Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, blackngoldrules said:

We got lucky around here in the 90s. Don't forget December of 1992, The Blizzard of 93, and a lot of us got in on the Blizzard of 96.

Oh yeah, 1992/93 - 1995/96 was a mini golden age for the metro.

Officially 12/92 was 9.8" and 01/96 was 9.6", so I didn't include them. But like you said, most of us was were closer to a foot with both storms

The GFS 500mb vort map has advertised energy coming into Oregon around Thursday for a few runs now.

It will be interesting if the data forecast verifies for sampling, and just how strong that energy is once it reaches the midwest.

A 500 vort closing too soon could force a low to cut west, however too weak a vort, and not much develops. it's a balancing act.

11 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Now this is getting depressing.. Looking at the CFS, we get no more than snow showers the whole month of January. Basically no snow in midwest and eastern US except the lower mid-Atlantic

snod_anom.conus.png

Throw it in the garbage. That's all the CFS is usual for. These models can't even predict something a week a way let alone a whole month. 

1 hour ago, Ryd10 said:

Throw it in the garbage. That's all the CFS is usual for. These models can't even predict something a week a way let alone a whole month. 

I agree. I don't trust anything anymore that's more than 4 or 5 days away. That same map will probably show something totally different in a day or two....just like the long range GFS likes to show us fantasy storms more than a week out that rarely come to fruition.

1 hour ago, Ryd10 said:

It may be garbage but the G F S 12z also is a snow shutout through the whole run.  Point is at this point not looking good for snow this month.

37 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

It may be garbage but the G F S 12z also is a snow shutout through the whole run.  Point is at this point not looking good for snow this month.

Haha yeah starting to regret my subscription for wxbell. Just doesn't feel like it's gonna snow here. 

9 hours ago, colonel717 said:

NAM showing stronger 1st wave.  Gives us couple inches Thursday night.

I'm starting to think that might be the best shot at something... wave 2 is just to far South to hope for any meaningful change for us. Amazing that we go from cutters to a SC\NC storm. Although nothing is really showing up right now maybe we can score something on the heels of the cold relaxing. Admittedly it looks pretty bleak after our 5-6 day cold shot, but models seem to just perpetuate the existing pattern in the longer ranges so another flip to cold might be sooner than it currently appears. I'm hoping we can get a +PNA at some point.

Archived