Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

Does anyone have the verification stats on the CMC? I feel like it is always way off.

It seemed pretty reliable last year. So so this year. It doesn't have the 2 systems merging. Still time to come together. If the Euro looks like this then we may be looking at an off the coast. TWC may be jinxing everyone by hyping this to the point it won't happen. Too many weenies I guess.

12 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Does anyone have the verification stats on the CMC? I feel like it is always way off.

It's 500mb scores are probably not to far off from verification scores of GFS but anecdotally if we got half the snow the CMC showed we would have a blockbuster winter most years lol.

R

That being said I look at it like this, if it agrees with other guidance it adds to the consensus but if its an outlier take it with a grain of salt but I guess you could say that about any model, I just give more weight to Euro and GFS.

41 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

It's 500mb scores are probably not to far off from verification scores of GFS but anecdotally if we got half the snow the CMC showed we would have a blockbuster winter most years lol.

R

That being said I look at it like this, if it agrees with other guidance it adds to the consensus but if its an outlier take it with a grain of salt but I guess you could say that about any model, I just give more weight to Euro and GFS.

I'm not worried about the Canadian unless other models follow it.  It does tend to go off on its own a lot, though.

You can probably scrap the GFS run so I'm not paying much attention to it, but I think it is always fair to remain concerned that this storm is going to be too far East for us.  We need a stronger southern influence and a quicker phase.  For now I'll hug the UK and hope it remains consistent.

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Euro looks closer to the coast this run

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 1.30.08 PM.png

Definitely closer but we only get like .4 of qpf. Honestly this just smells of 2014 to me. Where it hugs the coast but not enough to slam us. We will have to see what trends occur but no one should get their hopes up. I certainly have conceded especially after shoveling 3 inches of heavy slop. So we take the good with the bad, eventually we will get our storm but I just don't see warning level snow. 

Archived