Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both those March storms were pretty lame in our area, we didn't even have delayed openings at the district I was teaching in at the time. Not saying they weren't fun, but one at least mixed with rain. But hey I'd be thrilled to see that again.

Really? I got 7 and a day off school in Linden. First snow day in like 3 years

On 2/14/2017 at 5:03 AM, Paragon said:

Moncton, New Brunswick or St John's, Newfoundland will do quite nicely too.

I checked a bunch of places on the east coast and you're far better off in Caribou Maine than you are in the Canadian Maritimes.  Caribou averages close to 300" of snow per year, while the Maritimes' average is only a little above 100"  Another positive about Caribou is they have some of the least levels of allergies of any city.

Caribou averages just under 109" snow per winter.

Its snowiest winter was 2007-08 with 197.8" snow:image015.png)

16 hours ago, Paragon said:

Personally, I like April snows better :-P

But the last snowy March we had was actually only two Marches ago- remember the really cold 2014-15 winter? We had almost 20" of snow in March and a single digit low on the last day of February, if it had been one day later it would have been an almost unprecedented single digit March low ;-)

Ah, you're right, good call. Still... my records show 9.6" in March '15 which is not exactly a banner month for snowfall. The cold was definitely memorable, though. Ice yachts on the Hudson deep into meteorological spring.

24 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

And the new GEFS has just joined the EPS with a continued torch next weekend into the following week, way warmer than normal right into March

This is false, in fact it shows cooler than normal 850s and 2m temps the monday and at least tuesday after. 

14 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

we all know:

A it will torch

B the torch will last longer than modeled

C the daily highs will be at least 3 degrees above guidance.

-

Dec +2

Jan +7

Feb (likely to be +5 or better)

Torch city-when will it ever end?   Torch torch torch!  Live it love it embrace it...

Agree

12 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Exactly. So why lie about what the data shows? Makes no sense.

Agree

The extremes keep getting more extreme.

The 74°F rise in hourly temps in Fairbanks in the last 53 hours is a station record. (75°F between hourly obs). @NWSFairbanks @AlaskaWxpic.twitter.com/bhCHwZL6Ls  

https://mobile.twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/831649213221965824/photo/1#

The rate of warming at certain spots has been really remarkable: the Salcha RAWS, for example, warmed from -45°F at 9am on Sunday to +45°F at 1pm today.  This is extreme even by interior Alaska standards.

At Fairbanks the low on Sunday morning was -41°F, and today's high so far is +35°F; this is the warmest it has ever been within two calendar days of a -40°F or colder reading.  The warmest it's ever been within a single day of -40°F is +21°F (in 2012), and the warmest within 3 days is +44°F (2009).  So this is one for the history books.

http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/

45 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

we all know:

A it will torch

B the torch will last longer than modeled

C the daily highs will be at least 3 degrees above guidance.

-

Dec +2

Jan +7

Feb (likely to be +5 or better)

Torch city-when will it ever end?   Torch torch torch!  Live it love it embrace it...

It will end in April, so that we will get cold rains and be cooped up inside

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived