SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter 2016-17 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same situation with western Japan, which is famous for those walls of snow that are stories high. Even their east coast is snowy, Fukushima has a climate fairly similar to NYC, but they average 75 inches of snow, and their winters are drier than ours.

Random question and maybe Don or someone else has an answer. I was just wondering what were some of the techniques used to measure snow pre 1920's and the 1800's? Were they the same as we do it today? I only ask because looking at some of the decadal averages for snow back then they are lower than they are today obviously but why? Maybe it's just because storms really are getting stronger and more frequent but also maybe because the techniques were different resulting in always having a lower snow total than we would measure today in an identical storm. Thanks in advance!

54 minutes ago, bluewave said:

8-11 feet in the last week. It really puts into perspective how small the models differences for snowfall here 

relative to those amounts even with a January 2015 style model spread.

C16AJkrWQAEdF54.jpg-small.jpg

Can't imagine 4 feet in one day.  The rates must have been incredible.  

This is my prediction of what will go down over the upcoming week in regards to the models for February:

Today: EPS shows a good pattern: -EPO, +PNA and +PDO

Tomorrow: EPS shows a better pattern with a favorable MJO pulse next month

Sunday: EPS shows a great pattern with a potential -AO developing.

Monday: EPS shows a blockbuster and historic pattern with an -NAO added to the mix.

Tuesday: EPS backs off on the -NAO. Typical pro-snow posters claim that we do not need a -NAO to get a KU.

Wednesday: EPS fails to drop the AO to negative values. Wishcasters are not backing down and say, "Remember the winters of 2013-2015 everyone? There was no Atlantic blocking and we all did well!"

Thursday: EPS loses the +PNA and +PDO. Weenies begin to feel a bit of pressure but state that "we should look at the Euro control run for trends instead."

Friday/Next Weekend: EPS pretty much eradicates the -EPO, savoring only three days in which the EPO is not positive. The cold period is very brief; and the torch resumes for the rest of February." PB GFI says "we should look at the 850/925 mb levels instead of 2m temps."

Next Monday: New Euro/JMA weeklies depict an all-out furnace through Week 4. Don S. finally folds and says that we all should expect the worst and embrace a winter of less than 15" of snowfall for NYC.

5 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

This is my prediction of what will go down over the upcoming week in regards to the models for February:

Monday: EPS shows a blockbuster and historic pattern with an -NAO added to the mix.

Tuesday: EPS backs off on the -NAO. Typical pro-snow posters claim that we do not need a -NAO to get a KU.

Wednesday: EPS fails to drop the AO to negative values. Wishcasters are not backing down and say, "Remember the winters of 2013-2015 everyone? There was no Atlantic blocking and we all did well!"

Thursday: EPS loses the +PNA and +PDO. Weenies begin to feel a bit of pressure but state that "we should look at the Euro control run for trends instead."

Friday/Next Weekend: EPS pretty much eradicates the -EPO, savoring only three days in which the EPO is not positive. The cold period is very brief; and the torch resumes for the rest of February." PB GFI says "we should look at the 850/925 mb levels instead of 2m temps."

Next Monday: New Euro/JMA weeklies depict an all-out furnace through Week 4. Don S. finally folds and says that we all should expect the worst and embrace a winter of less than 15" of snowfall for NYC.

Thats cruel

45 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

This kind of February furnace? ;)

FebruaryNightmare.jpg

1 hour ago, Hailstorm said:

Ohhhh stfu!!!

21 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Someone is jelly.

Your constantly on my Di**, either you really like me and it's hard to admit, or you really don't, either way you post like a 9 year old 

*interior winter

*#nycmetro

*someones jelly

^^^ every one of these garbage posts was in an OBS or discussion thread, for someone so butthurt about where posters post, id imagine you of all people would understand the use of a banter thread, but apparently not 

the quality of your posts is absolute ****, your posts have been getting deleted faster than Tony Loves Snow it's laughable 

you contribute nothing but one liners and snippets towards the interior crew, occasionally you post that it was 55F on Long Island and you ate your lunch outside(as if anyone cares anyway) 

do me me a favor, I actually enjoy posting and have nothing against people in other locales.. (unlike you). Although you seem to follow and post in the interior thread more than anywhere else on this boards...so either block me or PM, if not post your ****ty trolls nonsense in banner and leave the rest of the board out of your childish tantrums towards the interior crew

8 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Your constantly on my Di**, either you really like me and it's hard to admit, or you really don't, either way you post like a 9 year old 

*interior winter

*#nycmetro

*someones jelly

^^^ everyone of these garbage posts was in an OBS or discussion thread, for someone so butthurt about where posters post, of imagine you of all people would understand the use of a banter thread, but apparently not 

the quality of your posts is absolute ****, your posts have been getting deleted faster than Tony Loves Snow it's laughable 

you contribute nothing but one liners and snippets towards the interior crew, occasionally you post that it was 55F on long (as if anyone cares anyway) 

do me me a favor, I actually enjoy posting and have nothing against people in other locales.. (unlike you). Although you seem to follow and post in the interior thread more than anywhere else on this boards...so either block me or PM, if not post your ****ty trolls nonsense in banner and leave the rest of the board out of your childish tantrums towards the interior crew

*Mic drop*

31 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

*interior winter

*#nycmetro

*someones jelly

^^^ every one of these garbage posts was in an OBS or discussion thread, for someone so butthurt about where posters post, id imagine you of all people would understand the use of a banter thread, but apparently not 

you contribute nothing but one liners and snippets towards the interior crew, occasionally you post that it was 55F on Long Island and you ate your lunch outside(as if anyone cares anyway) 

Dont waste your time with that dude.. He is the biggest troll in here. 

• BxEngine locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic

Archived