Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We haven't been able to compete with the November or April cold either. My guess is that the climate has warmed so much since the late 1800's that our modern winters experience shorter duration cold and this shows more at the margins in Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr. But a warmer world holds more moisture necessary for bigger snowstorms than we experienced in the later 1800's. So we get amazing snowstorms without the crushing cold of the late 1800's. Could you imagine what modern heating bills would look like if we had the kind of cold that locked in on occasion from the fall into the spring.

Yes I completely agree and this beautifully explains why it hasn't affected January much at all.  I wonder how long that will last?

The heating bills being lower is the one positive! I remember reading in weather history texts that we used to have constant snowcover from November through April back then.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

A least we know that we can still get great quality snowstorms even with 40 degree winters. I am not exactly sure what that magic inflection point winter temperature is in order to see diminishing snowfall returns.

I think we have to look at areas further to our south to deduce the answer to that question.  My feeling is that when our temps warm to the point of where Norfolk is right now, we'll have big problems.

Another thing is that since January hasn't been affected nearly as much as the other months, we have a bit of room to play with- not much though.  Probably 20-30 years.  You can see how some of our bigger snowfalls are now shifting into January, and January 20th is becoming more like what February 10th used to be......

5 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

guess we have to wait for one of the favorite sons to start that thread lmao

In there defense the storms nearly 100hrs out still... no need for a storm threat yet since all we're gonna be discussing is hypotheticals and model runs ( which we already have a thread for model runs)

we should never have a thread over 72hrs... 

and personally I'm in favor of not starting storm threads AT ALL.. an OBS thread on the day of is all that's needed imo

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

In there defense the storms nearly 100hrs out still... no need for a storm threat yet since all we're gonna be discussing is hypotheticals and model runs ( which we already have a thread for model runs)

we should never have a thread over 72hrs... 

and personally I'm in favor of not starting storm threads AT ALL.. an OBS thread on the day of is all that's needed imo

you are wrong the storm is going to be a direct threat here beginning Monday 72 - 84 hours away - time for a thread - no excuses that model thread is a disaster with all the off topic reminiscing wishcasting and other banter.

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Do you ever stop??   Your thread was going to be unbidden before the 0z runs.  Now I'm going to let one of my favorites, maybe POS NAO to start the thread.

why didn't you email me to let me know that ? Then I would have never begun - honestly there has to be written rules about when a thread can be created - causes bad feeling when no explanation is given

The imby bias is overwhelming in the model thread. We know the posters in the interior are rooting on the gfs and the posters on the coast and the island are rooting for the euro. Smh both of their ensembles make the whole forum happy. Those are the goal posts it will fall somewhere in there

8 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Do you ever stop??   Your thread was going to be unbidden before the 0z runs.  Now I'm going to let one of my favorites, maybe POS NAO to start the thread.

Dude I have a lot of admiration for you, it's almost like these guys think you're getting paid to do this with all these demands they have lol.  And you do it for free.

10 minutes ago, Rjay said:

LMAO I was just going to tell him to change his name to POS NAO to be able to start a new thread.

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

This is true in all areas. Been to the doctor lately? A young one will be looking at a laptop during the entire visit, writing in notes, reading your scripts, and not even looking at you. They are reading your x rays, blood tests and scans before they even look at you. Old timers knew to look for physical signs on the actual patient's body.

I miss the old days when the good doctor would look you in the eye, give you a firm handshake, and tell you to soak in mineral water or drink some whiskey until you died of whatever was killing you. You never really expected him to help you but at least he wasn't preoccupied with any of that confounded life-saving technology. :)

30 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I miss the old days when the good doctor would look you in the eye, give you a firm handshake, and tell you to soak in mineral water or drink some whiskey until you died of whatever was killing you. You never really expected him to help you but at least he wasn't preoccupied with any of that confounded life-saving technology. :)

Actually nurses do most of the work today.

Our health system is majorly messed up, from out of control drug prices to malpractice being way up.  Thanks to the greed of the health "industry."

Just now, pazzo83 said:

I just want to let all of you know - if your storm-rooting interests do not coincide with mine, you are an awful person and should just leave the board forever.

Thanks!

Bragging rights on snow totals are important while sitting on a phone or computer inside a heated house, duh.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived