• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

Once again wall-to-wall overcast skies and temps topping out at 39. The NWS has pretty much stuck its fork into tomorrow resulting in a crappy first weekend of this December while TWC alongside my local stations' meteorologists are still rooting for some sun. Talk about a forecast war! I really had a feeling these clouds were just screaming to become part of Sunday's storm system, anyway. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/2/2016 at 8:43 PM, Spartman said:

Once again wall-to-wall overcast skies and temps topping out at 39. The NWS has pretty much stuck its fork into tomorrow resulting in a crappy first weekend of this December while TWC alongside my local stations' meteorologists are still rooting for some sun. Talk about a forecast war! I really had a feeling these clouds were just screaming to become part of Sunday's storm system, anyway. 

As expected, the NWS wins! Not just the third day in a row of wall-to-wall overcast skies, but also the third day of temps topping out at 39. With the way tomorrow is, the crappy first weekend of December is guaranteed. I have my doubts about Monday being better.

The official snow fall amount from yesterday’s snow came in at 5.6” at GRR. Here IMBY I had a measurement on 3.5” The ground is still white here but the temperature is now up to 35° at the airport and 37° here at my house. On a side note this is the biggest one day snow fall since 7.2” fell on December 10th 2009. That just shows you how little December snows we have had in the last several years

43 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Amazing melting/compacting of the snow here since yesterday afternoon.  Already down to about 3-4".  All this with temps that have hovered around freezing since the event.  The ground must really be radiating heat for it to melt/compact that much.  

Wow!  We are down to 1-2 inches.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Have lost a significant amount of snow here.  Plenty of grassy areas visible, especially near trees.

Yeah down to about an inch here, with many areas beneath trees, etc without any snow.  Never seen that much snow disappear so quick in such a marginal temp scheme.  Temp never got above 36 in the few days since the event.  Just bizarre.  

EDIT:  Satellite from today shows how much that large snow field has diminished since Sunday.

2z3nww6.jpg

5 hours ago, LoveSN+ said:

If anything even near the magnitude the 00Z Euro was showing for cold verifies next week, many records will be broken. Glad to see winter get off to such an active start this year. Hopefully it continues all the way through!

The mid December records are generally not as impressive as late December and January, so I agree on the record/near record potential, especially with snowcover.

I am getting lake effect snow!!!
Not that it will add up to anything for me, but since its such a rare occurrence I thought I would mention it here.  
Its falling pretty good right now and a little bit strange to experience since its due to an inland lake.  
I've experienced LES off of Superior, but knowing its from an inland lake seems weird for some reason.

My ninth winter here and I can only recall Mid Nov 2008 and early Dec 2009 when accumulating lake effect snow happened before.       
Normally Lake of the Woods should be long iced over by now, I should thank the ridiculously warm November I guess.    

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Grand Forks ND
652 AM CST Thu Dec 8 2016

MNZ006-082200-
Lake Of The Woods-
Including the city of...Baudette
652 AM CST Thu Dec 8 2016

...SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE AROUND BAUDETTE...

Lake effect snow showers will continue across a portion of
eastern Lake of the Woods county, which includes Baudette. An
additional 1 to 4 inches of snow are possible by late this
evening. These snow showers are expected to dissipate by Friday
morning.

Archived