Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Well December 2015 had 0 nights of 32F or lower so obviously it has happened.

December is only month. All 3 months needed to fall below the 7 in March for it to happen.

19 minutes ago, nzucker said:

2015-16 had 7 in March and 0 in December.

It didn't happen in 15-16 since February had 14 days of 32 or lower  and January had 22 easily beating the 7 in March. 

Uncle had 1960 as the only time.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I can't wait until the day when we can create our own custom-tailored VR blizzards, specifying precip rates, winds, flake size, etc. Just program and strap in.

You could probably do that today with the technology we already have- it would just cost a lot.

8 hours ago, uncle W said:

March 2017 could be colder than than February...it would be the first time since 1984 that happened...before that was 1960...two very good 2017 analogs especially this month...1889-90 was one of the warmest winters of the 1800's but March was the coldest month with 17" of snowfall...March 1960 was the coldest month of that winter...only three years had the coldest month in March...1880, 1890, 1960...

I forgot to add this- what are the chances that March 2017 could be colder than both January AND February? January was pretty far above normal too, so it could happen.  I would add December to the list, but December was near normal so that will take some doing.  However March 2017 doesn't need to be as cold as March 1960 and certainly not as snowy for it to be both the coldest AND snowiest month of the entire cold season.

Some sadistic part of me wants to see a bust for all these storms just so the weenies posting updates to disinterested friends every 3 hours on Facebook are embarrassed into giving up modelology in favor of listening to people with a more considerate approach.

Jk they'll never do that anyway :hurrbear:

9 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It just... I dunno, something about it. It just doesn't look as good in this thread. Better keep posting in the storm thread for maximum impact.

Respectively agree, why not just keep it all in one place. If it becomes a historical storm it'll be cool to look back at the thread in a couple of years and see what the models showed 

2 minutes ago, weatherfreeeeak said:

Respectively agree, why not just keep it all in one place. If it becomes a historical storm it'll be cool to look back at the thread in a couple of years and see what the models showed 

You don't need a snow map for that.   

Just now, weatherfreeeeak said:

heh, I was being sarcastic. I do agree that maybe one regional snowfall map from each major model run could be acceptable in the main storm threat for posterity, but there's no need for the pages and pages of slightly different algorithms or domains or color schemes after each and every run.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived