Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Liking this post more and more as today's GFS totally breaks up the pattern as soon as we enter the cold period. Terrible news for sure. We already see a second torch way before we enter the favorable period. I had a hunch that everything will start to go downhill in the modeling on this day.

What are you talking about? This is the 12z:

gfs_z500a_namer_53.png

Looks more like a reload than a breakdown to me. 

I can't understand all the raving going on about how great Feb. will be.    I only see spotty cold now during the first 16 days of the month.     Throwing  in Jan 30-31, I could really identify just 7 out 18 days as being below normal, best perhaps, is the Feb. 6-9 time frame.   Used the much maligned CFS of course.  We keep sliding forward and soon it won't matter anyhow.

12 hours ago, CIK62 said:

I can't understand all the raving going on about how great Feb. will be.    I only see spotty cold now during the first 16 days of the month.     Throwing  in Jan 30-31, I could really identify just 7 out 18 days as being below normal, best perhaps, is the Feb. 6-9 time frame.   Used the much maligned CFS of course.  We keep sliding forward and soon it won't matter anyhow.

You gotta keep that CFS crap out of the main discussion thread. I'm not going to respond to your post in there. But you are definitely using it to troll. You only post about it when it flips to warm. This is not wishcasting it's fact, the model is garbage

The MJO and STRAT drive Feb or not and that is what we discuss away ad nauseam . 

The maps do a decent job at explaining  the propagation of the MJO  or the actual warming  at 10mb  and 50mb and  it`s anomalies.

You think of the 500 posters viewing this want to see 

The current Siberian High, Aleutian Low and North Atlantic High is a classic wave 1 precursory flux machine.

in lieu of showing an EPO/NAO 500 MB anomaly progression . Don`t the  compressed maps do that for you ? 

If you don`t ok . 

5 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Still can't join the hoopla about Feb. going on here.   First halve has spotty cold and looks AN on the CFS despite below normal heights.   Then by the 17th. the roof seems about to cave in.    What am I missing?

I hope you are using more than the CFS!  Terrible model.   I think there's agreement that the 1st half of the month looks cold, but who knows on the 2nd half.  Given the propensity for the EPO to swing wildly around this year, a predominantly positive AO and zero help in the Atlantic I would not count on the cold pattern lasting more than 2 weeks at this juncture.

My wife's family is from the Abruzzo region of Italy; Fraine specifically. Elevation 2,500. Hopefully everyone is staying safe. There are reports of 10-15 feet of snow having fallen to this point in the season. Check out the story re: hotel avalanche in Farindola. I know there are fatalities already being reported.

On 1/17/2017 at 1:12 PM, Hailstorm said:

Liking this post more and more as today's GFS totally breaks up the pattern as soon as we enter the cold period. Terrible news for sure. We already see a second torch way before we enter the favorable period. I had a hunch that everything will start to go downhill in the modeling on this day.

Next ones to bite the dust: GEFS, CMC and EPS ensembles. Add bluewave to the mix who has just expressed his bearish thoughts of the upcoming pattern and is almost ready to wave the white flag.

11 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

Next ones to bite the dust: GEFS, CMC and EPS ensembles. Add bluewave to the mix who has just expressed his bearish thoughts of the upcoming pattern and is almost ready to wave the white flag.

Psst hey you. Did you see that the pattern shown at the end of those runs aren't bad, just a relaxation of the pattern before it reloads again? And also bluewave isn't being bearish he's stating whats being shown 

40th anniversary of snow in South Florida.

http://www.weather.gov/media/mfl/news/SnowArticleSouthFlorida40th.pdf

On January 19th, 1977, snow fell in South Florida for the first time in recorded history. Residents and visitors were both surprised and thrilled at the rare phenomena, and local newspapers ran headlines which were nearly as big as it would be for major national or 

world events. News of President Jimmy Carter’s inauguration was pushed out of the headlines. Snow was seen across all of Southeast Florida as far south as Homestead and even on Miami Beach. Snow was officially reported by weather observers in West Palm Beach, LaBelle, Hollywood, and Royal Palm Ranger Station in deep South Miami-Dade County. Reports of snow mixed with rain were even received from the Bahamas in Freeport on the other side of the Gulf Stream from Southeast Florida.

Although snow in Florida is not as rare as it is believed to be, the farthest south snow had been previously observed was along a Fort Myers to Fort Pierce line in February 1899.

The snow came on the heels of a strong Arctic cold front which moved rapidly down the Florida peninsula from late on January 18th through the pre-dawn hours of January 19th. A strong arctic high pressure area settled over the lower Mississippi Valley and pumped very cold air into Florida (Figure 1). At the same time, a band of clouds and of precipitation associated with an upper level trough (Figure 2) followed the passage of the arctic front, and every reporting station in north and central Florida recorded at least a trace of snow. Tampa measured .20 inches and Plant City, east of Tampa, measured up to 2 inches of the white stuff. West Palm Beach reported its first snowfall on record at 6:10 AM and continued to report light snow through 8 AM. LaBelle also reported snow in their cooperative observation report submitted the morning of January 19th.

Rain began to mix with snow over areas farther south, and eventually fell as snow flurries across Broward and Miami-Dade counties between 8 and 9:30 AM. Miami International Airport, the official weather reporting site for Miami, did not observe the snowfall. However, cooperative stations in Hollywood and Royal Palm Ranger Station in far southern Miami-Dade County reported a trace of snow. As a result of this and the widespread eyewitness reports of snowfall, an asterisk is included in the official precipitation records for Miami to indicate the widespread reports of snow on the morning of January 19th.

It is interesting to note that although air temperatures were slightly above freezing when the snow fell, the freezing level on the morning of the 19th was at only 1,500 feet above sea level which is at a very low altitude for South Florida. This prevented the precipitation from completely melting before reaching the ground.

The snow occurred during a prolonged period of very cold temperatures in South Florida. The first arctic front moved through the region late on the afternoon of January 16th with temperatures failing to reach the 60 degree mark in Miami for four consecutive days from January 17th to the 20th. The coldest air and snow arrived with the second arctic front on the 19th, with the afternoon high only reaching the mid to upper 40s. Miami’s afternoon high of 47 degrees that day stands as the 2nd coldest afternoon high on record.

The most significant impact of the frigid air was felt on the night of the 19th and morning of the 20th when winds decreased, causing temperatures to plummet to at or belowfreezing virtually everywhere in South Florida, including 27 degrees at the southern tip of the Florida peninsula in Flamingo. Four locations in South Florida tied or set their all- time recorded low temperature, records which stand to this day. Here are some of the low temperatures recorded across South Florida on the morning of January 20th:Temperatures over interior and western sections of South Florida were at or below freezing for 10 to 14 hours, and some locations were at or below 28 degrees for 4 to 8

hours. The extended duration of freezing temperatures devastated the agricultural community in South Florida with estimated losses of $350 million statewide and over $100 million in Dade County alone. Skinned fruit such as tangerines, tangelos and temple oranges were almost totally destroyed, as were tender vegetables such as beans, corn, tomatoes and squash. A total of 35 counties in Florida were declared disaster areas.

Sprinkles ran all night at most farms and nurseries, and some of the water also got on to some roadways, causing ice to form on some western Miami-Dade County roads and causing the Florida Highway Patrol to issue travelers advisories for ice-covered roads.

Could snow fall again in South Florida? History has already shown us that it can, and if it’s happened once, it can definitely happen again someday. In fact, there were unconfirmed reports of snow mixing with rain in South Florida on January 9th, 2010 from a very similar weather pattern as the one that occurred 40 years ago.

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived