Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

If it won't snow it might as well be warm. Who wants cold and dry?

Not me thats for sure. Days of blasting west winds. We already did that in November when at least it's common. 

I will say though if we keep the cold on this side of the pole eventually things will line up. Anyone tossing this winter is drinking the coolade again

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not me thats for sure. Days of blasting west winds. We already did that in November when at least it's common. 

I will say though if we keep the cold on this side of the pole eventually things will line up. Anyone tossing this winter is drinking the coolade again

Agree, we're early.   If we get to Jan 31st and there's nothing then time to pack it in.  December is often warm and snowless especially the past few years...no need to panic based on that.  

6 hours ago, snowman19 said:

That's what I posted was coming of this pattern yesterday and I got attacked. I'll say it again, this is not an east coast snow pattern at all. Interior northeast yea, Ohio valley, Midwest yea. Bad pattern for the east coast though. And that poleward Aleutian ridge is not a -EPO. It's west of the EPO region. People keep mistakenly referring to it as -EPO

You get attacked because of how you say it not what you say. My criticism isn't even that your wrong, simply that you have no credibility because all you do is beat the same drum all the time. I know last year the only time you popped into my forum was to make a comment when a snow threat was falling apart or when the pattern looked awful. Then when it was about to snow you would disappear completely only to return as soon as things looked bad again. People aren't stupid. It's transparent what your agenda is. I criticize JB the same way. I might love what he is saying but he has no cred because all he ever does is hype snow and cherry pick things that support it. You do the same thing just in an opposite way. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You get attacked because of how you say it not what you say. My criticism isn't even that your wrong, simply that you have no credibility because all you do is beat the same drum all the time. I know last year the only time you popped into my forum was to make a comment when a snow threat was falling apart or when the pattern looked awful. Then when it was about to snow you would disappear completely only to return as soon as things looked bad again. People aren't stupid. It's transparent what your agenda is. I criticize JB the same way. I might love what he is saying but he has no cred because all he ever does is hype snow and cherry pick things that support it. You do the same thing just in an opposite way. 

Last year before the blizzard he said he pattern didn't support it when in fact the record Kara Sea Block plummeted the -AO and we had one of the biggest snowstorms on record.   Im not a huge fan of the upcoming pattern either, but we all get it.  No need for the same post day in day out. 

The EPS still looks good , it`s cold  in the 3 - 10 with a good  500  .

Today`s day 13 looks a lot better than yesterdays day 14 , you can see the trough d 13/14 is deeper through the lakes . 

But should not touch past day 10 , no need . It`s a very good pattern for cold and what I think will end up being a good pattern for snow before the pattern reverses a few days either side of the 20th  . 

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

The EPS still looks good , it`s cold  in the 3 - 10 with a good  500  .

Today`s day 13 looks a lot better than yesterdays day 14 , you can see the trough d 13/14 is deeper through the lakes . 

But should not touch past day 10 , no need . It`s a very good pattern for cold and what I think will end up being a good pattern for snow before the pattern reverses a few days either side of the 20th  . 

What's your Twitter name?

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Sitting at 41 here currently. Lots of bright echoes on radar, most likely indicative of melting snow aloft. 

Yep. Looks like classic bright banding on the radar. The latest HRRR is suggesting snow actually gets further southeast than was expected, into northwestern Rockland and Bergen counties now. If precip rates are really as intense as the HRRR shows with strong enough UVVs, it may dynamically cool the column enough from aloft to get all snow down to the surface. There may be a surprise in those areas tonight where they were expecting all rain...

48 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What's your Twitter name?

I don't have one Kev.

I  have been on the 5th thru the 20 th for a while .

Mostly away , I am BN temps wise and put myself on the hook for AN snow all the way to NYC during the period but  aimed at week 2 

Snow is always the risk on the coastal plain in mid December but I like the source region and the confluence it can provide. 

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Rain sleet mix on the upper west side. I wasn't expecting any frozen at all here

43 and a sleet rain mix here in SW Suffolk also. Good sounding for sleet with cold layer beneath a warm layer.

SFC 1010    28   4.6   1.0  78  3.5   3.0  66   7 276.9 277.6 275.7 288.1  4.08
  1 1000   109   4.3  -0.0  74  4.3   2.4  72  13 277.4 278.1 275.6 287.9  3.81
  2  950   525   0.9  -1.7  83  2.6  -0.2  86  23 278.1 278.7 275.6 287.9  3.55
  3  900   957  -1.6  -3.7  86  2.1  -2.4  98  25 279.9 280.4 276.1 288.9  3.23
  4  850  1413  -1.3  -2.4  92  1.1  -1.7 107  24 284.8 285.5 279.3 295.5  3.76
  5  800  1897  -0.2  -0.6  97  0.5  -0.4 124  25 291.0 291.8 283.1 304.2  4.56
  6  750  2414   0.1  -0.0  99  0.1   0.1 161  26 296.7 297.6 285.9 311.8  5.10

9 hours ago, bluewave said:

GEFS hinting at the first NYC -10 departure since May 1st around December 16th. A -10 Departure for NYC would work out to a 33/22 max/min.

NYC Dec monthly mins since 2010:

D10.jpg

2015 was so ridiculous...

The main driver of this upcoming pattern opined here from a few days is the WPO.

The - 2SD ridging has bent that Siberian jet back over the Arctic and down into W Canada. This is not strat driven, there's a negative PNA and the Atlantic did not help this, this is mostly a function of that same exact same jet that cut all that cold water across the PAC in Oct and Nov being forced back over the top .

That extremely cold air is making its way down W Canada through the upper mid west and east across the CONUS. 

And may be here for 10 plus days .

So what is likely to happen during this period besides the well BN we will experience is that those cutters that you keep seeing modeled don't.

( one in any pattern could) but the warm  cutter pattern is going on vacation.

Sometimes in patterns like this even if a center does end up to your west, you will snow on the front end and drizzle at the end .

My idea is there's more than one cold enough system before the 20th  in this pattern .

even for the coast. 

49 minutes ago, Googlymoogly said:

Still warmer post-20th? This is some real-deal BRRRRR coming.

The WPO is forecast between 2 to 3 SD BN over the next 15 days so we and Canada are still cold through the 20th.

Need to see what the ridge looks like accross the S in a few days on the ensembles. 

If that ridge does come N then the Barroclinic zone gets forced N of us.

lots to focus on over the next 12 days , hopefully something produces .

This block going up near the Bering Sea is among the strongest recorded in December during recent years. The only stronger block that I could find

was a +500 meter anomaly back in December 2010. The two closest positive anomalies in that region for December were

in 2013 and 2008. Both those years reached 400+ meters like the one the next few days. Following the very strong blocks in 2008 and 2013

NYC recorded minimum temperatures of 13 and 19 degrees. Monthly snowfall for NYC totaled 6.0" and 8.6".

2016...+434 meters

2016.png

400+ meters in 2008 and 2013

12:14:08.gif

12:1:13.gif

Archived