Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

56 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Even though this was always going to be a rain event, it's still sad seeing that nice moisture feed being wasted.

I agree, what could have been even if we only had an average antecedent air mass in place ahead of this beast... I'm not expecting anything other than maybe a few wet flakes to mix in...

27 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

Nothing new honestly for our area. This looks like something that would occur in early December not January. 

I was thinking this is more like an early to mid April setup, you get one of those Spring time cutoffs but just a bit too late in the season for anything meaningful in terms of snow.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most disappointing in a long time. Beingfringed is one thing, but seeing a perfect track that we never get and it being about 10 degrees too warm is the worst.

We'd all be pushing a foot to two feet with this set up with any cold air, but instead are getting 1-2 inches of rain.

i mean we are in a freaking deform band and it is pouring rain!

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Most disappointing in a long time. Beingfringed is one thing, but seeing a perfect track that we never get and it being about 10 degrees too warm is the worst.

We'd all be pushing a foot to two feet with this set up with any cold air, but instead are getting 1-2 inches of rain.

I'm over this hobby to be honest. I'll keep up to date but my euro is about to be up and tracking rain is not fun at all. We haven't had a good snowstorm in 7 years and it's just become time consuming. 

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I tried to not look at the radar... but couldn't help it, its like self torture.. but man the moisture transport is incredible.. would have been an epic snow storm for sure.

The other thing that really stings is all the people saying "Wow imagine if it were snow.. etc etc.." Now usually when it rains like this in Jan, we are in the warm sector of a storm and there is no chance in that given synoptic setup the precip could have been snow so its not really bothersome to hear it and only further illustrates the misunderstanding the general public has about weather, but this storm could have very easily been snow with this track, some cold air in place and a strong high to the north funneling in cold air and we are money. The fact that the dynamics are almost overcoming a putrid air mass only adds insult in injury at this point. Oh well, we will all be back at it for the next storm, like moths to the flame.

BTW, got a slushy coating on the deck now.

Just now, snowsux said:

Howdy yinzers. I've been lurking here for some time now, but figured the time was nigh for me to open an account. I'm glad this forum has a regional discussion board for us. I'm glad to be here, and I love following the weather during the winter months. Just figured I'd say hello!

Welcome, I see you in the mid Atlantic forum. Did you just recently moved or something. 

1 minute ago, Ryd10 said:

Oh nvm just reread your post. There's a guy in another section with the same name. 

2 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

Oh nvm just reread your post. There's a guy in another section with the same name. 

Not me. I wonder if he bogarted my screen name at some point. I've used this handle on another forum for years and years.

7 minutes ago, snowsux said:

Howdy yinzers. I've been lurking here for some time now, but figured the time was nigh for me to open an account. I'm glad this forum has a regional discussion board for us. I'm glad to be here, and I love following the weather during the winter months. Just figured I'd say hello!

Welcome! We are glad to have you.

3 minutes ago, snowsux said:

Ah, the Tarentum side. Yeah, I'm a paving contractor and I work around there a good bit. Me and my guys are always eating at Bob's Subs right down the street from there.

Yeah, Bobs is about 3-4 minutes from me. I'll have to keep the paving thing in mind, we have a gravel driveway and might want to get it paved at some point but probably need to put down a new base of gravel first.

Anyways, the lights from the Giant Eagle parking lot are great when its snowing like crazy out, love watching snow fall at night.

11 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Don't worry guys. We'll get that cold air over the weekend when we have nothing but chances of snow showers. Why do we keep doing this to ourselves?

Because one of these days we will finally get a good storm and it will be rewarding after tracking it for 5 days and going through the model chaos. We are seriously due at this point and we are in just a bad streak of terrible luck. Every storm just misses us. 2010 got me interested in weather and ever since then its been nothing but heartbreak. Did anyone here actually get to track that storm. The last minute NAM shift 

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, Bobs is about 3-4 minutes from me. I'll have to keep the paving thing in mind, we have a gravel driveway and might want to get it paved at some point but probably need to put down a new base of gravel first.

Anyways, the lights from the Giant Eagle parking lot are great when its snowing like crazy out, love watching snow fall at night.

I've been doing a lot of patching during the winter months in recent years, and during the warm season I'm constantly spraying sealer. I used to seal and stripe that whole complex where the King's Restaurant is at over on Leechburg road every few years, but it's been a while since I've done it. That thing was always a headache with the traffic. As the screen name implies I'm not a huge fan of winter, mainly because of my industry and how it slows down during the winter months since I'm a bit of a workaholic. At least I never dove into the plowing thing though. I'd be pulling my hair out right about now if I had.   

Archived