• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

As the Pacific pattern reshuffles following the current jet extension (which is driving all the warmth into the region), we should see the return of a -EPO beyond Feb 22nd towards early March. By early March the EPO ridge will most likely shift towards the Aleutians (more common in La Nina's), and the coldest anomalies will be centered around the plains. So should storm possibilities present themselves, our best chance at seeing any widespread accumulating snowfall looks to be between Feb 22nd and early March IMO.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_45.png\

Then again, I've said that all winter long and despite the "favourable pattern", we've still ended up with rain and warmth. However, I think we'll see atleast one decent storm in the time-frame above^. Lets see. 

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Looks like a transient warmup... I'm liking the digging trough right after that. The Yoop seems to be spared most of the warmup too.

Lol "transient"

guess the cold we had in Feb 2015 was transient too.

21 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

I think we are moving from LaNina to more ENSO neutral now as I check water temps in the Pacific.  

For sure

ENSO neutral springs following La Nina winters:  1951, 1965, 1972, 1976, 1996, 2001, 2012.  Honorable mentions for 1963, 1967, 1968, 2006, 2009.

24 minutes ago, Maxim said:

Lol "transient"

guess the cold we had in Feb 2015 was transient too.

Hey Alek, PM me with your Xbox gamertag so I can kick your butt, mine is Snowmobiler1012.

Everything is transient.... My point was that the warmup isn't going to usher in spring... It's just another rollercoaster ride in a crappy winter.

3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Good lord...

he did it again.

JB just posted a column laying forth the argument that he nailed the pattern at 500 all winter long, including all of his forecasted pattern flips....

but the surface didn't cooperate.   You can't make this stuff up. 

:facepalm:

Is that worth the read during my dump later? When it's gotten warm it's not because of a 500mb trough over the NE failing to bring cold.  

6 hours ago, buckeye said:

Good lord...

he did it again.

JB just posted a column laying forth the argument that he nailed the pattern at 500 all winter long, including all of his forecasted pattern flips....

but the surface didn't cooperate.   You can't make this stuff up. 

:facepalm:

He is a hack and not worth acknowledging anymore. People need to stop paying attention to him and maybe, just maybe he will fade from existence in the meteorological community.

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

He is a hack and not worth acknowledging anymore. People need to stop paying attention to him and maybe, just maybe he will fade from existence in the meteorological community.

I love wxbell in the winter.   You can't beat the graphics and informtion on the model page.   I subscribe from Dec to March.   But when I log on, sitting off to the side is JB's column....it's like driving by an offensive car wreck full of carnage....you know you shouldn't look....but....

Monday's 12z GFS again has quite a potent fantasy storm at the end of its run around March 1.  Of greater significance is something I've noticed and Gil Sebenste of NIU Weather commented on today is that the Gulf of Mexico is unusually warm with no arctic intrusions.  Research has shown that with the greater amount of available moisture the svr season could be enhanced.  I'm thinking of the March 2, 2012  Henryville IN EF 4 as we come off a mild LaNina to more neutral territory and enter met spring.

On February 11, 2017 at 5:13 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

:sun:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf-ens/2017021112/ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_10.png

That feeling you get when the highest anomalies are right over your head. My forecast point for Saturday is already 10ºC whereas 2 days ago it was 4ºC. Can't wait for this stupid ass winter to end.

On February 12, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Snowstorms said:

12z GFS has the Great Lakes Blizzard of 78 redux beyond 240 hours, lol.

That reminds me of that "legit blizzard" the models (can't remember if it was both the Euro and GFS or one of them) were showing for Christmas day (even more cool - showing the absolute worst conditions before/during 7 am Christmas morning) in 2014 right for southern Ontario. One run had 954 mb near K-W. In typical 2014 fashion it was just a joke and one last giant middle finger from that "fantastic" year.

Euro has trended quicker, and now weaker with the late week system.  Not surprising considering how that has happened quite a bit this winter.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the weakening trend continue, but hopefully that won't be the case.  The quicker/weaker system also cuts away next Friday from the 60+ streak for much of the western sub.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

18z GFS is something.  Storm after storm taking similar tracks give or take 100-200 miles.

Imagine that pattern 6 weeks from now, we'd be talking incredible severe weather numbers. Even as it stands there is potential in this pattern if we can get enough wave spacing and no cutoff nonsense.

Archived