• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Oct 22/23rd Sat /Sun heavy rain, high wind, elevation upslope snow. All of New England

Ginx snewx

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tequila Barry move there?

I wish there were more people at resorts like Scott. That's a compliment. You know what he reports, is no bullsh*t. He does a great job.

This, Its the embellishing to draw the crowds for the almighty dollar that comes in question

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I believe the kid was probably walking down a street that was somewhat flooded and fell into a manhole where the cover had been blown off but he couldn't see it because he was walking in several inches of water. 

That's what I'm guessing, because there were other reports of blown out manhole covers. But not good for GYX. There was a FFW, but I don't think it was very long lead time.

In an industry that is driven by snow and snowfall amounts, it's crazy to think at least some resorts don't embelish a bit. With some many resorts competing for business, it's an obvious way to slightly boost yourself above the others.

Im not saying all resorts do it. It does sometimes seem though, when the mountain gets a flurry it's reported somewhere that they got an inch or whatever.

every little bit counts. If you give yourself an inch or two more during each event, you've got a couple extra feet during the year 

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's what I'm guessing, because there were other reports of blown out manhole covers. But not good for GYX. There was a FFW, but I don't think it was very long lead time.

But wouldn't you see water going into the drain? I thought that too, but if he indeed fell in, I have to think the water could be seen draining in. Let's say the water overwhelmed the drain, and was just flooded with nothing draining in. If you fell in, I would think somehow you may be able to get out as water is neither being drawn in or coming out? He wasn't a skinny kid either. Stuff happens, so maybe it's a combo of fluky things. 

Not sure GYX could have had an answer  to something like that. Sometimes sh*t happens.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

But wouldn't you see water going into the drain? I thought that too, but if he indeed fell in, I have to think the water could be seen draining in. Let's say the water overwhelmed the drain, and was just flooded with nothing draining in. If you fell in, I would think somehow you may be able to get out as water is neither being drawn in or coming out? He wasn't a skinny kid either. Stuff happens, so maybe it's a combo of fluky things. 

Not sure GYX could have had an answer  to something like that. Sometimes sh*t happens.

Latest WMUR article seems to suggest it was an "interceptor" drain that is waste water related and occasionally releases if storm water overwhelms it. They said the cover shouldn't have come loose, but it was found that way today.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tequila Barry move there?

I wish there were more people at resorts like Scott. That's a compliment. You know what he reports, is no bullsh*t. He does a great job.

Scott does an awesome job, didn't see his numbers, what did they get on average. With high winds its best to take ten measurements in areas but up on Mts good luck. Just glad the warm ground didn't steal their snow.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Latest WMUR article seems to suggest it was an "interceptor" drain that is waste water related and occasionally releases if storm water overwhelms it. They said the cover shouldn't have come loose, but it was found that way today.

Didn't this happen recently and they saved the kid?

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I think its always why the backcountry area of "Big Jay" is the real breadwinner.  That place IS on the west side and every photo that comes out of there is ridiculous.

Big Jay (at least where most people ski) is a cirque-like bowl that faces east like everywhere else- It basically wraps from Jay Peak's south face in a horseshoe that faces northeast.  I think the favor comes from being a catchment for any flow from the north through almost west. It just benefits from the bowl shape.  And the ridgeline between Big Jay and Jay Peak proper is 3400' at the low point, and 3800' or so at each end- close to a mile long (1.4km maybe?). 

Again, the leeward position, aspect and the upstream topography seem to really benefit Big Jay (and it's pretty steep).  Google earth imagery shows the vegetation quite well. The ecology develops as climate and soil dictate. A lot of snowpack and all creates a pretty open, old growth boreal/gnarled birch forest that's never been logged... good skiing. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, dryslot said:

Another 0.70" fell between yesterday and overnight bringing the storm total to 5.10"

About 50% more than my 3.42", but I'm no longer worrying that our shallow dug well won't furnish when 8 family members arrive next week.  (Having a single bathroom and 7 ladies might still be an issue.)

LOL that the Jets game attendees see flakes at barely above sea level and no one around here saw any below 1,000' (except perhaps in the Sumner woods, always a snow-catcher.)

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

About 50% more than my 3.42", but I'm no longer worrying that our shallow dug well won't furnish when 8 family members arrive next week.  (Having a single bathroom and 7 ladies might still be an issue.)

LOL that the Jets game attendees see flakes at barely above sea level and no one around here saw any below 1,000' (except perhaps in the Sumner woods, always a snow-catcher.)

In looking at the rain totals on the GYX's PNS, You can see the areas that sat under some of those embedded convective cells, It looked to be a narrow band that ran due NNE out of the gulf of Maine and along the associated front, Good luck next week on the family members not running the well dry...........;)

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

In looking at the rain totals on the GYX's PNS, You can see the areas that sat under some of those embedded convective cells, It looked to be a narrow band that ran due NNE out of the gulf of Maine and along the associated front, Good luck next week on the family members not running the well dry...........;)

I picked up an extra inch inside the house with the hvy cells moving through. ;)

35 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Every inch gained in the well tiles is about 8 more gallons of freeboard above the foot valve.  I think we'll be okay, especially since 6 of the 8 range from 1 to 10 years old.

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

I'm more and more convinced that we sit in a relatively favorable spot for events like this due to the orientation of the coastline. I think local frictional wind patterns/coastal front help to enhance rainfall (or snowfall when it comes to NORLUNs) in that northern coastal York area up through LEW. This is like the third event in the last 3 years with flash flooding on a similar set up.

Archived