Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016/17 Drought & Fire Concerns

NWNC2015

19 hours ago, griteater said:

I was curious about the lessons learned and policy changes that may have occurred following the SE Drought from 2007 (centered over N Georgia)...and saw this article - http://www.circleofblue.org/2012/world/lessons-learned-how-drought-has-shaped-water-policy-in-georgia/

Anyone in the N Georgia area know of policy / reservoir / water use changes that came out of the 2007 drought?

People have a short memory.  Chances are folks are going about their normal business right now.  Many counties have placed burning bans but no water restrictions in place yet that im aware of in Douglas county.  In 2007 there were many more restrictions on water use. 

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol wow. Sorry I can't run the model any further looking for rain. Some of the precip shown is flurries/sleet closer to the blue ridge if it reaches the surface. Maybe the coastal is something to watch though...but don't want it to throw moisture too far west I don't wanna deal with precip type issues in the MTNS with cold filtering in on the west side.

gfs_apcpn_seus_52.png

44 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Another 5+ dry days on tap for west GA. Conditions continue to spiral out of control.  Ugly, ugly situation continuing to develop. 

IMG_1535.PNG

The latest GFS says little if any rain through day 16 and I'm going to say it doesn't rain at all in the drought areas of AL, TN, NC, GA, or SC right through Dec 1. Maybe a few upslope snow flurries, but nothing more. This drought will be with us at least until early 2018, if not longer, and will make 2007 look wet when it finally does end. 

30 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

Stone Mountain in my backyard won't allow campfires now. Infringing on my rights in the 30 degree weather

Lol you can't be serious with this. Yeah that camp fire you make sparks a forest fire that burns down a families home but hey you got your 30 degree camp fire so screw it...

5 hours ago, dwagner88 said:

That's interesting. The fire you can see just south of the TN border is now the largest fire in your state's history and it is only 10% contained. Over 5000 acres now.

I wasn't aware of how severe it is.  Folks in the far northern metro have been mentioning to me about small fires and smoke. 

1 hour ago, GaStorm said:

Smoke from wild fires further north can be seen in Forsyth county. With the NW wind it covers a good part of the county and I could smell it when I drove to Cumming not long ago.

I can smell a fire here in Lithia springs. Have no clue where it's at but something has been burning since before sunrise. 

4 hours ago, GaStorm said:

Might be other fires in the area. With the wind today it will be difficult to contain.

And here is the answer to the fire smell today. 

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
302 PM EST WED NOV 9 2016

GAZ004>009-012>016-020>025-031>035-043>045-055-101800-
WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-GORDON-PICKENS-DAWSON-
LUMPKIN-WHITE-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-PAULDING-
COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-BARROW-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-
CLAYTON-
302 PM EST WED NOV 9 2016

WITH A NORTHERLY FLOW BECOMING PREDOMINANT...AREAS OF SMOKE
EMANATING FROM THE NORTH GEORGIA AND NORTH CAROLINA FIRES WILL
DRIFT SOUTHWARD TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA INCLUDING MUCH
OF THE ATLANTA METRO. EXPECT MINOR REDUCTIONS TO VISIBILITY AND
CONTINUED SMOKY CONDITIONS THROUGH TONIGHT. AS WINDS SUBSIDE
TONIGHT...THE SMOKE MAY SUBSIDE ACROSS THE ATLANTA METRO BUT
CONTINUE FOR PORTIONS OF FAR NORTH GEORGIA. FOR AREAS WHERE THE
SMOKE CONTINUES OVERNIGHT...THE VISIBILITY WILL DROP FURTHER. AS
WINDS INCREASE ONCE AGAIN ON THURSDAY...THE SMOKE AFFECTED AREAS
WILL ONCE AGAIN INCREASE TO INCLUDE THE METRO.

$$

On 11/8/2016 at 7:07 PM, curdog said:

It's a larger fire , but not the largest in georgia, the fires in South Georgia in 07 around Waycross burned around 440,000 acres . I think they named it the Georgia Bay complex or something similar . 

Hmm. Guess my local news didn't do their research before they published this then:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/33650763/largest-fire-in-georgia-history-continues-to-burn-5000-acres

BTW the fire was up to 6500 acres this morning and was expected to rapidly grow today due to the low humidity and wind from the frontal passage. 

Archived