Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

This happens in the town I work in. A house just sold for 425k, nice 3 bed 1.5 bath colonial in pristine condition. Perfect for a starter home but he sold to a builder who is going to knock it down and sell it new for 800+. Any lot that has a 50s ranch on it is almost guaranteed to be sought after by builders because they are usually 75-100 ft wide and can accommodate a large 3 story home

that's what they do here.  They buy it from Grandma for 400K and sell the new place for 900-1 mil.  It's amazing how the town is changing these past 10 yrs.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

This happens in the town I work in. A house just sold for 425k, nice 3 bed 1.5 bath colonial in pristine condition. Perfect for a starter home but he sold to a builder who is going to knock it down and sell it new for 800+. Any lot that has a 50s ranch on it is almost guaranteed to be sought after by builders because they are usually 75-100 ft wide and can accommodate a large 3 story home

7 of the top 10 counties with highest property tax in the US is in NJ. The other 3 are Westchester, Rockland, Nassau

that's what they do here.  They buy it from Grandma for 400K and sell the new place for 900-1 mil.  It's amazing how the town is changing these past 10 yrs.

The only difference is is they're not really mcmansions anymore. They are pretty high-end custom homes but we seem to be running out of buyers willing to pay over a million.

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Send the builders my way. Cash offers only please :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

You can buy a brand new constructed 3500-4000 sq ft house w/ atleast 1 acre of land for around 450k and have property taxes under 10k. 

27 minutes ago, snywx said:

No offense brother but you sound completely out of touch lol..  2202 is not small in any shape of form. It may be average but def not small. Now if you ask @IrishRob17 what small means he might just look down.

lol it's okay, I figured I confused property size with house size and just transposed two of the digits.  House specs ain't my forte, that's for sure lol.

10 minutes ago, snywx said:

You can buy a brand new constructed 3500-4000 sq ft house w/ atleast 1 acre of land for around 450k and have property taxes under 10k. 

hmmmm sounds inviting lol.  Just to be clear, when we talk about sq ftage, we're referring to "finished" area not the "unfinished" basement right?  It doesn't make much of a difference but it increases my sq ftage from 2,200 to 2,400 and my other house went from 2,850 to 3,300.

14 minutes ago, snywx said:

7 of the top 10 counties with highest property tax in the US is in NJ. The other 3 are Westchester, Rockland, Nassau

I'm surprised some aren't in Cali with all the mansions they build for the stars near the coast.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I'm surprised some aren't in Cali with all the mansions they build for the stars near the coast.

They probably only represent a small percentage of the homes in that county.

Heres an 8 million dollar home in Malibu right on the water and the taxes are 'only' 44,000. Which when you think about it is quite low

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Malibu-CA/20554528_zpid/12520_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/34.04585,-118.698499,34.016687,-118.738883_rect/14_zm/

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

They probably only represent a small percentage of the homes in that county.

Heres an 8 million dollar home in Malibu right on the water and the taxes are 'only' 44,000. Which when you think about it is quite low

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Malibu-CA/20554528_zpid/12520_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/34.04585,-118.698499,34.016687,-118.738883_rect/14_zm/

Wow, I wonder how much the taxes are for that mansion  Billy Joel owns in the Hamptons.

47 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the property tax and utility bills on Long Island are through the roof. You can find better deals on property tax in Suffolk than Nassau.

In some place out east maybe, but in western suffolk they are about the same as Nassau...even on the south shore. You are lucky to pay under 10

40 minutes ago, snywx said:

Yep. In my old condo (basically a 1 bedroom apartment, not even a true condo), i was paying almost 4k. For an apt. With neighbors above me. with no property. How? Ridiculous. 

Guys, just face reality. NYC will not see any measurable snow during this "unprecedented" winter pattern.

As I demonstated last month with another storm threat, when you have the Euro showing a whiff 5 days out, it is unheard of for NYC to receive a snowstorm despite what other models might depict.

All this cold will be wasted and it's a damn shame.

22 minutes ago, psv88 said:

In some place out east maybe, but in western suffolk they are about the same as Nassau...even on the south shore. You are lucky to pay under 10

Property taxes can be lower in Western Suffolk on condos than they are in Nassau. But detached homes are similar.

6 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Guys, just face reality. NYC will not see any measurable snow during this "unprecedented" winter pattern.

As I demonstated last month with another storm threat, when you have the Euro showing a whiff 5 days out, it is unheard of for NYC to receive a snowstorm despite what other models might depict.

Mr Negative himself

How did those last storms that you said that the area wasnt going to see snow turned out?

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Property taxes can be lower in Western Suffolk on condos than they are in Nassau. But detached homes are similar.

Didn't know that. Living in Nassau is absurd, i wanted to GTFO ASAP. Almost no green space and its boring as hell. Suffolk has a ton of parks and cool towns as well. 

16 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

how is the pattern unprecendented?  This is not even record cold or that long lasting. And let's not forget 2/9/17....models including the Euro had nothing 5-6 days out....10-15 inches later.....

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Didn't know that. Living in Nassau is absurd, i wanted to GTFO ASAP. Almost no green space and its boring as hell. Suffolk has a ton of parks and cool towns as well. 

Nassau from the Queens line to the Meadowbrook Parkway has some very dense development with the traffic getting worse over the years. Things get less congested from the Meadobrook east to the Suffolk line. Even less dense development here in SW Suffolk with more open space and less traffic.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Nassau from the Queens line to the Meadowbrook Parkway has some very dense development with the traffic getting worse over the years. Things get less congested from the Meadobrook east to the Suffolk line. Even less dense development here in SW Suffolk with more open space and less traffic.

At some point to help the planet and to stop us from destroying ourselves we're going to have to implement a policy where people simply aren't allowed to use their cars unless there are multiple people sitting in the car.  We're going to get to the point where cars with single occupancy are going to be a luxury we simply can't afford as a species.

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Very true, but i just find it so boring. Suffolk has some cool towns at least, Huntington, Northport, Port Jeff, Babylon, Patchogue, Farmingdale even (on the line), as well as the North Fork and Hamptons of course. Nassau has Long Beach, RVC (which is just ok), and Freeport. Roslyn is ok, but really no bars at all, just a few restaurants and ice cream shops, which shut down by 9. Then there is Port Washington, Glen Cove, and Great Neck, but these towns also do not have much of a night life at all. Oyster Bay is ok, but these towns are for the daytime, not the night time. The real fun is Freeport, Long Beach, Huntington, Northport, Patchogue, Port Jeff and the Hamptons. 

I agree with that, a reason why we purchased a house in Syosset 3 months ago.  Wife liked Roslyn, but I convinced her for our family Syosset was the better move.

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

At some point to help the planet and to stop us from destroying ourselves we're going to have to implement a policy where people simply aren't allowed to use their cars unless there are multiple people sitting in the car.  We're going to get to the point where cars with single occupancy are going to be a luxury we simply can't afford as a species.

That's part of the motivation for HOV lanes. The LI aquifer is getting really stressed especially under the more densely developed areas. Long Beach is really lucky in that they are permitted to tap the Llloyd with is down about 1300 feet. The barrier islands get this right since the Magothy above this gets salt water intrusion right near the Ocean. I visited friends in  Western Nassau near the Queens line and they have all types of problems with water quality. The have to use a shallower aquifer with plenty of development right on top. That area also has issues with high iron content.

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Very true, but i just find it so boring. Suffolk has some cool towns at least, Huntington, Northport, Port Jeff, Babylon, Patchogue, Farmingdale even (on the line), as well as the North Fork and Hamptons of course. Nassau has Long Beach, RVC (which is just ok), and Freeport. Roslyn is ok, but really no bars at all, just a few restaurants and ice cream shops, which shut down by 9. Then there is Port Washington, Glen Cove, and Great Neck, but these towns also do not have much of a night life at all. Oyster Bay is ok, but these towns are for the daytime, not the night time. The real fun is Freeport, Long Beach, Huntington, Northport, Patchogue, Port Jeff and the Hamptons. 

One of my favorite parts of living in Long Beach beside the beach and boardwalk was the restaurant scene. But places like Farmingdale are quickly developing one of the hottest restaurant scenes on Long Island. It is amazing what they did in just the last few years.

That's part of the motivation for HOV lanes. The LI aquifer is getting really stressed especially under the more densely developed areas. Long Beach is really lucky in that they are permitted to tap the Llloyd with is down about 1300 feet. The barrier islands get this right since the Magothy above this gets salt water intrusion right near the Ocean. I visited friends in  Western Nassau near the Queens line and they have all types of problems with water quality. The have to use a shallower aquifer with plenty of development right on top. That area also has issues with high iron content.

Is this why water pressure is also getting less?

People have to give up the idea that tap water is completely safe- it clearly no longer is.

I put a permanent filter on my water this year and the difference in water quality is night and day.

Permanent filter cost 500 and still has to be replaced once a year, but it's well worth it.

9 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

I agree with that, a reason why we purchased a house in Syosset 3 months ago.  Wife liked Roslyn, but I convinced her for our family Syosset was the better move.

That is a very pretty area. I used to go to Bicycle Planet which I believe was close to that area.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived