Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

I will say this. The 12z and 18z GFS today are insistent on an icy mess in parts of Indiana and Ohio next weekend.

I remember the last big Icing threat for IN and OH that was 6 or 7 days out.   The threat evaporated to the point where we didn't even get rain.   In a bad winter where storms fall apart... failure begets failure.   I expect either light rain or a whiff to the south next weekend.

Just now, Hoosier said:

More than 12 inches or big ice is my threshold now. Anything less than that, no thanks.

Yep, same boat here. Thankfully this time of year if either come they won't last long and would be good for soil moisture for areas that have been drier.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

More than 12 inches or big ice is my threshold now. Anything less than that, no thanks.

At least you aren't flying out of O'Hare Saturday. How about that luck. A record futility streak broken with a 14" storm that just happens to be the ONE day I need that futility streak to show up. 

00z Euro: The system for Saturday goes south and hits Indianapolis to Cincinnati to New Jersey! It has the big system for Tuesday for Chicago through Cleveland and farther east-- leading to a massive New York Adirondacks snowstorm at the end of the run (240 hours).

2 hours ago, Chinook said:

00z Euro: The system for Saturday goes south and hits Indianapolis to Cincinnati to New Jersey! It has the big system for Tuesday for Chicago through Cleveland and farther east-- leading to a massive New York Adirondacks snowstorm at the end of the run (240 hours).

That was a great run for I-70 and south. GFS seems to be getting colder with each run so might be headed toward this?

The NAO does not look impressive, verbatim, but I think this is a case where getting overly focused on one zone can be misleading.  The overall look in Canada should make it unlikely for storms to cut hard this weekend/early next week.

nao.sprd2.gif

1 hour ago, Jrad08 said:

Storm @ 240 hrs means business.... yes out in fantasy land but modeled on several runs

Seeing how the Vernal Equinox is on the 20th of March, this needs to be in the spring long range thread. Might want to get this going. Winter will be long and gone by 240 hours.

5 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Seeing how the Vernal Equinox is on the 20th of March, this needs to be in the spring long range thread. Might want to get this going. Winter will be long and gone by 240 hours.

There is one but it fell down the page.

Besides, don't we usually keep winter related discussions in here so as to not offend the people wanting warm weather? :P

Archived