Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

RC wrote the long term afternoon disco at LOT.  He mentioned 20 below or colder possible in some spots Sunday night.

Yeah, my point is -18 for Sunday night. A few more inches of snow from this upcoming system, and an ideal radiant cooling situation, we could see some deep negative numbers 

12 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Yeah, my point is -18 for Sunday night. A few more inches of snow from this upcoming system, and an ideal radiant cooling situation, we could see some deep negative numbers 

Can get into this more if it still looks as impressive as it gets closer, but here are a few tidbits for Chicago.

The last reading of -10 or colder in December was back in 1989, while the last reading of -15 or colder in December was in 1983.  The earliest reading of -15 or colder occurred on December 22.

24 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

:wub:

Down to 9 at ORD and 6 at RFD. Wind chills around -10.

I went back and checked ARR for 1/16/09, and they got down to -33F that morning. And they did it with a light wind basically the whole time (may have gone calm intrahour).  There's really no telling what kind of insane readings might happen if the setup pans out.

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I went back and checked ARR for 1/16/09, and they got down to -33F that morning. And they did it with a light wind basically the whole time (may have gone calm intrahour).  There's really no telling what kind of insane readings might happen if the setup pans out.

I forgot that Aurora got that cold back then. In that case, I think the airmass was colder, say -25c at H85 compared to -20c coming up. But you're right - if winds die down for a long enough time, all bets are off. 

I was absolutely shocked at the arctic front snow. Whiteouts, blowing snow, the whole bit as a west-east lake band slowly sagged south with the front. A solid 2.5 inches of fresh powder fell both imby & at DTW, which not only brought the snow depth back up to 8-9" but gave the deep glacier that fresh appearance. Beautiful winter wonderland outside.

The warm Fall (which technially still has 1 week remaining, astronomically) is a distant memory now as tundra like winds gust over a deep white landscape. With what seems like the snap of a finger, we are already at 14.6" on the season imby and 14.3" at DTW, nearly 3 times normal to date.

This pic was taken near the beginning of the squall.

4681-800.jpg

Those squalls made for a slow ride home up 75, but I'll never turn down a surprise event. I also caught a view out the window when the snow really started blowing around. Winter is here. Hoping we can avoid most of the rain this weekend and keep the good times rolling into the new year.

1 hour ago, n1vek said:

Those squalls made for a slow ride home up 75, but I'll never turn down a surprise event. I also caught a view out the window when the snow really started blowing around. Winter is here. Hoping we can avoid most of the rain this weekend and keep the good times rolling into the new year.

Looks like wyandotte was one of harder hit in those squalls with 2.5".dtw actually had 1.5" and most places seemed to have 1-2" with isolated higher amounts.

Tomorrow is looking ok. Not as much snow as earlier runs had shown but also not going briefly into the 40s as some earlier runs showed. Another 4-5" on top of a solid 8-9" snowpack a week before Christmas? I'll take!

40 minutes ago, blackrock said:

I sure hope some of the model runs change for later next week. Right now, the GFS would have us getting rain over Christmas with a cutter. Blah. Pattern not looking so great on recent GFS runs.

Yes that would certainly not be ideal, quite a ways off and a very dynamic pattern wouldn't out to much stock in long range yet.

9 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Yes that would certainly not be ideal, quite a ways off and a very dynamic pattern wouldn't out to much stock in long range yet.

Agreed. Over a week away. It is a little disappoimting to see the latest GFS and GGEM runs showing a warm up and cutter in the late week time frame though. But, things certainly could change.

High of 9 today in Madison.  Coldest high temp since it was 3 on January 18th of this year.

Low of -5, which is the coldest temp since it was -6 on January 19th.  Really highlights the lack of extreme cold in the back half and basically the entire winter last year

Archived