Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Oct 27th to 29th vigorous Vort max Sn/Rn/wind

Ginx snewx

46 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Not sure about that looks above normal for the next two plus weeks

Normal highs at my place (400' elev) slide from 49 down to 45 during the next 2 weeks.  I imagine that at 3,000' the norms are 10-15F colder than mine.  Two weeks of +15 would take out the snow even up there; two weeks of +5 will merely settle it.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The only one I see higher that looks reasonable is 2.75" at the Lakeport COOP.

I'm only at 1.45"... maybe the wind is causing some undercatch.

But then again, I never do well with precip on a NE wind.  I was under those bright yellows and oranges all morning but had nothing but widely spaced fat drops.

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Steel Hill is no where near 1900... that camera is around 1330.

Thanks that's a great find for me...the webcam looks right out our part of the lake. I ride my bike up there all the time and just checking Strava from summer rides yielded two max elevations - 1331' and 1255'...difference might be I didn't ride all the way to the very top - a parking lot behind building where the webcam is located.

you can compare with lake level webcam here...http://www.winnisquammarine.com/webcam/ and they now have a davis weather station. the lake is approximately 482'

2 hours ago, qg_omega said:

Not sure about that looks above normal for the next two plus weeks

The snowmakers put down a surprising amount of snow with 48 hours of run time....6 foot piles where temps were below 24F.  

I think 3000+ feet has a decent shot of keeping it...the sun sets on that high east slope at like 12pm with the low sun angle so there's terrain in the shade most of the day.  

As long as dews stay dry, even a week of 50F up there (+10C 850s) might not do it.  There's like 3" of QPF in the pack alone.

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oct 28th damn, Jay Peak

The stoke up here in the ski towns is higher than any time last winter haha.  The mood is similar to a city the day after their sports team wins the national championship.

Even if it gets warm for a couple weeks the skiers and riders needed to shake off the demons of last winter and this week helped a lot.

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The stoke up here in the ski towns is higher than any time last winter haha.  The mood is similar to a city the day after their sports team wins the national championship.

Even if it gets warm for a couple weeks the skiers and riders needed to shake off the demons of last winter and this week helped a lot.

Sounds like the mood in Ascutney might not be as bright today:

http://www.wcax.com/story/33510166/massive-rescue-effort-on-top-of-mt-ascutney

ASCUTNEY, Vt. -

The fire chief in Ascutney says it’s lucky no one was hurt in a massive rescue effort.

It took 85 people nearly all day to rescue a 42-year-old woman from the top of Mount Ascutney. The chief says conditions were dangerous with temps in the 20s and snow and ice. The woman was playing a game on her cellphone with an app called Ingress. It’s kind of like the Pokémon game craze that swept the world this summer. She told rescuers she was trying to capture a flag atop the mountain and had come here all the way from Rochester, New York.

"Very dangerous. Some of the first rescue guys had to come back out because they were soaking wet and cold. We had a rehab unit set up down there to get them warmed back up. We had to replace them with other personnel from Vermont and New Hampshire," said Chief Darrin Spaulding, Ascutney Fire Department.

The call originally came in as a woman having a heart attack and turns out she was just lost on the trail with 6 inches of snow on the ground. It was 24 degrees where she was trapped

2.69"  final.   I seem to be in the perfect place for the pivot with this storm.  About .70" of my total rainfall was from mid morning on.  Rain came in from the SE then E and finally NE.  Too bad this storm was not a month later!

This event goes to show how everything even's out climatologically.   All my whining all summer about missing every T storm and then getting jackpoted with this rainstorm shows how everything evens out long run.  

4 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I'm only at 1.45"... maybe the wind is causing some undercatch.

But then again, I never do well with precip on a NE wind.  I was under those bright yellows and oranges all morning but had nothing but widely spaced fat drops.

I had 2.30" in the stratus around 6pm. The tipper had 2.11" at that time.

Archived