joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 day forecast locally looks pretty bad, mid to upper 40's and 50's through next Wednesday. It looks like my call of entering February with less than 3" of snowfall very well could verify. I have recorded 1/2" snow for the month of January which is just absurd. 

This winter has had shades of 2011-2012 yes more pronounced cold snaps, but the huge warm ups, and lack of snowfall is 2011 esque.

kind of wonder if we are not going to enter a early spring this year. 

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

7 day forecast locally looks pretty bad, mid to upper 40's and 50's through next Wednesday. It looks like my call of entering February with less than 3" of snowfall very well could verify. I have recorded 1/2" snow for the month of January which is just absurd. 

This winter has had shades of 2011-2012 yes more pronounced cold snaps, but the huge warm ups, and lack of snowfall is 2011 esque.

kind of wonder if we are not going to enter a early spring this year. 

Locally, this winter has by far been much worse than 2011-2012. We had many snow events, but the snow just didn't stick around. This winter, we have had about 3 weeks of snow cover while the ridiculous thaws have wiped things out. Plus, snowfall has been sparse. Compared to avg., super ugly here. I agree with those saying worse than that season.

Now, looking long range, clippers can definitely turn that around. The whole pattern still seems goofy to me though. Just very cautious about anything great.

12z GFS is back to what its been teasing me with for days now for when I'll be up in North West Wisconsin.

Just give me next weeks mid-week storm and I wont ask or complain for any more. 

We've had a few spring hiccups this winter but I anticipated there would be going in to it..  I had 07/08 like on the brain for this winter.  I knew we wouldn't be dry - it was always what side of the line were you going to be on..  Now that we're all in our prime winter climo -  It should be a nice spread the wealth end to the winter of 2017.  2017 gave me the best 2 week's leading up to Xmas morning we've had in some time.   That right there gives this winter a B grade from me.

8 hours ago, blackrock said:

Locally, this winter has by far been much worse than 2011-2012. We had many snow events, but the snow just didn't stick around. This winter, we have had about 3 weeks of snow cover while the ridiculous thaws have wiped things out. Plus, snowfall has been sparse. Compared to avg., super ugly here. I agree with those saying worse than that season.

Now, looking long range, clippers can definitely turn that around. The whole pattern still seems goofy to me though. Just very cautious about anything great.

December was a very nice stretch here. Far better than anything in 2011-12. Let's get this week out of the way and let winter resume.

4 hours ago, UMB WX said:

12z GFS is back to what its been teasing me with for days now for when I'll be up in North West Wisconsin.

Just give me next weeks mid-week storm and I wont ask or complain for any more. 

We've had a few spring hiccups this winter but I anticipated there would be going in to it..  I had 07/08 like on the brain for this winter.  I knew we wouldn't be dry - it was always what side of the line were you going to be on..  Now that we're all in our prime winter climo -  It should be a nice spread the wealth end to the winter of 2017.  2017 gave me the best 2 week's leading up to Xmas morning we've had in some time.   That right there gives this winter a B grade from me.

It was an awesome December. Definitely not great now but the light is at the end of the tunnel.

Not many posts from anyone in Ontario of recent, but all models show a rain to wet snow event for much of the GTA and a snow/sleet storm further East towards Ottawa and Montreal. 

18z 12km Nam had 6-8" for Toronto, with amounts closer to 3-4" near the Lake and 7-10" for Hamilton. Further east, Ottawa and Montreal were around 6-10" mixed with some sleet. 

12z Euro which seemed to be more stable in terms of the upper level pattern vs the GFS, based on my analysis, had 0.60 qpf of snow for Toronto, or 6" at 10:1 snow ratios. Certainly worth watching, however still no consensus among the models. 18z RGEM looked similar to the 18z NAM/12z Euro at the last frame. 

GFS seems to be the driest of the models with amounts of 2-4" for the GTA and UKMET being the wettest. Very temperature dependent. Would need to watch for any layer of warmth at 700mb or 850mb that may cause sleet in some areas. 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Not many posts from anyone in Ontario of recent, but all models show a rain to wet snow event for much of the GTA and a snow/sleet storm further East towards Ottawa and Montreal. 

18z 12km Nam had 6-8" for Toronto, with amounts closer to 3-4" near the Lake and 7-10" for Hamilton. Further east, Ottawa and Montreal were around 6-10" mixed with some sleet. 

12z Euro which seemed to be more stable in terms of the upper level pattern vs the GFS, based on my analysis, had 0.60 qpf of snow for Toronto, or 6" at 10:1 snow ratios. Certainly worth watching, however still no consensus among the models. 18z RGEM looked similar to the 18z NAM/12z Euro at the last frame. 

GFS seems to be the driest of the models with amounts of 2-4" for the GTA and UKMET being the wettest. Very temperature dependent. Would need to watch for any layer of warmth at 700mb or 850mb that may cause sleet in some areas. 

Yes, I don't know what's happened to snowstormcanuck.

Would be nice to get a 6" event out of this.

4 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Yes, I don't know what's happened to snowstormcanuck.

Would be nice to get a 6" event out of this.

Can't disagree with his absence. All the putrid winters these last few years have taken its toll on alot of members, lol. 

0z suite (0z GFS/0z GGEM) have 1-3" across the GTA, lol. 0z NAM has 3-6", which is on its own right now.

We can't win! 

While not very cold, the upcoming pattern will be more seasonable/wintry than what we've been having lately.  Probably a good thing that we aren't looking at severe cold as it would be coming with bare or almost bare ground for a good chunk of the area outside of the Lakes and the area that gets significant snow from today/tomorrow's system.

There is a bit of a signal for early February showing up that could yield a nice storm. The Euro and the Euro Ensembles are showing a storm for the region during that period too. The PNA goes back to slightly negative, the AO drops slightly negative and the NAO also goes slighly negative. A good mix for a pattern for us and not the East coast.

Yeah Super Bowl weekend is consistently showing up as the next decent storm system to follow.  Euro op would be another rainer for most of us, with the GFS consistently showing more of a snow system.  Normally wouldn't even look that far out on an op model and take it too seriously, but it's the only thing to look at.  Weak clippers don't do much for me.  

Don't think I can take another cold rainer, so if it's not going to be primarily snow I'll be hoping for a complete whiff.

Archived