Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Lake Effect Snow Thread

BuffaloWeather

16 hours ago, Willh said:

I guess now is as good a time as any to give a summary of the past week les event/system snow. Since Tuesday it's fairly safe to say that we picked up in excess of 50-55" of snow. It could be more than that.

Either way - I'm happy.

We're under a blizzard warning from 4 AM tomorrow morning until Thursday...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I'm going to be closely watching the radar and window as the setup is perfect for some major white-out LES and blizzard conditions in gusty periods. Over the last several years the best moments of winter have occurred during these setups and if you blink your pretty much miss it. It was ramping up in southern Grey county around 12:30 pm and got pretty bad at times by 1:00 pm but settled down. Right now its clear. I'm suppose to get 10 cm today.

4k NAM through 00z Saturday shows Rogers City (NE Lower) and surrounding areas getting between ~10-14" of additional LES. APX just extended our WSW from 4AM Thursday to 7PM Thursday. If the Saturday/Saturday night storm pans out, could go from basically no snow depth to almost 2 feet in no time. 

We already received about 8" through the morning hours, now in a lull. Once the winds switch back more due west, we should be right in the bullseye again. It was really crazy just how hard the snow was coming down this morning. Haven't seen anything like that in awhile. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.16.30 PM.png

6 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Currently taking a bus home from NYC and we went right through downtown Buffalo about 20 minutes ago. Legit lake effect blizzard out there! Probably one of the most intense snow/wind combos I've witnessed. 

Stiff flags going over the border:

TvVeMmh.jpg

Crazy winds along the water.

22 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Currently taking a bus home from NYC and we went right through downtown Buffalo about 20 minutes ago. Legit lake effect blizzard out there! Probably one of the most intense snow/wind combos I've witnessed.

Stiff flags going over the border:

That looks like it would be a fun ride. I haven't had much today just getting screwed over as usual.

Picked up another 4-5" overnight, one has to wonder if the flake size were a little bigger what kind of totals we could have achieved. Anyway probably another 2-4 today and that should then shutdown the lake guns for a while ahead of the next storm system.  Eastern UP took it on the chin pretty good as well since yesterday afternoon. 

Pretty incredible squall going through Southern Ontario today/this evening. I'm expecting to get by it in a few hours, thinking 4-6" is well within the range of possibility. Could go higher. HRRR Kuchera method putting out some pretty insane totals. All of the county roads in my county have been closed already.

Lake-to-lake:ePYuO2K.jpg

xdOKjQX.png

31 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Pretty incredible squall going through Southern Ontario today/this evening. I'm expecting to get by it in a few hours, thinking 4-6" is well within the range of possibility. Could go higher. HRRR Kuchera method putting out some pretty insane totals. All of the county roads in my county have been closed already.

Lake-to-lake:ePYuO2K.jpg

I'm getting the fat streamer right now, its friggin awesome. It was doing its thing up north while nothing was happening here. Too bad it'll be moving on and this little present will be history. I wish for once it would lock in where I'm at. Best of the year so far.

The highest totals on the HRRR Kuchera method map posted are just south of me.

On 15/12/2016 at 4:10 PM, harrisale said:

Lake-to-lake:

A bit late with this post due to exams at school, but this was something extraordinary. Took me 3.5-4 hours to get home from downtown to Vaughan, what a disaster. The entire city was at a standstill and even 407 was bumper to bumper. If i didnt have an exam I would have elected to stay home. Complete whiteout conditions!

I got about 3.5" in my neck of the woods. Its been a wonderful week for us snow lovers. 

You're going to get another 2 feet tonight and Monday when that clipper races through, more generally I would expect the NW type belts like London, Cleveland and sw/c MI to do well today then bands will shift back north as winds back to westerly, very heavy falls are likely as this clipper is basically just accelerating cold air and raising dew points to where the air mass can reach maximum payloads. Will not be surprised if 20-40 inch amounts are reported next 2 days. Where it's super cold now, watch for temperatures to stall after sunset and start rising slowly. 

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Willh said:

Nice event set for today.

Sposed to get towards a foot of new snow in the NW snow belts.

I think most of the UP north of 28 and over to Ironwood will pick up 2-3 feet in the next couple weeks and as always, the typical sweet spots will end up with much more.  Not sure you will clean up like you did earlier in the month with those nice prolonged w and wsw flows.  Those are your money makers locally, but obviously it's going to snow a lot most places in the Keweenaw.  Still waiting on a nice n or ne enhancement event here, but the snow has been very persistent this month.

18 minutes ago, Willh said:

I just hope more areas get into the action so that the snowmobile season goes well.

I'm happy with what I have...but looking forward to more. But yeah - I really hope other areas get into the action too. I drove up and down the Keweenaw and went to Toivola, Twin Lakes and Mass City - the only area that has decent snowcover is immediately around Calumet/Laurium. It's literally twice as deep here as it is in Houghton.

I love the Mass City area.  Nice and quiet, although a bit more populated than what I like here.  I do business in Greenwood at Pat's Motor Sports.  Even tho the elevation here is 300-400' higher, it looks more dramatic along the Keweenaw spine in that area.  If we can escape any cutters, most of the UP I described earlier will have feet by mid month. 

13 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Most snow belts will do pretty well with this setup, the kink in the hose is that system early next week could be a grinch jr, so sure we can take another hit like that again.  After that the arctic flood gates open up and therefore the LES guns kick back in.

Last GFS I looked at  keeps western UP all snow with the system, but even has mixing issues in southeast cwa.  4-5 day range models lately seem to really be locking in storm tracks.

16 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I love the Mass City area.  Nice and quiet, although a bit more populated than what I like here.  I do business in Greenwood at Pat's Motor Sports.  Even tho the elevation here is 300-400' higher, it looks more dramatic along the Keweenaw spine in that area.  If we can escape any cutters, most of the UP I described earlier will have feet by mid month. 

Last GFS I looked at  keeps western UP all snow with the system, but even has mixing issues in southeast cwa.  4-5 day range models lately seem to really be locking in storm tracks.

P&C calling for 14" for my area through Saturday, not sure i'll see that much but 8-12" is a good bet someone will be around 14-17" if they can get in a dominant Superior-Mich les band for a while.

Lake effect snows and heavy snows in general are a distinct yet uncertain possibility next week for Reno, Nevada, and Northern Nevada in general.

While lake effect snow is not a thing in those parts on the kind of scales it is in the great lakes, every couple of years there are storms that dump localized amounts of 1-3 feet of lake effect snow from the relatively warm waters of Lake Tahoe, a very deep lake.

Archived