• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

Ginx snewx

Models indicate an anomalous ULL with instability slides over or south of New England, kicking off potentially significant up slope snows in the Berkshires and Greens with LES and instability windex type snow Squalls possible .  A reinforcing cold frontal passage Monday night could trigger some light accumulation snow in the Monads ORH hills as far south as the hills in NCCT. Still 4-5 days out but as experience has shown us, these sub 528 ULLS can offer some surprises. At minimum should provide a good kick to ski areas with a nice window of snowmaking heading into TDAY when another snow threat is possible 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike the October system where we had great radiational cooling the night before and cold air wedged into the CT valley and the east slopes of the berkshires, this upcoming system should favor the upslope regions, although I wouldn't rule out some flakes in my hood. We do better in the valley when we are trying to dislodge cold air rather than advect it in from the top down and get rain to change to snow. Congrats ski country and perhaps SNE hilltops is  probably the bottom line and we all get to at least look and feel like November again.  

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Congrats PF on the 12-18 on the GFS next week through Saturday 

Wow dude that 12z GFS is an upslope white dream.

This is just the 24 hour QPF, not storm total...from 6z Mon through 6z Tue...there's more before and after this too.  

IMG_3725.PNG

And snow through Wednesday evening before the Thanksgiving event.

IMG_3726.PNG

21 minutes ago, alex said:

How about the Whites? I take it from what I see we'll get a good amount too... which is great, except for my cabin which we just received the logs for, aaaaah!

Still room for this to move East and put better NW flow moisture into your area.  Flow is more westerly over the Whites with more NW flow as you move into NNY.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

12z ECM is on-board.  Big snow event for NNY and likely into the upslope areas on VT.

Yeah, just took a look at the ECMWF – that’s definitely a shot in the arm for the potential through the weekend and into next week.  It was bit of a slow start, but maps are starting to appear in here and you can see the interest increasing with the past several messages.  It should be fun to see what this afternoon’s BTV AFD has to say.

13 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, just took a look at the ECMWF – that’s definitely a shot in the arm for the potential through the weekend and into next week.  It was bit of a slow start, but maps are starting to appear in here and you can see the interest increasing with the past several messages.  It should be fun to see what this afternoon’s BTV AFD has to say.

I am 2-2 in threads, hope this system gets you guys rocking

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Man going to be an epic week for the Greens. Practically perfect up slope setup with high ratios kicking in, perhaps 2 feet at the stake if not more by day 7.

Dude the latest ECM and GFS are textbook.

Thats impressive and fits the criteria of 12-18 hours of steady state moisture, flow, and orographic lift for a heavy upslope snow event.

Interior SNE residents probably see their yards white by Monday morning, some small accumulations are possible. Arctic type air with squalls at any point. Winds will be gusting to near 40 mph with winds chills in the upper teens to mid 20s for many, get out the woolies and fleece feety pajamas with the velcro dumper in the back. Windchill Monday AM

Untitled.png

It can only go downhill from here as that's the textbook stuff for duration (high end event is 18 hours or more), moisture, 30-50kts at summit level perfectly out of the NW, uniformed deep layer NW flow, maritime moisture wrapping around with decent PWATs before drier air comes in on Tuesday afternoon/night.

The current GFS and EURO models do hit most of the checkpoints on the "high end event" status per past studies (I think it was CSTAR?).

That Mansfield to Jay Peak stretch does look primed for 12"+ at this point over the duration.

gfs_tprecip_neng_20.png

I expect just some scattered snow showers east of the Berkshires...no accumulation. Maybe someone will get lucky in a rogue streamer, but not locking that in.

It looks really classic for a large scale upslope though for like the entire Green spine and into the west slopes of Berks and Taconics.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Be interesting to see totals even outside the picnic tables...has warning criteria potential for the mountain valley towns around the Spine too. 

Yeah probably good spill over into Stowe itself with the strong winds.  How are the soundings? There might be a little warm air (relatively speaking) above 800 with the TROWAL wrapping around. 

Archived