Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, bluewave said:

If the +EPO verifies and models continue over doing Atlantic blocking then that could be possible. We'll have to see how long that poleward Aleutian ridge can hold on before fading.

Bluewave, you can add the new Euro weeklies to the list of models showing a big positive EPO come mid month

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Not during the 2000's. We needed at least one DJF month with a -EPO for a good winter. The one common denominator for the worst winters 

of 01-02, 06-07, 07-08, and 11-12 was a dominant +EPO pattern. 

Thanks. Hopefully the positive epo is short lived.

18 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It's looking pretty unanimous with the models starting after 12/15. I think the question is going to become not if but for how long? 

Yes but you know that these models can be unanimously in sync then diverge as time goes on and vice versa. Especially it being 2 weeks out. If it happens so be it but until its less than a week out I'm taking it with a grain of salt

6 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Yes but you know that these models can be unanimously in sync then diverge as time goes on and vice versa. Especially it being 2 weeks out. If it happens so be it but until its less than a week out I'm taking it with a grain of salt

Before then we should have a few threats with cold air around. Obviously we still risk cutters 

11 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Taking anything 2 weeks out, especially climo models is not wise, the cold air was 2 weeks out all winter last year.... it felt like each week the pattern change was always 2 weeks out...

also the EPS is still BN, past Dec 15 with a single 0- +1 day for metro area

It's looking pretty unanimous with the models starting after 12/15. I think the question is going to become not if but for how long? 

And we all know those LR and weeklies are consistently accurate. The phantom day 10 storms, case in point. Sarcasm intended. I dont trust the LR stuff while the pattern/season is transitioning especially. Could be right, could be wrong but I wouldnt be buying stock in those D+15 forecasts at this time.

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

And we all know those LR and weeklies are consistently accurate. The phantom day 10 storms, case in point. Sarcasm intended. I dont trust the LR stuff while the pattern/season is transitioning especially. Could be right, could be wrong but I wouldnt be buying stock in those D+15 forecasts at this time.

I'd normally agree even with unanimous models in the long range saying raging Pacific jet and strong +EPO, but the caveat here is the stratospheric PV. It's looking likely now that it strengthens substantially and moves right over the north pole. If that happens, we are in real serious trouble and I mean real serious. There's no way to sugar coat that scenario 

Archived