SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016-2017 Lake Effect Snow Thread

BuffaloWeather

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will - Cool videos!  It brings back some memories.  I grew up in northern Illinois (and now live in the Florida panhandle), but my grandparents lived in Laurium when I was a kid (1995-2006).  I never got the opportunity to go up there during peak winter, but my grandmother, knowing of my interest in weather, would send pictures in the mail to me periodically through each winter.  However, I did go up there one time with substantial snow on the ground (also saw a few inches of snow on the ground in early October 1999), and that was in April 2006.  Here's a picture of me standing on a snow bank adjacent to my grandparents' driveway. 

laurium_snow.jpg

46 minutes ago, Willh said:

Nice!

I love it up here.

You should take a trip up sometime.

I used to live in northern Maine, near Fort Kent...and while I remember several times having in excess of 55-60 inches of snow on the ground...I kind of prefer the Keweenaw to that. I love how often it seems to snow up here...and I love the clouds.

It's been cloudy basically every day for the past 20+ I think.

We're also on a streak of pretty much 8 days in a row with measurable snowfall. Looking forward....it seems at least the next 10 days will also have measurable snowfall. I love it.

Sounds pretty typical - some years, the snow really gets going by the middle of November up there.  Incidentally, my dad actually grew up in Sault Ste. Marie, in the eastern UP.  Much less snow there (and more of a "city" atmosphere compared to Calumet - not to mention that the Soo is a dump, which is why my grandparents retired to there, plus our ancestry is a copper-mining family) but still 125" in an average winter.  And my dad lived through the infamous winters of the late '70's and early '80's.  He has quite a few stories. 

Someday, I'll have to try making it back up there.  Now that I live in Tallahassee, it's a nice 25-hour drive from here to Calumet (figure 16 to Chicago, another nine to Calumet).  I got my master's degree in meteorology at Penn State last year, and, after taking a few months to "cool off", I applied for a bunch of jobs in the field in late February, including a litany of NWS forecaster openings.  Two of the openings were at the NWS office in Negaunee, so I seized the opportunity to apply for those.  In early May, I accepted the position that I hold here, but, just a week or two after that, I got a phone call from the meteorologist-in-charge at Negaunee to invite me for an interview.  And, it almost sounded like the interview would've been more a formality.  Oh, well...

This is from the GRR NWS

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI   325 PM EST WED DEC 7 2016     LATEST UPDATE...   SYNOPSIS/SHORT TERM/LONG TERM/MARINE       SYNOPSIS     ISSUED AT 325 PM EST WED DEC 7 2016     MUCH COLDER AIR WILL SIT OVER MICHIGAN AND THE GREAT LAKES TONIGHT   THROUGH FRIDAY. THIS WILL BRING PERIODS OF INTENSE LAKE EFFECT   SNOWFALL DOWN-WIND FROM THE LAKES, INCLUDING LAKE MICHIGAN. WINTER   STORM WARNINGS AND ADVISORIES HAVE BEEN POSTED FOR MUCH OF WESTERN   MICHIGAN AS A RESULT. AREAS WEST OF A HOUGHTON LAKE TO GRAND RAPIDS   TO BATTLE CREEK LINE WILL SEE THE HIGHEST IMPACTS, WHERE 4 INCHES,   TO AS MUCH AS A FOOT OF SNOW IS EXPECTED. WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS   GUSTING TO AS HIGH AS 35 MPH WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING,   PARTICULARLY THURSDAY AND THURSDAY EVENING. AREAS EAST OF THIS   LINE WILL SEE 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW.     ANOTHER SNOWY PERIOD IS EXPECTED SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY WITH   ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY.

23 minutes ago, Willh said:

I lived in Fort Kent, Maine (most reliable snow in New England - even more than Coles Pond [VT], Pittsburg [NH], Rangeley [Maine]), for a decade or more. In Maine itself for almost 20 years. I have rarely seen snow this heavy...or this prolonged...and it's been going for almost 5 hours.

Welcome to the UP, Will.  Light snow all day, but the main show starts up here later this evening.  Still thinking 15-18" imby by Friday afternoon.

28 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Welcome to the UP, Will.  Light snow all day, but the main show starts up here later this evening.  Still thinking 15-18" imby by Friday afternoon.

8-12 a good bet around me Kalkaska will probably be the winner with 12-16" thru Sat

Willh, wait until you see 3-4" per hour (doesn't happen very often) , about as good as it gets around our LES areas

19 minutes ago, ConfusedKitten said:

Screenshot_2016-12-08-13-40-18-679_com.android.chrome.png

HRRR has me pretty hyped, but with that tight of a gradient I'm also bracing for disappointment. Somewhere is gonna get hammered tonight, hopefully the squall stalls right over London.

Cool image.  It comes down to watching the radar and seeing if the band sinks and can lock on your location.   It's like playing the slots, you wait and hope the right combo comes up.   Where are you located in the city?   I am in the SW part.  

23 minutes ago, London snowsquall said:

Cool image.  It comes down to watching the radar and seeing if the band sinks and can lock on your location.   It's like playing the slots, you wait and hope the right combo comes up.   Where are you located in the city?   I am in the SW part.  

I'm up in North London near the university, I hope Byron area gets a decent amount though so Boler can open soon. Most of the models have the winds just right, but at this point might as well just wait and see how it unfolds.

1 hour ago, ConfusedKitten said:

I'm up in North London near the university, I hope Byron area gets a decent amount though so Boler can open soon. Most of the models have the winds just right, but at this point might as well just wait and see how it unfolds.

I'm living on the east part of Campus. Tonight could go either way... the gradient is so sharp. Should be pretty interesting.

5 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

I'm living on the east part of Campus. Tonight could go either way... the gradient is so sharp. Should be pretty interesting.

Looks like we have the central and western parts covered.   As always with the bands,   exactly where they set up or where (or if) a dominant band sets up shop is the million dollar question.  Warning now in place for anywhere between 30-50+cms.  Getting the grass covered would be a good start........

32 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

That big fat streamer is coming over me but I didn't notice any change with the snow. Generally its getting denser as the day goes on. 5 cm was forecast for today and I'm already over that. 

Where are you at?  I guess Listowel area or maybe Mitchell?  Regardless you are usually in a better area than I am here......

From the Lake Effect Expert himself Tom Niziol. Show us what makes the Chautauqua ridge as one of the best spots for LES. Annual snowfall of 200"+

15337612_1115651128548243_90233222850174https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/15384374_1115651121881577_5984914494370661653_o.jpg?oh=4459b23c0af57f04a11cf3e0566a0ca6&oe=58BA9D4A

17" so far as of 548 PM today in Perrysburg NY (Elevation 1,322′) . Another 1-2' forecast by Sat. Morning. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

Archived