Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, uncle W said:

in recent years the only months with a record monthly minimum is August...50 is the lowest temperature ever record for August set first in 1885...then tied in 1965, 1976, 1982 and 1986...July 1st 1988 was 53 degrees...July 5th 1979 was 53 degrees...One degree above the record of 52 set in 1943...September 1963 hit 40 late in the month...39 is the all time record...October 1976 was 29 two days in a row...the record is 28 set in 1936...The other months have record lows that were not threatened...

I distinctly remember August 1986 50 degrees (40s on Long Island in August!)- it was an el nino and the first year I saw the Perseid Meteor Shower which is in August and the skies were as clear as I had ever seen them in the summer- not even a sign of haze.  That was the first and the best year for them, as in subsequent years the skies never got as great as they were that first year.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

I distinctly remember August 1986 50 degrees (40s on Long Island in August!)- it was an el nino and the first year I saw the Perseid Meteor Shower which is in August and the skies were as clear as I had ever seen them in the summer- not even a sign of haze.  That was the first and the best year for them, as in subsequent years the skies never got as great as they were that first year.

4th of July set a record low that year too

7 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I think it still made it into the 80s but was 55 in the morning. Doesn't sound that chilly but 50s in July now are unheard of

The only way it isn't going to get warm in July is if it's raining with an onshore wind, back in early July 1993 (I think it was the 2nd)- before the historic heatwave, we had a day that had something like a 66/62 split- it was raining all day with a NE wind.  Felt like a noreaster!

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

The only way it isn't going to get warm in July is if it's raining with an onshore wind, back in early July 1993 (I think it was the 2nd)- before the historic heatwave, we had a day that had something like a 66/62 split- it was raining all day with a NE wind.  Felt like a noreaster!

July 2012? 2013? had some very cool days towards the end of the month.  I think one day had some light rain, but the other stayed cloudy all day.  Both were in the low 60's here.

26 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

July 2012? 2013? had some very cool days towards the end of the month.  I think one day had some light rain, but the other stayed cloudy all day.  Both were in the low 60's here.

ha yes I remember I was wearing a sweater that day my BBQ was almost rained out!

Just now, Paragon said:

ha yes I remember I was wearing a sweater that day my BBQ was almost rained out!

Yeah had to break out the long sleeves for bike rides.  Very chilly, and pretty crazy when you think about it.  Low 60s at the end of July with no rain (here).

17 minutes ago, uncle W said:

July 4th 1978 was raining with temperatures in the high 50's...The next year was even colder...July 5th, 1979 had a max/min of 69/53 with Sunny skies...The only time I saw July temperatures under 70 with the Sun out...

Unc you talked about a possible hecs in march months ago care to explain what you saw? 

With as much as a 10% chance (bring on that convective cell!) of our seventh 20"+ snow event in just 21 years, we are turning what used to be a 3x/century occurrence into a 3x/decade event.   Our previous 15" to 20" snowstorms have been boosted up to 20"-28" it seems, by the mostly unspoken of consequence of global warming---the increase of precipitation in some mid latitude regions.   In the winters, even with fewer available cold enough days, average annual snowfall seems headed from a 150 year 28" average to a 35" average for about the last 15 years.   I hope this can be maintained for an extended period, since warm winters are a bore otherwise.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived