Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Weather Risk 11/28/2016

Jim Martin

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

Thanks guys! Apparently, it basically followed W Georgia road , from Woodmont High, and even into the clock tower area of downtown Sville!

skipping along. My opinion is, it was Definitely a tornado! Based on sounds and scariness of my experience 

Radar data supports a tornado for sure.....

7 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

As per usual, the strong part of the line is falling apart N of ATL and the storms will hit about Aiken to Greenwood, to CAE! I guess we will still get some rain, but would be nice to get a t storm !

Glad you're ok.  Looks like you and I both got more than we bargained for.  I was downplaying this event just like you and we both had possible tornados come right over us.   I guess be careful what you wish for eh?

2 minutes ago, jshetley said:

Yep that was a nasty couplet from Anderson county up into Spartanburg county. It thankfully weakened coming into my area. I'm sure GSP will confirm a tornado at least in Greenville county with that cell.

Did some internet research and looked at damage ratings, and just based out of my neighborhood, I'd say F1-maybe low low F2, just my very amateur opinion 

8 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Go to GSP nws Facebook page and look under the post that has Pelzer in it , from them, and I put 3 or 4 pics up there! Check em out! All real and from the neighborhood! The chair in the house, is amazing

Wow that chair pic is amazing. Looks like something you'd see in the midwest or from a hurricane.

1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

Glad you're ok.  Looks like you and I both got more than we bargained for.  I was downplaying this event just like you and we both had possible tornados come right over us.   I guess be careful what you wish for eh?

I agree! I should be very careful about downplaying a severe weather threat, won't do that again!! Can't make any promises on snow events!:)

Also props to nrgjeff for the good call on the Atlanta tornado.  You called it about ten minutes before the TW got hoisted. 

Also big props to the severe weather crew members from other regions. You guys always provide very good information and warnings to us and any other region that has a severe weather day. I'm sure I speak for the whole SE crew when I say thank you and please drop by again!

7 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I agree! I should be very careful about downplaying a severe weather threat, won't do that again!! Can't make any promises on snow events!:)

If we had gotten sunlight and more instability, this would have been a really major event covering a larger area. Something more like 4-4-89 or 5-5-89. That 5-5-89 event was awful from around Boiling Springs and Chesnee in SC through the western piedmont of NC. GSP has a very nice write up about that event on its webpage.

26 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Go to GSP nws Facebook page and look under the post that has Pelzer in it , from them, and I put 3 or 4 pics up there! Check em out! All real and from the neighborhood! The chair in the house, is amazing

I saw your photos.  That's some pretty hefty damage sir.  You are very lucky. 

https://www.facebook.com/NWSGSP/posts/1385252418214725

23 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Was a confirmed tornado touchdown in Simpsonville, per NWS, they said it was only 100 yds wide, and are still working to determine strength

Damn. Glad you are ok.

I was on Weather Channel app and saw a video that said "View inside screaming tornado" and it showed that it was from Simpsonville. 

8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Was a confirmed tornado touchdown in Simpsonville, per NWS, they said it was only 100 yds wide, and are still working to determine strength

Wow, not very often that a board member is right in the path of a tornado.  Glad you are ok.  Did you experience any ear popping or other notable phenomena?

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Wow, not very often that a board member is right in the path of a tornado.  Glad you are ok.  Did you experience any ear popping or other notable phenomena?

No ear popping, I think the "center" of the tornado, missed my house by 75 yds or so! But the rumble, then the power outage as the rumble got closer, then all you hear is snapping trees and stuff hitting the house and your just looking up and hoping the roof stays on and a tree doesn't come through! Very terrifying, but over in about 15 seconds!

14 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

No ear popping, I think the "center" of the tornado, missed my house by 75 yds or so! But the rumble, then the power outage as the rumble got closer, then all you hear is snapping trees and stuff hitting the house and your just looking up and hoping the roof stays on and a tree doesn't come through! Very terrifying, but over in about 15 seconds!

Scary. I'm glad your family is ok. Eons ago, like 1997, I remember being in the path of a f1 tornado during a party at the house. The tornado skipped over us with damage to our immediate sw and ne. The sound was insane. 

5 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

That had to be a helluva exp Mack. Damn, glad you all were ok and minimal damage man

Archived