Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

I only have 10" less than you and my average annual total is probably 30 % of yours. And my elevation is 150 feet, not in Catskills.

I'm already above season average. Are you?

my elevations is 280 feet lol... latitude doesn't mean elevation...I'm done with this "competition" back and forth your hell bent on continueing... move on bro... nobody cares this much but you lol

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

my elevations is 280 feet lol... latitude doesn't mean elevation...I'm done with this "competition" back and forth your hell bent on continueing... move on bro... nobody cares this much but you lol

You wrote that it was an interior winter. And this is the banter thread. 

You voluntarily came in and responded to a post which wasn't about you.

Next 30 day period looks below normal.    18 BN days   12 AN days.    Plus, looked to still be going strong even after the 30 day period ie.March 12+.    CFS has below normal heights and 'troughy'  appearance even in April.    After 23 months of above normal temps., a convincing end to string may be at hand.

Based on the fact that Isotherm has not posted his thoughts about the second half of February for about a week and from bluewave's very pessimistic post today, NYC is going to experience another 2007-2008 styled winter as the end result. New England continues to cash in at our own expense, which is very depressing to experience.

It is never a good thing when the Euro is alone in showing a snowstorm for us six days out. It is almost guaranteed that tonight's 0z run will show a whiff out to sea.

And it is a damn travesty that NYC can't even retain snow cover for more than 3 days for the past 2 years, and our snow cover from yesterday is no exception to this rule.

18 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Based on the fact that Isotherm has not posted his thoughts about the second half of February for about a week and from bluewave's very pessimistic post today, NYC is going to experience another 2007-2008 styled winter as the end result. New England continues to cash in at our own expense, which is very depressing to experience.

It is never a good thing when the Euro is alone in showing a snowstorm for us six days out. It is almost guaranteed that tonight's 0z run will show a whiff out to sea.

And it is a damn travesty that NYC can't even retain snow cover for more than 3 days for the past 2 years, and our snow cover from yesterday is no exception to this rule.

What did I post that was pessimistic? First, many spots have already reached their normal seasonal snowfall early like JFK and ISP is at 31.5".

This current window for snow stays open through the storm potential later next week and then we get a thaw or relaxation for a time.

I don't think you could have asked for a better snowfall outcome this winter for how mild it has been with so few cold days.

20 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

good lord dude-hit the showers for awhile.

yes, it's been a mild winter...quite mild when you look at the departures to date.  Most forecasts were not this mild, I get it, I was expecting a much colder winter than we've had.   However, we're lucky to have had the snows we've had.  You could get a 01-02 or 11-12 ratter with temps this warm.

You're complaining that that Euro is the only model with a storm?   I'd agree with the statement if the one model was the CMC or some other garbage model.   The GFS is not that far from the Euro, BTW

4 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

The clipper looks way more south than modeled currently. Hopefully it could hit the city with an inch or so tonight!

Rgem has persistently shown a coating to 1" for NYC and LI and the Euro today had close to that as well.

so far this season the analogs that were weak la nina or weak negative after an el nino have three that stand out...They weren't that cold and you can say they were mild...snowfall was good all three years...All three years had a major storm...those years are 1959-60, 1992-93, and 2005-06...we are running close to 2005-06 for average temperature and lowest winter minimum...both 14 as of today...snowfall was 30"-40" in 2005-06 across the area...We could end up with that amount especially if we get another storm like yesterday...

21 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

2007-08 this is not. I have almost triple the snow total for that year already. No complaints here.

Its the kind of winter that may look pretty good in the books.   No reason to think we can't exceed 40" out here, which is tough to complain about.  But I can't think fondly about a winter that offered fall weather during the holidays, mostly bare ground days during DJF, and no real extended cold.  The runup of snowfall totals is nice though.

16 minutes ago, ag3 said:

ISP has 31.5"

BDR has 27.3"

JFK has 23.3"

LGA has 23.1"

Most people dont realize that ISP is actually further north than LGA and 15 miles further north than JFK. The airport itself is located in Ronkonkoma, almost 5 miles north of the Great South Bay, almost mid-island. The name Islip airport is a bit deceiving. 

10 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Its the kind of winter that may look pretty good in the books.   No reason to think we can't exceed 40" out here, which is tough to complain about.  But I can't think fondly about a winter that offered fall weather during the holidays, mostly bare ground days during DJF, and no real extended cold.  The runup of snowfall totals is nice though.

Yes, exactly what I was getting at. Because, given the bolded, this could have VERY easily have been a bottom of the barrel winter WRT snowfall. Meanwhile, it won't be. Sure, the argument could be made for the cold, I get that. I guess I'm just being content with the warm and snow, when it could have very easily been warm without snow.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived