Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ryd10 said:

A 8-10 event would salvage it for me personally. Just one good event. 

I share the same sentiment - probably as most do on here. 

It has just been very frustrating to say the least. There is still time but its hard to not find yourself down a little with what winter has presented thus far.

1 hour ago, colonel717 said:

Well, CMC and EURO are both showing cutters at this point also. Tight clustering on GEFS in Michigan for cutter,  BSR also signals potential cutter in this timeframe. 

post-27372-1485453138_thumb.png

I'm not impressed with a multi-model consensus at day 10. I've seen all to many times where at half that lead time a multi-model consensus shifts. If it were a massive blizzard we would all be writing it off, no reason to fully buy into a cutter either. You could argue seasonal trend, but if we actually have some blocking that at least gives us a better shot than previous storms this year. I'm not calling for a storm or anything, just pointing out that writing the time period off already is a bit premature.

11 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I'm not impressed with a multi-model consensus at day 10. I've seen all to many times where at half that lead time a multi-model consensus shifts. If it were a massive blizzard we would all be writing it off, no reason to fully buy into a cutter either. You could argue seasonal trend, but if we actually have some blocking that at least gives us a better shot than previous storms this year. I'm not calling for a storm or anything, just pointing out that writing the time period off already is a bit premature.

I agree completely. If any of these clipper systems get stronger or shift North or south over the coming week it will affect the trajectory of this storm anyway. Early to mid Feb storms have been good to us in the past. At least we have that going for us.

4 hours ago, SteelCity08 said:

Nothing beats lake effect rain showers in January, miserable.

Tell me about it! I was thinking the same thing, we wasted some decent precip on rain... This winter can't even get lake effect right.. :facepalm:

At least its switched over now.. but probably won't see much until next disturbance moves through tomorrow.

6 hours ago, north pgh said:

I agree completely. If any of these clipper systems get stronger or shift North or south over the coming week it will affect the trajectory of this storm anyway. Early to mid Feb storms have been good to us in the past. At least we have that going for us.

Case and point, 18z GFS trended stronger with the clipper next week, now showing possible 2-4, at least until 00z. :) These NS shortwaves will be hard to pinpoint until within 3-4 days anyways.

gfs_asnow24_us_21.png

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1133 AM EST FRI JAN 27 2017

PAZ020-021-023-073-074-271715-
Westmoreland Ridges-Westmoreland-Beaver-Allegheny-Indiana-
1133 AM EST FRI JAN 27 2017

...SNOW SHOWERs WIth lower visibility wiLL AFFECT SOUTHERN
BEAVER...SOUTHWESTERN INDIANA...CENTRAL ALLEGHENY AND CENTRAL
WESTMORELAND COUNTIES...

At 1130 AM EST, snow showers were located along a line extending
from Shaler Township to 7 miles northwest of Westmont. Movement was
east at 20 mph.

Locations impacted include...
Pittsburgh...                     Penn Hills...
Ross Township...                  McCandless Township...
Monroeville...                    Moon Township...
Franklin Park...                  Shaler Township...
Plum...                           West Mifflin...
North Side Pittsburgh...          Murrysville...

This includes the following highways...
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 48 and 63.

Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 63 and 69.

Parkway North between mile markers 1 and 11.

Use caution if you must travel through these snow showers. Rapid
changes in visibility and road conditions are likely.

LAT...LON 4029 7906 4038 7985 4061 8044 4046 7914
      4037 7899
TIME...MOT...LOC 1630Z 120DEG 19KT 4053 7994 4042 7902

$$

2 hours ago, north pgh said:

Nice batch of moderate snow moving over me right now. 1/2 mile visibility and big fluffy flakes. It looks like it it shifting southeastward Hopefully the rest of you can get in on this. Heaviest snow I have seen in a while.

About 9:45 this morning we had a pretty solid band move through. I'd say heaviest snow I have witnessed all season albeit breift only lasting about 5-6 minutes before transitioning back to moderate / light but steady for awhile. I'd say I've got about an inch on the ground, but haven't officially measured.

Another decen band moving in now, winds picking up and big flakes pouring down. Nice to see it snow...

I'm starting to wonder if this is really gonna be "the year" where the Pittsburgh area truly winds up with a severe snowfall deficit. I was born in '78, so we've only had one year where we've had under 20" for the season, and that was '90-'91. I don't really remember that winter though. Since then we've had a handful of years where our measurable snow was in the 20"-30" range for the season. Hell, even in '11-'12 we managed to eek out 36 inches.

59 minutes ago, snowsux said:

I'm starting to wonder if this is really gonna be "the year" where the Pittsburgh area truly winds up with a severe snowfall deficit. I was born in '78, so we've only had one year where we've had under 20" for the season, and that was '90-'91. I don't really remember that winter though. Since then we've had a handful of years where our measurable snow was in the 20"-30" range for the season. Hell, even in '11-'12 we managed to eek out 36 inches.

I think we nickel and dime our way to 20 inches pretty easily.  Only need about 8 inches or so.   Would not be surprised if we don't make 30 inches. Would bet against it.  Without miracle 20+ inch storm we aren't reaching our avg.

28 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

I think we nickel and dime our way to 20 inches pretty easily.  Only need about 8 inches or so.   Would not be surprised if we don't make 30 inches. Would bet against it.  Without miracle 20+ inch storm we aren't reaching our avg.

Back in the winter of 2011-2012, I was shocked when I saw our final totals. I was out of town all of December and January, but I spent February here and it didn't feel like we accumulated nearly as much snow as we "officially" received that year for that month.

52 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Based on what I've read the seasonal average in Morgantown is 27.6" per year (taken over the last 30 years).

That's crazy. You'd think you'd get more being up in the mountains like that. My ex-wife's family had a place near Deep Creek, MD and they just got annihilated with snow every year without fail. 80-90 inches in a season was nothing for them up there. I always thought it was ironic how well that area handled winter too. Especially in terms of cleanup. By early May, you never would've thought there was 2 feet of snow on the ground there 50-60 days prior. Everything was clean as a whistle. Meanwhile down here in the Pittsburgh  region, it looks like God turned a giant dumpster upside-down in the sky by the end of every winter season. It gets worse depending on how much of a snowpack we've got, and the man-made remnants of winter are visible year-round here both from the trash, as well as the absurd amount of salt/brine/whatever that the local road crews put down. Nothing is more irritating to me than seeing a local plow truck out salting the roads in the beginning of April when it's a chilly rain with no threat of temperatures dropping below freezing, and it happens around here every year.

9 minutes ago, Mailman said:

18z GFS giving us something to track for the next 10 days.  At least I hope it lasts that long. 12z Euro had something in that timeframe, too.  

Let the fun begin.

Yes I new things would change. The Feb 6th storm was a lake cutter 2 days ago and today it is off the Carolina coast. Still plenty of time to move back and forth plus some clipper systems in the meantime. Should be a better next couple weeks for snow lovers.

29 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Yes I new things would change. The Feb 6th storm was a lake cutter 2 days ago and today it is off the Carolina coast. Still plenty of time to move back and forth plus some clipper systems in the meantime. Should be a better next couple weeks for snow lovers.

Yea, I kinda figured something would pop up in this time frame as well. The conditions will be perfect for it. Even the GFS begins to look a little torchy after this period though.

Archived