold air can help the trails actually. Helps build a good hard icy base. We'll see in a few days but I'm betting the UP north of 28 will be fine after the storm. The rest of the UP and northern lower, north of Grayling and west of 75 will have some ridding areas left too I bet.

I've seen where a little rain, 1/4" or so, followed by cold air can help the trails actually. Helps build a good hard icy base. We'll see in a few days but I'm betting the UP north of 28 will be fine after the storm. The rest of the UP and northern lower, north of Grayling and west of 75 will have some ridding areas left too I bet.

IMG_1575.JPG

This was from Friday in north west lower Michigan, lakes of the north area, about a foot of snow on the ground at that time. The rain moved through up there already this morning and it doesn't  seem like they lost to much. There's going to be snow to play/ride/ski/sled in this week but the groomed snowmobile trails will have some rough spots for sure. Could be better but definitely could be worse.

This Jan 2nd storm just won't settle on a track. Not liking the trend all that much.

The entire state of Michigan  is going to be out of commission for at least another 7 to 10 days if this keeps tracking the way it does. We get a below normal December temp regime and it gets erased by the Dec 26th turd. 

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

This Jan 2nd storm just won't settle on a track. Not liking the trend all that much.

The entire state of Michigan  is going to be out of commission for at least another 7 to 10 days if this keeps tracking the way it does. We get a below normal December temp regime and it gets erased by the Dec 26th turd. 

The trend is not our friend thats for sure, its such a shame that 1 or maybe 2 systems tracking a few hundred miles to the west can wipe out our pack and a good portion of our season. 

5 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

The trend is not our friend thats for sure, its such a shame that 1 or maybe 2 systems tracking a few hundred miles to the west can wipe out our pack and a good portion of our season. 

I'm a big fan of a suppressed pattern with clippers. A SE ridge of any kind will yield way to a zonal flow, which also lets storms shoot up to our west. Deep trough with clippers is what we want.

5 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'm a big fan of a suppressed pattern with clippers. A SE ridge of any kind will yield way to a zonal flow, which also lets storms shoot up to our west. Deep trough with clippers is what we want.

Pattern certainly looks pretty amped up, good chance for a biggie but also a good chance for a cutter, current system looks to pass well to my south east which would normally put northern mi in snow but there is so much warm air pulled from the south it pushes way NW of the low track. 

10 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Pattern certainly looks pretty amped up, good chance for a biggie but also a good chance for a cutter, current system looks to pass well to my south east which would normally put northern mi in snow but there is so much warm air pulled from the south it pushes way NW of the low track. 

You need an amped pattern for a biggie, but 1 out of 3 cut to the west and wipe out the snowpack. Weather weenies who don't actually use the snow for anything prefer the amped pattern, but they also don't care if we are starring at grass and mud half the winter. I don't care how the snow gets on the ground, as long as it's there. Currently, it's not there. 

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

You need an amped pattern for a biggie, but 1 out of 3 cut to the west and wipe out the snowpack. Weather weenies who don't actually use the snow for anything prefer the amped pattern, but they also don't care if we are starring at grass and mud half the winter. I don't care how the snow gets on the ground, as long as it's there. Currently, it's not there. 

Ill probably have over 20+" otg after this weekend, hopefully the early week storm doesn't due to much damage as end of next week is looking really good for LES. 

On 12/30/2016 at 5:37 PM, josh_4184 said:

Picked up about 14" overnight, maybe another 6-8 tonight thru sat , then rain :rolleyes:

At least you most likely wont have to start from scratch each time it rains with that kind of base. When I lived up there, I found that it usually only took a good 4-5" to make riding decent again, unless youre talking the heavily traveled trails, which I tended to avoid, preferring the less-traveled local connectors and "back roads" of my local trail system. 

Archived