Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

You should get on that monthly fixed rate... I do that with central Hudson, my bills proratedat 129$ a month, never changes now. 

I am on the monthly but i have kids who don't know how to turn the lights off lol... For the past 5 yrs I've been in the 180 range with O&R. In the summer I save a ton of money but it comes back to bite me in the winter when im not using half the electricity yet still paying for it

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, snywx said:

14k is steep bro especially for ulster county. I have 3/4 acre here and im 6.5k and thats with Minisink schools.

I have the highest school budget around (per capita) 71.9 million, Wallkill school district... plus 8 acres and a house I just built 2 years ago... I'm getting the shaft on taxes 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I have the highest school budget around 71.9 million, Wallkill school district... plus 8 acres and a house I just built 2 years ago... I'm getting the shaft on taxes 

Walkill really? I would have thought it was Monroe-Woodbury. My parents pay 11k in Woodbury for a townhouse. Walkill is an awfully small S.D for that budget. Someone is getting rich lol

3 minutes ago, snywx said:

Walkill really? I would have thought it was Monroe-Woodbury. My parents pay 11k in Woodbury for a townhouse. Walkill is an awfully small S.D for that budget. Someone is getting rich lol

Oh yea dude... the ENTIRE district has 3,056 kids... that's on average only 230 kids per class.... 71.9 Mill... is out F'ing ragous 

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Oh yea dude... the ENTIRE district has 3,056 kids... that's on average only 230 kids per class.... 71.9 Mill... is out F'ing ragous 

Jeez! Im assuming these kids are using tables made of platinum and Mercedes cheese busses lol. Question is who is voting in this school budget?

Just now, snywx said:

Jeez! Im assuming these kids are using tables made of platinum and Mercedes cheese busses lol. Question is who is voting in this school budget?

Not me!..... and.... and.... to top it all off, we receive 28million in state aid....Staffs gotta be getting rich... my kids not in school yet so idk all the details

27 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Come on man. A 5000 sq foot house on LI for 160k? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I paid 385k for 2000 sq feet, which includes the finished basement...maybe you mean 500 sq feet

It was in really bad shape when I got and no one had lived in it for over a year.  I basically had to gut the whole place.  And it's not like I just bought it lol, it was 160K back in October 1996 when we (my dad and I) bought it together.  He lived downstairs and I lived upstairs.  During that time we gutted the kitchen, the bathrooms, knocked down a few walls, replaced all the windows, painted both the outside and inside, replaced the roof of the house and the garage (both were leaking), etc.  My dad passed away in 2014 and I've been doing additional renovations since, including replacing the plumbing (a second time), because the water is so hard that it caused the pipes to rust.  I've also replaced the gas boiler and water heater twice because the water is so hard.  Also, it's listed as Malverne, but it's closer to Lynbrook, the area is okay, I wouldn't say it's an amazing area.

When we bought this house, you could buy houses cheaper than this (smaller and in better condition) for around 120-140K.

17 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I have the highest school budget around (per capita) 71.9 million, Wallkill school district... plus 8 acres and a house I just built 2 years ago... I'm getting the shaft on taxes 

8 acres !  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, since I live alone in this house, my sister wants me to sell it and move to the Poconos where she is at, I spend quite a bit of time there in the summer anyway, it gorgeous, near a lake and 2 acres of property.  Her house is smaller than mine, but on 2 acres- who cares.  I could just have another one built.

The one I'm in right now is on a quarter acre if even that (it's actually 160 ft x 100 ft.)

33 minutes ago, snywx said:

I think you mean 500 sq ft lol.. If you think 5000 sq ft is average then 1) can I borrow some money or 2) you are talking out your culo

lol I should have added that I bought it together with my dad back in 1996.  Prices were lower back then.  My taxes have increased fourfold since then.  We got a 15 yr mortgage back in 1996 so the bank was paying the taxes for us from 1996-2011.  Anyway back when we bought it taxes were about 3K.  My dad passed away in 2014 and since the end of the mortgage in 2011, the taxes have gone way up, so now it's like 12K and I pay four times a year.  

About the heating bill I don't know what to say, I've heard from others thast PSE&G is involved in highway robbery and so is  National Grid.  In the summer my bills are a lot less since I don't have central A/C and use window units but in the winter everything skyrockets.

I had no idea taxes were that high in the Hudson Valley. Those are North Jersey prices. 

Im at $7500. Small farm house with a shade under 5 acres. Unfortunately, I need to put an addition on, which will likely double my yearly taxes. But, baby toys take up tremendous amounts of space and we are running out of room.

8 hours ago, psv88 said:

It is and I don't. You need 150k to break even with one kid. 200k with two kids. Its awful.

This. Plus the commute on the miserable Long Island rail road and the subway for an 1:20 one way to get to work. I tell my wife we need to move out of this part of the country. She wants to stay because of family. At least I can be on a beach within 15 mins. That's the one advantage to me. (That's also why I like the summer hot). 

6 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

$1 & a dream (lotto), haha.

Prob easier to sell one of my kids. Anyone want a 7 year old? Fluent in ipads, minecraft, and watching youtube videos of other people playing video games. Only eats cheeseburgers and oatmeal. 

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

This. Plus the commute on the miserable Long Island rail road and the subway for an 1:20 one way to get to work. I tell my wife we need to move out of this part of the country. She wants to stay because of family. At least I can be on a beach within 15 mins. That's the one advantage to me. (That's also why I like the summer hot). 

For me the commute to anywhere other than midtown is at least 1:30. I have no interest in commuting 3 hours a day, but i may have to in order to pay the bills. Long Island jobs just don't pay enough to allow one to live here.

14 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Prob easier to sell one of my kids. Anyone want a 7 year old? Fluent in ipads, minecraft, and watching youtube videos of other people playing video games. Only eats cheeseburgers and oatmeal. 

Hahaha. My ex-girlfriends 3 year-old was able to pull up and watch videos on YouTube on her iPhone. I guess that's what the incoming generation is going to know, handheld devices. Kinda crazy when you think about it

9 hours ago, Paragon said:

lol I should have added that I bought it together with my dad back in 1996.  Prices were lower back then.  My taxes have increased fourfold since then.  We got a 15 yr mortgage back in 1996 so the bank was paying the taxes for us from 1996-2011.  Anyway back when we bought it taxes were about 3K.  My dad passed away in 2014 and since the end of the mortgage in 2011, the taxes have gone way up, so now it's like 12K and I pay four times a year.  

About the heating bill I don't know what to say, I've heard from others thast PSE&G is involved in highway robbery and so is  National Grid.  In the summer my bills are a lot less since I don't have central A/C and use window units but in the winter everything skyrockets.

So are your taxes 12k a year or 48k a year? 

On a 5,000 sq ft house there is no way your taxes are 12k a year...or 48k...this doesnt make sense. 

Can you attach a photo of your house?

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

So are your taxes 12k a year or 48k a year? 

On a 5,000 sq ft house there is no way your taxes are 12k a year...or 48k...this doesnt make sense. 

Can you attach a photo of your house?

12K a year so 3000 quarterly, and no for privacy reasons I won't do that (it wouldn't matter anyway, there's not much you can tell from the outside.)

I've thrown in 200K for renovations which are still ongoing.  Redoing the entire first floor and tore down the upstairs bathroom and then over the summer, installing a new fireplace, laundry room and separate entrance as well as a sliding door (or French doors- haven't decided) and back deck.

How long have you lived on Long Island? I've been on the Island since the early 80s, and taxes are radically different in different parts of the Island.  I started out with a 60x120 property around 4000 sq ft paying about 9000 annual taxes (1982) for about 220K (in a better area and in better condition) and bought this back in 1996 for 160K and started out with 3000 in taxes per year which are now up to 12,000 per year.  I do the tax reduction thing with Fred Perry but it's a fight every year- the county assessed my property at 450,000 when the condition doesn't merit it.  The first thing I had to do when I came here was redo the roof of the garage because of a termite infestation and I'm going to redo the roof of the house over the summer.

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Sounds like that kid from Two and a Half Men.

The taxes are outrageous because the politicians commit highway robbery here.  That's why I'm seriously considering moving to the Poconos where you can have a ton of land on the cheap.  Work isn't a consideration for me, I have no one to support but myself and I can do that from there just as well as I can from here.  I just love going into the city for the nightlife, so I'd have to cut back on that from once a week to once a month if I moved to the Poconos.

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

sounds exactly like my 7 yr olds, except for the food part.  (we got lucky there), on the tax issue-property taxes are crazy-we used to be the cheapest in the Tri-state not anymore...$7500 in 2003 has gone to $14,000 in 2016.    At least we have great schools here...not sure how future generations will afford it though.

16 minutes ago, Paragon said:

12K a year so 3000 quarterly, and no for privacy reasons I won't do that (it wouldn't matter anyway, there's not much you can tell from the outside.)

I've thrown in 200K for renovations which are still ongoing.  Redoing the entire first floor and tore down the upstairs bathroom and then over the summer, installing a new fireplace, laundry room and separate entrance as well as a sliding door (or French doors- haven't decided) and back deck.

How long have you lived on Long Island? I've been on the Island since the early 80s, and taxes are radically different in different parts of the Island.  I started out with a 60x120 property around 4000 sq ft paying about 9000 annual taxes (1982) for about 220K (in a better area and in better condition) and bought this back in 1996 for 160K and started out with 3000 in taxes per year which are now up to 12,000 per year.  I do the tax reduction thing with Fred Perry but it's a fight every year- the county assessed my property at 450,000 when the condition doesn't merit it.  The first thing I had to do when I came here was redo the roof of the garage because of a termite infestation and I'm going to redo the roof of the house over the summer.

My entire life. Whatever, the numbers don't add up, but it is what it is. I googled 5,000 sq foot homes and came up with this and several other similar sized homes. 

awuwdv.gif

There are no houses in Malverne this size and there is no way you paid 160k for a house that large, and only pay 12k in taxes. 

Your numbers are off. 

Did a quick search on Trulia and this is the most expensive and largest home i found in Malverne by sq foot. 

$729,000 for 2500 sq ft, on a lot size of 6,000 sq feet. Taking the market value, your home would be worth $1.4 million or so...lol...

https://www.trulia.com/property/3254886547-40-Park-Blvd-Malverne-NY-11565

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My entire life. Whatever, the numbers don't add up, but it is what it is. I googled 5,000 sq foot homes and came up with this and several other similar sized homes. 

awuwdv.gif

There are no houses in Malverne this size and there is no way you paid 160k for a house that large, and only pay 12k in taxes. 

Your numbers are off. 

Did a quick search on Trulia and this is the most expensive and largest home i found by sq foot. 

$729,000 for 2500 sq ft, on a lot size of 6,000 sq feet. Taking the market value, your home would be worth $1.4 million or so...lol...

https://www.trulia.com/property/3254886547-40-Park-Blvd-Malverne-NY-11565

Holy **** my house looks NOTHING like that.

I think we have a massive communication issue with what 5000 sq feet means.  It's a total of all three floors (first and second, plus the basement). 

That right there looks like a mansion and more like 10,000-15,000 sq feet.

Hold on, I'll see if I can post some nonprivate pictures of it.  From the viewer's point of view, you can see the driveway and my car on the left side.  MLS listing that I bought it from has it at 4,900 sq ft but some other paperwork I have lists it as 4,076 sq ft.  Not sure why the discrepancy is there.

355.jpg

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Holy **** my house looks NOTHING like that.

I think we have a massive communication issue with what 5000 sq feet means.  It's a total of all three floors (first and second, plus the basement). 

That right there looks like a mansion and more like 10,000-15,000 sq feet.

Hold on, I'll see if I can post some nonprivate pictures of it.  From the viewer's point of view, you can see the driveway and my car on the left side.  MLS listing that I bought it from has it at 4,900 sq ft but some other paperwork I have lists it as 4,076 sq ft.  Not sure why the discrepancy is there.

355.jpg

below grade does not count for square footage for tax/real estate purposes that's why

Guess the MLS listing hoodwinked me (or I misread what it said) I looked up my house in the Nassau County database by block and lot number and it says

2,202 sq ft.......

Could be that I mistook lot size for house size lol.

This 2,202 square foot house sits on a 9,480 square foot lot and features 5 bathrooms (when I bought it, it had 3 bathrooms but I added two more and rented out the front of the house that you see in the picture there after my dad passed away- hence the privacy concern about posting pics.)

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

below grade does not count for square footage for tax/real estate purposes that's why

Yeah, I was basing my notion that 5,000 sq ft isn't a lot on the fact that I believed it was around 5,000 sq. ft.  Sorry for the confusion, but I guess I just learned something lol.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Guess the MLS listing hoodwinked me (or I misread what it said) I looked up my house in the Nassau County database by block and lot number and it says

2,202 sq ft.......

Could be that I mistook lot size for house size lol.

This 2,202 square foot house sits on a 9,480 square foot lot and features 5 bathrooms (when I bought it, it had 3 bathrooms but I added two more and rented out the front of the house that you see in the pictures there after my dad passed away- hence the privacy concern about posting pics.)

That's more like it...but that raises the question as to why your electric bill is $1100 a month haha...

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived