Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, csnavywx said:

Euro, GFS and GEM agree on a storm at that range. Timing and strength differ, but the general setup of a strong cA/mT boundary with a wide open Gulf and plenty of in-situ and advected frigid air around will make for an interesting scenario. Definitely going to be keeping my eye on this one. Ripe for an ice event.

Enjoy your posts csnavywx - wish this forum software had a 'like' button.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, and the low level thermal advection on the GFS/ECMWF is pretty nuts as a result.

The baroclinicy at 850 is pretty nuts on the Euro as well.  +18C in southwest KS, vs -8C in northwest KS @144hrs.  Would make for one hell of a blue norther.  Dodge City goes from 66 to 22 between 6pm and midnight lol.  

Without a doubt, next weekend's storm is certainly going to be a behemoth.

It will be unfortunate though if it destroys the snow many areas have now as we head into Christmas, because it's probably going to completely work over the atmosphere and suppress additional storms for some time in its wake. 

4 hours ago, snowlover2 said:

6z GFS has a 2 wave storm now. First heads north through the lakes then a second farther south that tracks through TN and WV. Big hit for S IL, most of IN and most of Ohio except extreme southern part.

Yea it would be snow to heavy rain followed by a snow storm.  I can't even begin to analog that scenario.   Our best hope is that nothing winds up at all and instead we keep a pos tilted trough with an entrenched cold high to the north and we end up with one or more waves.

It seems current trends in the MR to LR  have been to see these wound up storm scenarios fall apart and become shadows of their previously modeled-selves in the short term.   That doesn't mean a weak storm will automatically take a favorable more southern track, (especially with a se ridge acting like a teenage boy experimenting with steroids), but it's the best hope we have.  (see ukie)

Chances are growing further for a reprieve in the current pattern around December 22-24 and beyond. How long it lasts is questionable, but this would be a drastic change from the current Aleutian Ridge/-EPO pattern to an Aleutian Low/+EPO pattern.

4indices.png

The ensembles show this breakdown nicely as the SE ridge builds and the cold air retreats towards far northern Canada and Alaska. Looks like a warm end to the month is on tap. A +EPO/WPO, -PNA, +NAO and +AO is a winter lovers nightmare. Such a similar occurrence (breakdown) happened in the notorious 07-08 winter lasting through the better part of January. 

Lets see! 

8 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Chances are growing further for a reprieve in the current pattern around December 22-24 and beyond. How long it lasts is questionable, but this would be a drastic change from the current Aleutian Ridge/-EPO pattern to an Aleutian Low/+EPO pattern.

4indices.png

The ensembles show this breakdown nicely as the SE ridge builds and the cold air retreats towards far northern Canada and Alaska. Looks like a warm end to the month is on tap. A +EPO/WPO, -PNA, +NAO and +AO is a winter lovers nightmare. Such a similar occurrence (breakdown) happened in the notorious 07-08 winter lasting through the better part of January. 

Lets see! 

Recall, though, that 2007-2008 was a great year for snowfall in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

Let's just hope we don't get a flip similar to 1989-1990.

Latest Euro weeklies seem to agree with the pattern breakdown or relaxation as the EPO and WPO both go positive. 

Positive anomalies for the most part from around Christmas time till mid January. Now even though the accuracy rate is low beyond Week 2-3, they do show the Aleutian Ridge reestablishing itself and some ridging around Greenland near Mid January. 

Now that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be warm throughout. Storm track is still active through our region, so its just a matter of having enough cold air in the area for frozen precipitation. However, any cold shot that does present itself maybe transient. The coldest anomalies shift west towards Western North America for the time being.  

Lets see! 

Guess I should have read before posting and I'd have read Snowstorms answer to my beating around the bush Grinch visiting fears.

O well.  Off to a great start to winter especially having a sauna body of water to my east.  07/08 had some great meltdowns and I'd do it all over again.

1 minute ago, IWXwx said:

I wasn't going to say anything and jinx it, but the cat's out of the bag.

Let's wait and see some consistency on the next few runs. If this does turn into anything we'll have to see the extent the low intensifies and how much cold air there is to work with.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Decent clipper type system showing up for midweek.  Actually looks more like a Pacific system, so it may not be so starved for moisture.

SE Ridge also flexing its muscles as well. Doesn't seem like it will be anything significant, however vort maps argue against that. ECMWF also has something around this time-frame as does the GGEM. As it stands now, would be a 2-4" type event on the colder side of the system.

Edit: A bit further out, but tremendous amounts of energy and strong jet-streak feeding moisture to a potential system around the 24th in the Gulf. Looks something worth watching over the next few days.

17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Decent clipper type system showing up for midweek.  Actually looks more like a Pacific system, so it may not be so starved for moisture.

This morning's GFS doesn't do anything to buoy my hopes for this quasi clipper. I was hoping to see it do a little more digging. Still a producer for Northern MI and our ON posters.

The end of the NAM run shows a similar track, but does carry much more precip with it, throwing some down our way. Is it being its usual overjuiced self or is it picking up on more Pacific moisture transport?

Archived