Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The EPS has been all over this pattern change since the first week of December. It's just that some didn't believe the modeling would be correct.

It's unusual to see such a dramatic EPO/AO shift around the 20th of December. So people looking at the models didn't think that the pattern could flip so fast.

I can't find any other examples of this type of pattern change on the Atlantic and Pacific sides at the same time right near the winter solstice.

CzAnmhlXEAAtRUO.jpg-small.jpg

One can argue the last 10 days or so was simply a break in the torch pattern we've been in for close to 2 years....let's see if the cold can return or we end up tracking day 10 cold and snow for the next 2 months

16 minutes ago, snywx said:

1° for a low here 

Looks like POU got down to 3. So the no December below 0 streak continues since the last one on 12/23/08 at -2 degrees.

The last December -10 or lower at POU looks like 1989. That goes with the last single digits in December for NYC.

2 hours ago, Snow88 said:

this warmup and pattern are being overplayed. No it's not a good snow pattern for awhile but it's damn cold this week and Christmas weekend looks pretty seasonal. With that high and shallow mean trough in SE Canada it won't be any torch at all the next week aside from the chance of a warm push ahead of anything that cuts. And behind anything that cuts is always the chance of a follow up system caught in shorter long wave that could do a little dirty work. Beyond 10 days who knows, it does appear pattern could get colder and stormier after the new year. 

pna.sprd2.gif

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

The EPS has been all over this pattern change since the first week of December. It's just that some didn't believe the modeling would be correct.

It's unusual to see such a dramatic EPO/AO shift around the 20th of December. So people looking at the models didn't think that the pattern could flip so fast.

I can't find any other examples of this type of pattern change on the Atlantic and Pacific sides at the same time right near the winter solstice.

CzAnmhlXEAAtRUO.jpg-small.jpg

1989 is pretty close.  It may have been 7-10 days later but not far off.  1993 also did a major reversal at this point

2 hours ago, 6zNam said:

Last few Gfs runs show a 1040+ HP centered over Quebec on Sunday. That should keep our temps colder for X-mas if it were to verify

The one noticeable thing this year so far has been big highs coming across that area.  Some have mentioned how this looks or feels like an 80s winter for the coast.  The one thing we often seemed to have in the 1980s, even the lousier winters was more frequent stronger and colder Arctic highs in Quebec or northern New England 

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the 1989 pattern change happened right around the start of January rather than the solstice. The 1993 reversal was in the opposite direction

and was the last NYC 10 degree reading during December on 12/27/93. That was the early signal of the the historic January 1994 Arctic outbreak.

It was also much longer lasting and colder. It started right around the time of the thanksgiving storm and lasted through most of December. Unfortunately we had little to show for it as most of the predicted snow events that month busted. I do remember the flip happening right around the 30th and never really going back to cold for any extended periods

7 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

It was also much longer lasting and colder. It started right around the time of the thanksgiving storm and lasted through most of December. Unfortunately we had little to show for it as most of the predicted snow events that month busted. I do remember the flip happening right around the 30th and never really going back to cold for any extended periods

Wow I am getting old as I remember that time very well. Thanksgiving morning snow around 5" and then a very cold December. Then from News Years Day onward was complete flip to non winter.

When was the storm in December of 1989 with winter storm warnings only to be heavy rain with thunder and lighting?

The 1993-1994 winter had so many events of snow, snow to ice, snow to rain, rain to snow. A good chunk of them happened on Wednesdays for some odd reason. No weekend rule that year.

Wow I am getting old as I remember that time very well. Thanksgiving morning snow around 5" and then a very cold December. Then from News Years Day onward was complete flip to non winter.

When was the storm in December of 1989 with winter storm warnings only to be heavy rain with thunder and lighting?

The 1993-1994 winter had so many events and a good chunk of them landed on Wednesdays for some odd reason.

12/15/89. Awful night. Temp went from 28 to 40 and snowed for like 5 minutes before turning to heavy rain at the coast. This was before we had twc or anything so I just remember being in disbelief and having no way of knowing what happened and hoping it would change back to snow

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

12/15/89. Awful night. Temp went from 28 to 40 and snowed for like 5 minutes before turning to heavy rain at the coast. This was before we had twc or anything so I just remember being in disbelief and having no way of knowing what happened and hoping it would change back to snow

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

There was also another busted event a few days prior although that one they basically caught 48 hours out that it wouldn't happen. DCA and BWI I think had 6-12 inches.  It ended up way south than the 60-96 hour projections 

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

There was also another busted event a few days prior although that one they basically caught 48 hours out that it wouldn't happen. DCA and BWI I think had 6-12 inches.  It ended up way south than the 60-96 hour projections 

There was another one earlier in the month where it snowed most of the day but temps were too warm and didn't accumulate much even though 3-6 was forecast. Then behind the 15th storm it turned bitterly cold with daily snow showers but overall the month produced very little.

Today, the Arctic Oscillation (AO) rocketed to +3.879. That brings the December average to +0.953.

Typically, such a positive AO suggests a mild first half of January. Since 1950, there have been nine years during which the AO peaked at +3.500 or above in the December 20-31 period. Only two of those cases featured a colder-than-normal January 1-15. This does not necessarily mean that "winter is over." In two thirds of the cases, combined January-February-March snowfall came to 15" or more in New York City (Mean: 17.8"; Median: 16.4"). In one-third of the cases, it exceeded 20". Only a single case saw less than 10" snowfall during that timeframe.

More details are below:

Jan1-15from12202016.jpg

Archived