Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

18z GFS triples down again on the NW NY snowfall...almost 3.5 inches of QPF all snow. I am having trouble envisioning that, but I'm becoming more intrigued with each model run. Euro is nowhere close to this amount though, so I stay skeptical until more evidence comes in:

Nov19_18z_GFS_2016.png

I don't understand it that's NW of the true elevated terrain

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Look at the cloud fraction products .  inflow from Bermuda up around Nova Scotia over the top and back around developing an explosive CCB. Impressive look but IDK if it's that dynamic 

There will be a lot of snow up there. I'm just like everyone else in questioning that excessive QPF Monday morning over the St Lawrence valley. The TROWAL later tomorrow is probably real.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

There will be a lot of snow up there. I'm just like everyone else in questioning that excessive QPF Monday morning over the St Lawrence valley. The TROWAL later tomorrow is probably real.

Tricky situations with such a deep dynamic system .  WRF suite is crazy in SVT and has multiple rounds of Squalls pretty much everywhere .  I am psyched to see how this evolves. As you know one of my favorite setups, not IMBY but in the NE. I expect some surprises like maybe NW CT, your area too. Uninformed Peeps after today especially  are going to head to work Monday AM with a dumbfounded look

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Tricky situations with such a deep dynamic system .  WRF suite is crazy in SVT and has multiple rounds of Squalls pretty much everywhere .  I am psyched to see how this evolves. As you know one of my favorite setups, not IMBY but in the NE. I expect some surprises like maybe NW CT, your area too. Uninformed Peeps after today especially  are going to head to work Monday AM with a dumbfounded look

I like the west slopes of the Berks and SVT in this event more than usual.  The location of the surface low and closed mid-level lows are very favorable for them.  Its a little too SE for my liking of a real high end event up here (I still like 8-14" for the ski resort though by Tuesday 12z) as our climo best location is near FVE instead of just north of Jay Peak.  But that puts SVT and the Berks in some real good cyclonic deep layer NW flow...and we get into it later on as the whole system lifts northeast.  So our best snows may come quite a bit later, like Monday night could be surprisingly good up here after a slow start.

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Its interesting because early on the QPF matches where I think it would be.  Its later on that the GFS rips out like 12 hours of 1"/hr snows over the St Lawrence Valley.

Here's a 12 hour period from 18z Sunday through 6z Monday...this stuff looks pretty decent but man that's a moist TROWAL zone.

Watertown/ART and Tug Hill area gets like 1.5" QPF in 12 hours as snow.  That should be interesting to watch. 

Also, one can see how the low pressure location puts SVT in the cross-hairs for a good orographic event...some model runs like 24-36 hours ago were a little more NE and put us into the sweet spot which is how the high-end events happen.  We still will get ripped for a while but that low location is a little less favorable as it then has to migrate NE and weakens a bit before we get into the best upslope.

gfs_pr6_slp_t850_neng_6.png

gfs_pr6_slp_t850_neng_7.png

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

HRRR the Mastiff!

IMG_20161119_211618.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why the worry ? j/k I expect surprises 

Surprises are the best part, as long as they are good. That is why I was posting in the banter on the conditions in northeast MD and DE. It wasn't suppose to be 73 to 36 with sleet and snow that quickly. Sitting here in central Jersey 45 with no precipitation, getting windy though

Both 00z GFS and 4-km NAM are going 12" or so around PSF, so the suspense builds. This looks to be one of those rare setups where the stars align perfectly and we get a long-lasting, warning-level upslope dump down here. Even if half of those amounts verified, I'd be impressed. It's much tougher to get significant snows of this nature down here than it is up by PF since our topographic barrier isn't as high.

The last time we had a warning level upslope event was on 1/13/12 when we had 9" behind an arctic front after a SWFE.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Damaging winds and winter weather headlines for the region 5 days out? Yeah it deserves that. Its hitting areas that are pronged to get snow. The forcing was always best in western areas. I don't see a big change. 

He didn't either , I see nothing wrong with this 

Could be contending with winter weather hazards in the form of snow.
Higher confidence over N/W portions of CT and MA at this time. As to
damaging winds, hazards seem more likely given the system undergoing
occlusion beneath a negative-tilted trough, drawing down colder air
rearward allowing for steep lapse rates possibly as high as H5-7.
Would be looking at all of S New England with regards to impact

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Damaging winds and winter weather headlines for the region 5 days out? Yeah it deserves that. Its hitting areas that are pronged to get snow. The forcing was always best in western areas. I don't see a big change. 

NYC and southern NJ were not forecast to get snow, we even have accumulations on the NJ shore

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

NYC and southern NJ were not forecast to get snow, we even have accumulations on the NJ shore

I'm just speaking up here though. The hi res got more bullish down there yesterday. But the forcing was always better there. However this looks a bit better down there from what I saw yesterday. I Have not looked since. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm just speaking up here though. The hi res got more bullish down there yesterday. But the forcing was always better there. However this looks a bit better down there from what I saw yesterday. I Have not looked since. 

yes they did, however they were ignored by most

sitting right at freezing temp and DP, nice solid coating on everything, and people laughedat me yesterday when i said don't be surprised if theres a couple/few inches of snow tomorrow. I need 2" to equal a fifth of my total from last year, which was an all time low, at least as far back as I found records, next closest was I believe 32-33, without looking it up, but I beat the low by a mile...off to good start this year.

Does anyone know if where the rain/snow line is up in GC?  I'm in the WWA, but I can't see 2-6" near my hood--that would need to be at places with elevation.  Lower level temps are not bad though, 33* at the Pit after having dipped a bit lower earlier.

Bummed I'm missing the event thought--the winds sure look impressive.

Archived