Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

This morning's GFS doesn't do anything to buoy my hopes for this quasi clipper. I was hoping to see it do a little more digging. Still a producer for Northern MI and our ON posters.

The end of the NAM run shows a similar track, but does carry much more precip with it, throwing some down our way. Is it being its usual overjuiced self or is it picking up on more Pacific moisture transport?

I'm not seeing the precip this far south on the NAM.  The composite reflectivity shows stuff, but that can be misleading.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

12z GFS and GGEM both have a nice looking storm on Christmas and into early next week.  Let's see about the Euro.

Holy smokes that would be a Christmas miracle up here on the 12z Euro. 1-2 feet for much of MN and northern WI. Never want to be in the crosshairs this far out though...

18z GFS still has the Christmas storm.  Only about 25 runs to go. ;)

This particular depiction looks interesting, with almost a straight rain/snow transition zone.  With a sprawling 1040+ mb high to the north in late December, it seems odd to not have more of an icy transition zone.  Who knows if the setup will look like this or even exist by then though

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_29.png

45 minutes ago, andyhb said:

That cut-off in the SW is going to play a huge role in whatever happens towards Christmas. Going to be a difficult forecast because of it.

Good catch.  

Hopefully we can manage a big, widespread storm out of this.  The height rises/SE ridge being progged on the guidance reaches almost stupid levels, so anything ejecting out is going to be hard pressed to be too suppressed.

GRR likes the GFS so far...

The operational GFS and ECMWF diverge somewhat at the end of the
long term on Saturday and Sunday. The ECMWF has a more wrapped up
system for Saturday, whereas the GFS has a weaker surface trough. On
Sunday the ECMWF deepens a strong low in the plains lifting it into
the Western Great Lakes. The GFS is weaker and flatter with the
system. Like the GFS more here given its track record lately and the
zonal flow in place ahead of it.

Why of freaking course there will be the token Holiday Grinch Storm and erase all the good we've finally had again in a Dec. Should of stayed in bed and just pissed it because who gets up to go to bathroom and doesn't do a quick 0Z check of models and forum.  The joys of being a snow nut, and also finally buying your first snowmobile living in SE WI.  

Last storm looked like a cutter at first..somehow avoided..  sigh. still time to change, or move 300 miles north for the winter... I am off, anybody in the UP want a roommate for the winter?  lol

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Its been a fantastic start to winter here...but all along this was forecast to be a volatile, up and down winter. We could be dealing with this for the next 3-4 months (lots of snowstorms, lots of meltdowns, etc).

Nothing pretty about this, granted its 160 hours out so take with a grain of salt.  Does anyone know what the ECMWF is showing?

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

8 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Why of freaking course there will be the token Holiday Grinch Storm and erase all the good we've finally had again in a Dec. Should of stayed in bed and just pissed it because who gets up to go to bathroom and doesn't do a quick 0Z check of models and forum.  The joys of being a snow nut, and also finally buying your first snowmobile living in SE WI.  

Last storm looked like a cutter at first..somehow avoided..  sigh. still time to change, or move 300 miles north for the winter... I am off, anybody in the UP want a roommate for the winter?  lol

I don't know if the UP will avoid the rain. The one is going over Duluth right now. To make matters worse, the storm a couple days after this looks to be the nail in the coffin on most of the midwest snowpack. Back to the beginning.. I'll probably park my sled until mid January now.

Both 12z GFS and 12z GGEM take next weeks storm through the upper Great Lakes translating to warmth and rain for most of us in the south.  

Its a viable solution especially with the lack of blocking in place (+NAO/AO/EPO/WPO) and SE ridge, but it all comes down to timing. The strength of the HP in Western Canada and Quebec will play a key role in that, as well as the strength of the SE ridge. 

Lets see! 

Just now, Snowstorms said:

Both 12z GFS and 12z GGEM take next weeks storm through the upper Great Lakes translating to warmth and rain for most of us in the south.  

Its a viable solution especially with the lack of blocking in place (+NAO/AO/EPO/WPO) and SE ridge, but it all comes down to timing. The strength of the HP in Western Canada and Quebec will play a key role in that, as well as the strength of the SE ridge. 

Lets see! 

I'd be happy with a 250 mile SE shift.

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'd be happy with a 250 mile SE shift.

I mean its a hostile pattern especially with the +AO/NAO dominating the Atlantic and the more weaker +EPO and -PNA in the Pacific. You got lack of blocking on both sides, so a warmer solution IMO seems more plausible, given the situation were in. I could be wrong, but with the type of pattern in place, it only seems more fit. 

Lets see! 

You definitely can't rule out the Plains/cutter in this regime, but one thing that seems to have been happening multiple times at this range is for the models to show something going way west, only to end up being weaker/sheared out/farther south by the time it gets here.  One of these times It's not going to work, but it wasn't that long ago that we were seeing some pretty favorable runs for a lot of this region.

20 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You definitely can't rule out the Plains/cutter in this regime, but one thing that seems to have been happening multiple times at this range is for the models to show something going way west, only to end up being weaker/sheared out/farther south by the time it gets here.  One of these times It's not going to work, but it wasn't that long ago that we were seeing some pretty favorable runs for a lot of this region.

This.  Kind of waiting for that to happen yet again, but like you said, one of these times...

Archived