Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

The fact that the models are starting to move northwest is only upsetting me. Just getting closer to only miss us. Not to mention giving the east coast a another decent storm. Forgive me for being a little jealous. I'm ready for a thumper.

Like I said we are due. We haven't had a good storm in 6 or 7 years now. Eventually something has to work out for us. 

12 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

The fact that the models are starting to move northwest is only upsetting me. Just getting closer to only miss us. Not to mention giving the east coast a another decent storm. Forgive me for being a little jealous. I'm ready for a thumper.

I'll never begrudge anyone for getting a good snow, but it does suck when it seems like we are always in the wrong place for a good storm.

2 hours ago, north pgh said:

Just shoveled my nearly 2 inches of powder.

Looks like the weekend will be frigid and next week will be rainy :raining:. Model watching has not been too fun lately but at least I am getting plenty of sleep. :whistle:

Agreed, I don't think I stayed up more than once so far this winter, its easier to just loop through everything the next morning, if that's even worth it some days.... Maybe we get some front end snow before changing over to rain Tuesday.

Late next week also has a semi interesting situation developing, could be a nasty ice storm for somebody with a 1050 high pressing down. Its a pretty low probability thing as it relies on timing of the low with the high pressure, but if the ridge out in the Atlantic is weaker I'd think that would allow the storm to scoot east some and push the snow \ ice \ rain line south.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_32.png

10 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Agreed, I don't think I stayed up more than once so far this winter, its easier to just loop through everything the next morning, if that's even worth it some days.... Maybe we get some front end snow before changing over to rain Tuesday.

Late next week also has a semi interesting situation developing, could be a nasty ice storm for somebody with a 1050 high pressing down. Its a pretty low probability thing as it relies on timing of the low with the high pressure, but if the ridge out in the Atlantic is weaker I'd think that would allow the storm to scoot east some and push the snow \ ice \ rain line south.

I am usually up for the GFS run but not once have I went to bed wondering what the EURO would bring as I have in the past.  As bad as things have been, since the GFS lang range has been crap, I keep looking at CFS (and hoping) and the most show depth we have at any one time thru 2/7 is 1 inch. We dont even get fantasy snow storms pop up and disappear.  I keep looking for positives in the long range from anywhere I can look and don't see anything positive we can hang our hats on.  I just hope the Steelers make a long run in the playoffs so at least will have that.  And whats up with the Pens 8 day break, had no idea the NHL instituted a long break for each team this year. 

1 hour ago, Ryd10 said:

Is it time to panic yet. Every long range just goes to crap as soon as it pops up. Only thing we have going for us it is easier to snow in January/February rather than November/December. 

Teleconnections don't look good for much of the remainder of January either. AO, NAO, PNA, EPO, and WPO all forecasting positive right now. Not a good combination for January. Not giving up all hope, but the patterns looks warm right now.

31 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Teleconnections don't look good for much of the remainder of January either. AO, NAO, PNA, EPO, and WPO all forecasting positive right now. Not a good combination for January. Not giving up all hope, but the patterns looks warm right now.

I agree. Midatlantic may panic more than  us but it should be easier for us to score. 

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Might not mean much this far out, but the last 5 GFS runs have trended south with the higher snow amounts.

It would be nice for that strong of a HP to work in our favor for once

3 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

It takes until about week 3 on the Euro Weeklies to start to see a meaningful change, and by week 4 we have a +PNA, -EPO, -AO, +NAO which should yield a pattern with some chances, at least better than what we are heading into. Prior to that it looks like we get some shots of +PNA, which could help but we would likely have to luck into something. Hopefully the change keeps moving forward in time and maybe we can salvage early FEB. The storm next week is a long shot, and probably would be a mix of everything but at least for now its something to see how it develops and with the volatitlity of long range models this season who knows how things might look in a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Ryd10 said:

Well this subforum is gonna be dead for awhile. Forecast for the next week or two consists of Cutters. Enjoy the rain guys. 

We have chance for snow to ice, to rain Mon night into Tues.  Better than nothing...

Also will be watching major mid-west ice storm next weekend just in time for hopefully Steelers - KC game.  KC looks like could be also decent snow.  EURO is showing 3 inches of ice for some places.  I'll pass on that and take rain.

RYD, what are you seeing regarding Euro next week

Quite a change from the op. The mean a little more favorable further south and the control has a heavy band through the MOV and OV....that's just snow though

12z Euro ens (all that matters is it supports the system.) That high strength that far out though

12z EPS CONTROL absolutely destroys the Ohio River with ice...

To bad we don't have even just a touch of -NAO for that storm next weekend, I'd think that would help keep that 1045 -1055 high from getting shoved out of the way as easily. We want a strung out system coming out in pieces, all at once it will cut. Either way if the strength of the high is accurate and a system does try to plow into it somebody is going to get on heck of an ice storm. With that return flow around the high in the Atlantic the gulf will be open for business so it could be a real moisture laden setup.

Archived