SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro looks rather zonal (after brief arctic intrusion late this week) thru at least the 16th with the coldest air bottled up along and North of the Canadian border. At least the ridge is still there up into W Alaska in the form of a quasi -epo and the SE ridge is non-evident. Maybe a weak +pna trying to emerge post D+10.

4339f1e482a42e462334d24e1e45ffcf.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Euro looks rather zonal (after brief arctic intrusion late this week) thru at least the 16th with the coldest air bottled up along and North of the Canadian border. At least the ridge is still there up into W Alaska in the form of a quasi -epo and the SE ridge is non-evident. Maybe a weak +pna/-nao trying to emerge post D+10.

4339f1e482a42e462334d24e1e45ffcf.jpg

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Lake cutters galore on all guidance, not excited about pattern

That's what I posted was coming of this pattern yesterday and I got attacked. I'll say it again, this is not an east coast snow pattern at all. Interior northeast yea, Ohio valley, Midwest yea. Bad pattern for the east coast though. And that poleward Aleutian ridge is not a -EPO. It's west of the EPO region. People keep mistakenly referring to it as -EPO

That's what I posted was coming of this pattern yesterday and I got attacked. I'll say it again, this is not an east coast snow pattern at all. Interior northeast yea, Ohio valley, Midwest yea. Bad pattern for the east coast though. And that poleward Aleutian ridge is not a -EPO. It's west of the EPO region. People keep mistakenly referring to it as -EPO

Where is the EPO region located? Closer to the GOA nearer the Eastern side of the Aleutians?

Im not sure that pattern spells big storm for anyone quite frankly. With no SE ridge and the fast flow around the PV, not many chances for amplification unless we can get the Atlantic to cooperate. I dont see much blocking with that pattern verbatim. Looks seasonably cold and 'clipper-ish' for our areas imo.

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Lake cutters galore on all guidance, not excited about pattern

How's your lakes cutter for today? So far this season, the models have went away with the lakes cutter as the days got near.

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

That's NOT a terrible pattern for the East Coast from maybe DCA (?) thru BOS. Likely wouldn't produce a monster storm per se but clippers with enough to get the shovels out possibly. 

It's a good overrunning pattern. Lets just hope alot of us are on the snowy side.

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

How's your lakes cutter for today? So far this season, the models have went away with the lakes cutter as the days got near.

It's a good overrunning pattern. Lets just hope alot of us are on the snowy side.

I'm not sure what your arguement is? This was never a lake cutter? All the way back to a day 10 GFS, this was an initial overrunning with coastal development 

case in point, last Thursday and last Tuesday GFS run, same storm, timing is all that changed and wobble on track, never projected to be a cutter, All I was saying is future pattern holds several cutters with back end snow possible, my observation was correct, don't take it so personal.

IMG_0597.PNG

IMG_0598.PNG

45 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Looks like the lowest for Central Park was 34F on Nov 20. Really late freeze this year though forecasts do have upper 20s late this week.

Bad early season cold source and lack of snow cover in Canada. The one cold shot we did have it was to windy at night to drop the temps. Models have been to low at night for temps. Numerous nights temps failed to reach the forecast low 

Archived