Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016-2017 Lake Effect Snow Thread

BuffaloWeather

5 hours ago, Willh said:

That's why you find a place with an average high temperature in the majority of the winter that is in the low 20s or colder.

I wish. My wife refuses to go any farther north. She hates cold weather. So I make do with an average of 100 inches seasonal snowfall and high of 30ish for the winter. Seems like a lot to some people. But that average means some winters with 70 inches and lots of thaws. Hard for a snow freak like myself. I would move to the UP in a heartbeat. Isolation and snow!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, blackrock said:

I wish. My wife refuses to go any farther north. She hates cold weather. So I make do with an average of 100 inches seasonal snowfall and high of 30ish for the winter. Seems like a lot to some people. But that average means some winters with 70 inches and lots of thaws. Hard for a snow freak like myself. I would move to the UP in a heartbeat. Isolation and snow!

I like where I live, plus it isnt feasible to move north. I already have longer/harsher winters than a big majority of the population, and I guarentee way more people in this region wish they lived in a less snowy climate than a snowier one. You have longer winters than a HUGE majority. The fact that we know insane snow belts are so close makes it nice to live in a climate where you get plenty of winter and if you are bored or need more or its a down period or down year, hop in the car and head north to the belts.

49 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Snowfall well over an inch an hour right now, easily see areas around me picking up another 10-12" today

Man radar looks good down that way!  The Gaylord belt in N lower is going to have some very impressive totals by the end of winter.

More squally here with a bit of blue sky at times...Persistent lighter snow will probably add up another 6-7" here through Friday. Snow depth is 23".  Before long, the roof is going to need a shovel, usually 3 a winter.

Feeling like deep Winter

10417.JPG

3 hours ago, Willh said:

The difference between here and there is shocking. I can't believe its that sunny that close by. It's been cloudy up here since pretty much early Nov.

Yeah same here in re: to cloudy days,  but as I've stated, a w and  wnw flow here is a down slope wind. Nnw all the way to a se wind is upslope.

How does the keweenaw compare to Maine for you as far as snow?

7 hours ago, Willh said:

The difference between here and there is shocking. I can't believe its that sunny that close by. It's been cloudy up here since pretty much early Nov.

Bo is in a UP sweet spot too, <Vader's voice> Don't underestimate his snow powers!

59 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Hey, welcome to the board!  I use to live down near Warsaw and would get so jealous of the weather in South Bend, as the LE rarely gave me more than a dusting.  How much snow has fallen in South Bend this Winter?

Well hi, thanks!

Yeah, bet the lake effect came up just short of you down in Warsaw.  Certainly doesn't seem to miss us much up here, though.  I commute to SB from Valparaiso, so it gets interesting sometimes.  

I'm sure we get nothing compared to what you're seeing in the UP, though!  Used to go up to Minocqua, WI quite a bit... assuming you're getting a lot more than even they do!

We've had probably two good feet so far this winter.  December was a hoot, and then everything just kind of crapped out.  

Great pics josh! Finally got a good LES outside of ski country south of here. 2 feet around my area in 8 hours today. It all hit around rush hour traffic, thruway was closed, and people are still stuck all over the place.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice, I am expecting some good snow for the Michigan belts as well, probably not 24-30" but areas will probably see over a foot+.  Have about 8" on the ground left over before the torch, lost over 28" snow pack. On the plus side my pole barn roof cleared.

The belts south of here are approaching 200" already on the year, pretty incredible season down there for them.

19 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The belts south of here are approaching 200" already on the year, pretty incredible season down there for them.

Wow, that's pretty impressive, have a couple UP belts around that as well or over. Do those areas south of you have any snow on the ground left over form the torch? I am around 130" on the year for my back yard.

2 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Wow, that's pretty impressive, have a couple UP belts around that as well or over. Do those areas south of you have any snow on the ground left over form the torch? I am around 130" on the year for my back yard.

It all melted the last 2 weeks. Still quite a bit on the Tug.

http://ftp.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/images/full/Southern_Great_Lakes/nsm_depth/201701/nsm_depth_2017012605_Southern_Great_Lakes.jpg

10-41" base at the ski resort I go to though. Should be some awesome conditions there next week.

http://www.holidayvalley.com/webcam/Mardis%20Gras.jpg

http://www.weather.gov/images/erh/gis/NE_Snow.png

12 minutes ago, Willh said:

Can anyone show me a map of the snowbelts? I still cannot figure out who is in what snowbelt. Whether it's a NW flow, a NNw flow...or WNW, etc.

Anyone?

What's the Keweenaw in?

Keeweenaw is a peninsula so I believe you guys get hit on pretty much every flow? The best would most likely be W/NW flow. BOs best setup is a departing storm system that has wrap around moisture with aided Superior influence under a NE flow, but also does well on a NW flow due to orographic influences. Josh in Gaylord does best with NW flow as well as we see this year with the persistent W/NW flow with getting moisture from Superior and Michigan. For my location WSW is the best flow, for the city of Buffalo SW is the best. For the snow belts south of here NW/W flow with orographic lift helps boost annual totals to 220"+ per year. The Tug Hills best flow is by far W, they sometimes get a 3 lake connection that can result in absolutely insane rates. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Image result for lake effect snow belts

Nice explanation, Buffalo. And, as far as the keewanaw goes, Will, the only flows that don't serve you well is nw (short fetch and isle royal in the way ), n, and ne. But those flows still aid in moisture to a degree and oragraphic lift as well for your locale in any flow. Here, josh is correct in his explanation. I get nice lake effect from nw, nnw, n, ne, and east, but west and wnw are downsloping flows for me which drastically cut my totals. Your money makers are w, wsw, and wnw. Hope that helps answer your question a little more.

I really want to see a full fledged band down lake Michigan that last for several days. I'm a ocean/lake effect connoisseur, it's my favorite type of weather. Did you guys see the pictures out of Turkey/Italy from their Mediterrean Sea event? Over 100" in 24 hours, I believe it's the global record.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/03/11/orig-italy-record-snow-fall-mclaughlin.cnn

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I really want to see a full fledged band down lake Michigan that last for several days. I'm a ocean/lake effect connoisseur, it's my favorite type of weather. Did you guys see the pictures out of Turkey/Italy from their Mediterrean Sea event? Over 100" in 24 hours, I believe it's the global record.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/03/11/orig-italy-record-snow-fall-mclaughlin.cnn

The bad thing about a north flow is they don't tend to last all that long before winds begin to back around. I've been in some bands around Gary and Laporte before that were spectacular!

1 minute ago, weatherbo said:

The bad thing about a north flow is they don't tend to last all that long before winds begin to back around. I've been in some bands around Gary and Laporte before that were spectacular!

That full fetch for days would bring some absolutely insane totals, would be awesome if one day we could get a persistent north wind. What is the all time best LES event for the south shore of Michigan?

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That full fetch for days would bring some absolutely insane totals, would be awesome if one day we could get a persistent north wind. What is the all time best LES event for the south shore of Michigan?

I'm terrible at dates, but '04 or '05 I remember Chesterton, In getting 9" in an hour and ended up with 33" out of the event and it was rather shor lived. 

Archived