Weathernoob335
2017 - 2018 Winter Sports Thread

Jonger

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Jonger said:

The trails statewide are pretty wrecked.

Off trail in the central Keweenaw, the Hurons and south of Grand Marais are probably still fun though.

Friday seems to kick off a pretty good period of the UP and eventually the whole state.

16-20" in the woods here.  You could ride but I don't know why anyone would want to. 

1/2" of RAIN coming

19 hours ago, weatherbo said:

16-20" in the woods here.  You could ride but I don't know why anyone would want to. 

1/2" of RAIN coming

This might be one of the earliest trail closings in years. Johndee tracks these dates and I do recall a mid February season ending once before.

11 hours ago, Jonger said:

This might be one of the earliest trail closings in years. Johndee tracks these dates and I do recall a mid February season ending once before.

1999-2000 winter.

There was about 2 flakes of snow left in Minnesota by March.

I don't know if other states have anything quite like MN DNR does for tracking actual snow depth measurements weekly.  I have found these maps to be more accurate than anything satellite based by quite a bit.  I find myself looking though past years to find similarities between years and weather patterns.

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/snowmap_old.htm

I'm trying to tractor beam Fridays storm to northern lower. Another nudge south on the 00z GFS. If anyone scores 12 inches, I'll roll... it not, the following weekend should be good somewhere.

March 11th through 16th... the 1000 mile loop. That's the next ride plan. The warmup hasn't melted much there. Looks good though out the entire long range.

7 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'm trying to tractor beam Fridays storm to northern lower. Another nudge south on the 00z GFS. If anyone scores 12 inches, I'll roll... it not, the following weekend should be good somewhere.

March 11th through 16th... the 1000 mile loop. That's the next ride plan. The warmup hasn't melted much there. Looks good though out the entire long range.

This is a Western/Middle UP type storm, going to lightly snow here, then transition to rain/fz rain, then back to some light LES.  Pretty typical for every storm this year, heading right over head or west.  Only have a few inches left on the ground.

Looks like we are entering another NW flow clipper train, which I would normally welcome but since all the damage to the snow, these systems wont help much.

19 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Long range looks like more of the same garbage we have dealt with all winter, cutters w/ rain and a little back end snow. Think the season may be in serious jeopardy. Buying a SxS this summer, to hell with the sledding.

Side By Sides are cool... but no where near as fun as a sled. That's the bummer with summer off road. The trail system is nowhere near as good also.

Where I live you can have a lot of fun on ATV's/SxS, lots of places to explore, I am not much of a trail person anyway like to make my own trails when possible. But paying 15-20k for a vehicle you can use everyday versus a sled 2-3 months a year makes it a much easier pill to swallow when making monthly payments.

I still love sledding but dont love the fact you must do it on mother natures terms.

Nice.

Friday after work I'm driving to Elliot Lake Ontario.... Riding from there to Chapeua to Cochrane to Hearst to Halfway Haven to Elliot Lake.

Big model discrepancy right now.

GFS showing possible rain/snow on Tuesday.... the other models don't feature this.

28 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Nice.

Friday after work I'm driving to Elliot Lake Ontario.... Riding from there to Chapeua to Cochrane to Hearst to Halfway Haven to Elliot Lake.

Big model discrepancy right now.

GFS showing possible rain/snow on Tuesday.... the other models don't feature this.

Have a good/safe trip, pack and plan for the unexpected, pretty desolate up there. There's a lot of winter left that far north so I bet you guys will have the snow and temps you want. 

• 8 months later...

Archived