Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

CFS has really gotten warm for December.  The one consistent theme is cold west.

Teleconnections not looking too promising either for a cold eastern U.S. pattern, to be honest. Would not be surprised to see the CFS verify to some degree, although I do not expect December to necessarily blowtorch. 

2 hours ago, WxMatt21 said:

Teleconnections not looking too promising either for a cold eastern U.S. pattern, to be honest. Would not be surprised to see the CFS verify to some degree, although I do not expect December to necessarily blowtorch. 

We should be fine as long as we set the bar at colder than last year. :)

24 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Teleconnections matter, until they don't.

Unless the GFS buckles, the cold is coming. We are well within fantasy land for the cold.

It's going to get cold but I'm not sold on how deep or long lasting... yet.  It appears like we are going to have mostly -PNA and little AO/NAO blocking for the next couple weeks.  To me it looks like a pattern that is going to be susceptible to warm spikes mixed in with better chances for sustained cold with north/northwest extent of course. The mean storm track should be in or near our region for a while though which is good.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

EPS > CFS IMO

I usually like the Euro products too but they can be off like anything else.  We would've already been in winter for the past 1-2 weeks if the weeklies had their way.  Fact is that the CFS nailed the very warm November and even if December ends up warmer than avg, there should be plenty of snow chances.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I usually like the Euro products too but they can be off like anything else.  We would've already been in winter for the past 1-2 weeks if the weeklies had their way.  Fact is that the CFS nailed the very warm November and even if December ends up warmer than avg, there should be plenty of snow chances.

True, I only trust Euro weeklies to week 2-3, anything pass that I don't trust. The CFS changes even more frequently, as evident by your post. I think December will have plenty of snow chances with lots of ups and downs. Would say above normal snowfall and average temps. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

True, I only trust Euro weeklies to week 2-3, anything pass that I don't trust. The CFS changes even more frequently, as evident by your post. I think December will have plenty of snow chances with lots of ups and downs. Would say above normal snowfall and average temps. 

After watching it for quite a while, I've come up with my way of interpreting the CFS. Follow the trends for the last several days of the month but put the most emphasis on the final run or two, and in general, pay less attention to precip output (especially during convective season).  Looks like about 7 of the past 9 runs have the Lakes warmer than average to some degree, which is hard to ignore imo.  

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

After watching it for quite a while, I've come up with my way of interpreting the CFS. Follow the trends for the last several days of the month but put the most emphasis on the final run or two, and in general, pay less attention to precip output (especially during convective season).  Looks like about 7 of the past 9 runs have the Lakes warmer than average to some degree, which is hard to ignore imo.  

Although that leap from the 29th to the 30th for the Midwest is pretty significant. Not sure what to think about that. I guess it is the CFS after all. 

I agree the trend is there, though, just think it's far too bullish. 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah will have to see. Definitely an up and down pattern with no consistency. I love those types of patterns. 

Wall-to-wall overcast skies with highs in the 30's all day to start December. Same thing expected tomorrow, despite the meteorologists on all my TV stations having a bit of a sun bias in their forecast graphics for tomorrow. Sure that December is the cloudiest month of the year, but please let's not hope that this December rivals against December 2014 for many areas.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Hoosier said:

Southern wave not going to play ball this weekend but fairly decent agreement on lighter precip potential with northern stream disturbance.  Could bring minor measurable snow to areas that haven't had one yet.

Looking a little more at this setup, nearly all of the column is below freezing except right at/near the surface.  Marginal airmass to begin with along with developing southerly flow doesn't give much confidence in surface temps cooperating a great deal, so this is probably going to be more of a grassy surface/elevated object situation. 

At this time, it looks like our mild temperatures we have experienced will soon be coming to an end. That is not real surprising as where I live in Grand Rapids is almost half way between the north pole and the equator.  That is one of the reason we have such variable day to day weather. Not sure how lone upcoming cold will last but one this is almost certain depending on the wind direction there should be some good lake effect. While not as warm as this fall has been (thus the lakes many not have been as warm) I did find several years that were mild in November and then became colder in December. Here is a list of some of the years. The list includes the year, the number of days in a row of at least a t of snow fall and the total snow fall (at Grand Rapids) in the number of days. The days were all below 32° for highs and lows.

1.       1958 12 days 17.5”    

2.       1960 9 days   12.7”     

3.       1963 19 days 17.5”     

4.       1975 4 days   8.8”       

Not sure how much (if any) we will get out of this upcoming first cold after a mild November but past history says we should have several inches (or more) after the cold settles in.

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The system sneaking up from the southwest Saturday night/Sunday continues to trend wetter on the models.  We have a chance to get an inch or two of snow if we can remain snow.  The atmosphere will be right on the line.

Agreed, this one could surprise a bit. I'm headed to the Bears game on Sunday to watch two terrible teams play, so I'm obviously hoping for snow. Cold rain and bad football is a crap combo. Regardless, whatever sticks won't be around long.

3 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Agreed, this one could surprise a bit. I'm headed to the Bears game on Sunday to watch two terrible teams play, so I'm obviously hoping for snow. Cold rain and bad football is a crap combo. Regardless, whatever sticks won't be around long.

LOT going 1-2"

Archived