Newest Member
    joxey
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It's like the GFS saw this post and gave a 2 -day rainstorm to start the new year. 

That's usually the way that works - of course... But nah, no quite .. not really even close, actually.

I didn't say 'nothing is going to happen' (first of all).  Secondly, I was speaking in terms of storm intensity and probabilities of getting thusly designed around winter antics in general.  That runs specifics actually support the notion... You have a theta-e rich EC system with tons of cold air in the Lakes and Plains, but because the S/W(s) in the flow can't differentiate the flow, the cyclogenesis parameters keep that system week.  It's obviously overbloated too - but that's another story.

If you wanted to sarcastically enter a counter point you should have used that Plains system slated to take place over this present weekend - but even there... that system's been attenuated by some 10 to 15 mb in central pressure compared to early modeling.

Look, I didn't say it can't happen.

8 hours ago, weathafella said:

Contrast to the Midwest.  ORD is -6.4 below, already with 17.7 snow on the month, a low of -13 and 3 December days going below 0.  I'm heading there for a family celebration the weekend of 1/20-can use be cold!

Hardly much contrast, IMO.  Pretty close numbers to my backyard.  We've had a tad more snow, colder lows and at least 3 days below 0.  

40 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's usually the way that works - of course... But nah, no quite .. not really even close, actually.

I didn't say 'nothing is going to happen' (first of all).  Secondly, I was speaking in terms of storm intensity and probabilities of getting thusly designed around winter antics in general.  That runs specifics actually support the notion... You have a theta-e rich EC system with tons of cold air in the Lakes and Plains, but because the S/W(s) in the flow can't differentiate the flow, the cyclogenesis parameters keep that system week.  It's obviously overbloated too - but that's another story.

If you wanted to sarcastically enter a counter point you should have used that Plains system slated to take place over this present weekend - but even there... that system's been attenuated by some 10 to 15 mb in central pressure compared to early modeling.

Look, I didn't say it can't happen.

LOL, I actually agreed with your post....I just was pointing out how the GFS sort of said..."oh yeah..." and put out that solution. 

1 hour ago, WthrJunkyME said:

Hardly much contrast, IMO.  Pretty close numbers to my backyard.  We've had a tad more snow, colder lows and at least 3 days below 0.  

Except Chicago snow climo is much lower vs you.  They average about 39 inches an entire winter.   Are you -6 subnormal on temperatures for the month?  Oh and Chicago latitude is similar to NYC though they probably average about 7 degrees lower in winter.

50 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Except Chicago snow climo is much lower vs you.  They average about 39 inches an entire winter.   Are you -6 subnormal on temperatures for the month?  Oh and Chicago latitude is similar to NYC though they probably average about 7 degrees lower in winter.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn.  But wouldn't a Boston be a better comparison, geographically?

38 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn.  But wouldn't a Boston be a better comparison, geographically?

Boston has about 10% more snow per season and is not as cold.  So BOS having 1/3 of Chicago snow this December with also less robust minus departures to me is telling and suggests that the Midwest has had the best of winter vs normal this month vs New England.

Chicago always seemed like a good weather city. They are not close to a mild ocean. I understand they are near the lake but often that helps them in snowstorms. They do great with thunder storms and heat in the summer months. The cold doesn't modify by the time it gets to them. They also can get lake effect and have high ratios because is so cold during storms. It's definitely closer to climo of Boston then NYC. 

9 hours ago, weathafella said:

Boston has about 10% more snow per season and is not as cold.  So BOS having 1/3 of Chicago snow this December with also less robust minus departures to me is telling and suggests that the Midwest has had the best of winter vs normal this month vs New England.

Of course, what you say is true.   I had the pleasure of visiting Chicago twice.  Both in January of different years and it was the coldest I've ever been aside from the top of some big mountains.  The wind was the culprit, I couldn't get warm.

I guess when I compare our December this year with last year's, I figured we're doing better than everyone else!

Boston is actually closer to Detroit's snow climo than Chicago...even though Chicago is only about 4-5" less than BOS. 

The way they get there is a lot different though. BOS has way more 6"+ storms than either city...but the two Midwest cities have many more days of measurable. 

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seemed like a pretty normal month to me....AWT.

Through 12/27

BOS: -0.1

ORH: -0.3

PVD: exactly normal

BDL:  exactly normal 

QPF is on the low side for the big 4 but snow is in the range or normal.  I think temps end up maybe 0.5-1 above when we reach midnight Saturday night.

Overall good call Ray.

Archived