Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016/17 Drought & Fire Concerns

NWNC2015

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, calculus1 said:

That escape video is absolutely terrifying.  You can hear their fear and terror.  Wow!  What a horrible situation in Gatlinburg right now.

Downeast, thanks for sharing the Westgate video.  I stayed their several summers ago and really enjoyed it.  So hard to believe that it's just gone.  Up in smoke...

They were very lucky. A couple of trees across that road and the outcome would have been very different.

32 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

From what I can gather Ober Gatlinburg is ok, the aquarium is ok and downtown seems to be ok. Also read where a lot of the restaurants where going to open to help feed the emergency service people and the help that has come in to fight the wold fires. 

Fires are still going on up there.  The company I work for has setup a red cross donation center at one of their powersport dealerships in Kodak, TN.  There are some lucky souls in The Gatlinburg area and surrounding communities.  This story could have been very different if it were not for the rain coming through.  The most interesting thing I've heard so far is the consensus that the fires were started by power lines falling from the high winds and the sparks igniting fires.  Reports that seem legit say the fires went as far as the edge of dollywood and Ripley's aquarium.  There were some big venues that were very close to disaster.  I'm not sure the current situation now,  granted it's less critical but I don't believe they are out of the woods yet.

4 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Fires are sill burning per MRX/TYS radar. They must be smaller after the rain, per VIS. However a high wind watch is in effect tonight. Again wind will arrive ahead of rain. After tonight thankfully no mountain wave setups for several days.

Wind is already starting to pickup here already. 

20 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Round 2 of SE rain looks pretty wet late weekend through most of next week- consensus for 2-4" here in GA. I think the drought map should look better next week.

Glad to see continuing chances for rain in the forecast and putting an end to the fire risk; have never been so happy to see rain.

1 hour ago, Cheeznado said:

Round 2 of SE rain looks pretty wet late weekend through most of next week- consensus for 2-4" here in GA. I think the drought map should look better next week.

Nice! With over 3.5 inches this past go round another 2 to 3 would be excellent. The NWS has rain chances for us from Saturday night through next Wednesday. I don't think iv been so happy to see rain in the forecast.

1 hour ago, Cheeznado said:

So glad to see the turnaround lately. Will be nice if this translates into more chances of winter weather with the active pattern.

8 hours ago, Cheeznado said:

So happy to hear this.  These fires have been really horrific.  At one point Monday afternoon, I was standing outside in that profoundly dry high wind, and it occurred to me I hadn't felt a wind so dry like that since I was in the desert southwest.  What happened in Gatlinburg was horrible, and we are fortunate it didn't happen in more of the drought area Monday.

9 hours ago, CherokeeGA said:

So happy to hear this.  These fires have been really horrific.  At one point Monday afternoon, I was standing outside in that profoundly dry high wind, and it occurred to me I hadn't felt a wind so dry like that since I was in the desert southwest.  What happened in Gatlinburg was horrible, and we are fortunate it didn't happen in more of the drought area Monday.

Yeah - I back up the Army Corps of Engineers property, and it is scary how dry it is... I was very nervous when I saw we had a chance for thunderstorms (lightning)... one good strike and it would get really hot, really fast :(

26 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Another large round of multi day rains are headed to north Georgia!  This should put another large dent in the worst drought in about 10 years or perhaps even longer. 

It looks like maybe 2" of rain if we are lucky. I was hoping for 4-5" but that doesn't look to be in the cards. The map FFC posted yesterday shows parts of North GA not even getting 2".

Archived