Welcome to American Weather
  • Announcements

• Wow

SUBSCRIPTION DRIVE 2017   01/09/2017

As you may have noticed, many of you are receiving renewal notices for subscriptions.  Over the past year we have upgraded our board software and one of our dedicated servers to help speed things up.  Plans for this year are to upgrade further to make everything even faster and more reliable. If we meet our goal of $10,000 in subscription sales this winter, all members with a Super ($50) subscription or higher will receive a free American Weather T-shirt.  Additional details will follow if we make our goal!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PrinceFrederickWx

Mid-Atlantic winter 2016-17 snowfall contest

112 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2016 at 9:49 AM, mappy said:

BWI: 24.8"
DCA: 15.2"
IAD: 32.6"
RIC: 10.1"

Tiebreaker: +0.5

I think we could still do it. Just need one good storm. 

On 11/8/2016 at 0:58 PM, EastCoast NPZ said:

BWI:   13.7"

DCA:   9.1"

IAD:    10.4"

RIC:     6.5"

OKV:   3.3"

Tiebreaker:    +3.1F

Dud incoming!  Eastern folks partially-saved by the edge of a Miller B.  Western folks remain high and (mostly) dry.

I knew my bullish, enthusiastic nature would someday get me in trouble.  Proof positive that you can never, EVER be bearish enough in these parts.

59 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I knew my bullish, enthusiastic nature would someday get me in trouble.  Proof positive that you can never, EVER be bearish enough in these parts.

We all suck- now Mercurial is gonna run the table by basically doing a price is right $1 bid.

9 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Can I get an estimate of when this is supposed to start? Thanks.

Currently thinking that the best snowfall opportunities will be Jan 27-28, Feb 9-10 and Feb 24-26. The pattern is not vastly different from what I was expecting but cold air is being wasted on the inter-mountain west (giving me snow) and so the flow is not troughing far enough east yet, it's not like a raging torch pattern but when cold comes it has nothing to fight against in such a low-amplitude wave pattern, developments at present are vaguely encouraging (very nice storm potential for se VA) but I wouldn't look for much to happen through mid-January until we get a bit of height building in the eastern arctic and Greenland. 

Thus I remain optimistic about a good snowfall total eventually, the prime period is being pushed back into the best six weeks in climatological terms (late January to early March) for east coast snowfall. 

On December 1, 2016 at 6:39 PM, PaEasternWX said:

Update: DCA: 9.5

BWI: 12.5

IAD: 14.5

RIC: 5.5

Tiebreaker: +2.3

re: CanSIPS

Wow and I thought I was being conservative. Good thing i downgraded from original totals.

8 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Currently thinking that the best snowfall opportunities will be Jan 27-28, Feb 9-10 and Feb 24-26. The pattern is not vastly different from what I was expecting but cold air is being wasted on the inter-mountain west (giving me snow) and so the flow is not troughing far enough east yet, it's not like a raging torch pattern but when cold comes it has nothing to fight against in such a low-amplitude wave pattern, developments at present are vaguely encouraging (very nice storm potential for se VA) but I wouldn't look for much to happen through mid-January until we get a bit of height building in the eastern arctic and Greenland. 

Thus I remain optimistic about a good snowfall total eventually, the prime period is being pushed back into the best six weeks in climatological terms (late January to early March) for east coast snowfall. 

Thanks for the write up. I suppose it's not completely impossible- 1987 and 1966 are the first that come to mind for epic winters that were a complete shutout until late January, and then BOOM! I'm feeling pessimistic right now but we'll see.

Seasonal totals so far:

BWI: 0.7"
DCA: 0.4"
IAD: 0.7"
RIC: 7.1"

Current leaderboard:

Mercurial: 8.5
Stormpc: 28.0
Eastcoast NPZ: 32.0
BristowWx: 32.8
MN Transplant: 33.4

Mercurial is the current leader. Stormpc is in a good spot since he went very big on RIC but well below average on all the others.

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Signature not updating so...

2016-2017 Snow

12/04/16 - T of Sleet

12/06/16 - T of Sleet

12/16/16 - T of Snow/Sleet

12/16/16 - ~.1 Ice

1/07/17 - 1.3" Snow

I think you meant to type this in the snow totals thread, not the snowfall contest.

11 hours ago, PaEasternWX said:

How am I currently doing:rolleyes:

You are currently in 8th place with a departure of 36.3

If BWI, DCA and IAD get to about 4" or more it will start being really close.

By the way, a blowout winter doesn't necessarily guarantee a Roger Smith win- the four biggest weenies all did their biggest weenie-ing at different airports.

36 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

You are currently in 8th place with a departure of 36.3

If BWI, DCA and IAD get to about 4" or more it will start being really close.

By the way, a blowout winter doesn't necessarily guarantee a Roger Smith win- the four biggest weenies all did their biggest weenie-ing at different airports.

Out of how many people?

1 hour ago, PaEasternWX said:

8th place out of 52 not bad. Top 15%

There's only two prizes: first place gets a trophy, second place gets a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired. :lol:

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

There's only two prizes: first place gets a trophy, second place gets a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired. :lol:

Careful, that is almost 'triggerable'........ ;)